• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

Another buy it now STAR WARS #1 in CGC 9.8 popped up on ebay for $1,699. I wonder if it will sell at that price? hm

You would think the under bidder on the record setting auction would be interested in this second issue. I'm surprised at how quickly the CGC 9.8s dried up on eBay. Almost all of last year saw 5 or more copies of this comic listed at any given time! I am also curious to see if the other grades see a rise.

I decided to add a Trending page to my blog. I'm thinking at the end of every month, I will write a report and add sales of note to the page. The report for January is complete:

http://swcomiccollector.blogspot.com/p/trending.html

I'm hoping to just report facts and not let my personal bias seep into the reports. That is hard when reporting on the fiasco surrounding the Star Wars #1 Hot Topic variant. But then, that is what the editorial blogs will be for. :grin:

Great idea Ron!!!! (thumbs u

I was just scanning completed auctions on ebay. And to my surprise there were eight SW #1 CGC 9.8 listings that sold between $676 - $799. And all of them but 2 were Best Offer or straight up BINs. This was from as early as 11/18/2014 - 12/10/2014.

A slab going up 250%-300% in a matter of less than two months is astounding to say the least.

SW #1 CGC 9.8 Slabs sold on Ebay

I was just scanning completed auctions on ebay. And to my surprise there were eight SW #1 CGC 9.8 listings that sold between $676 - $799. And all of them but 2 were Best Offer or straight up BINs. This was from as early as 11/18/2014 - 12/10/2014.

A slab going up 250%-300% in a matter of less than two months is astounding to say the least.

Crazy sells haven't translated to the 35 cent variant slabs yet. Think the last SW #1 35 cent variant CGC 9.4 sold for $13,500 a few weeks back and a previous one sold for $14,000. Can't imagine a 250%-%300% increase in that price.

Crazy sells haven't translated to the 35 cent variant slabs yet. Think the last SW #1 35 cent variant CGC 9.4 sold for $13,500 a few weeks back and a previous one sold for $14,000. Can't imagine a 250%-%300% increase in that price.

As you know the liquidity on the 35C slab is deficient to say the least. It can be very difficult for either buyer or seller depending on the timing of either acquiring or unloading in terms of price.

And the 9.4's certainly do not show up much but think it was back in 2009 or maybe 2010 two separate 9.4 35C slabs sold in the $4200-$4500 each on CL within several months. These were not flips as I verified unique cert #'s on each slab.

Granted at that point in time given the macro environment those were clearly "cheaper" prices. So historically based on the two price points you recently mentioned which I do believe reflect most of the new found movie news you are correct probably in that much of this new found glory is priced in there.

What I would really really want to see is if one of the 9.6 slabs happen to surface. Believe the last one sold on CL for well over $20K and that was years ago. There might have been one more recent and I would be out of the loop.

Well, it's been hitting these crazy prices for a while now...

Great time to be a seller, but I am sure as heck not buying.

I have no idea whether these prices are here to stay or not, honestly.

Not in this market.

It's a 70's Marvel, with a fairly big press run, I'd have to imagine.

More raw copies will get graded at 9.8 then are on the senseless/census , soon enough.

There is no possible way a Star Wars 1 is a rare book, in 9.8.

The big thing to consider is that Star wars comics have been more widely consumed then they were, when the last 3 movies came out.Star Wars was all about the toys, then.

So, it makes sense that the first Star Wars comic blows up to over a $1000 as the movie hype ensues.

The guy was smart enough to tout it as the only 9.8 on ebay, and I think having collectors lose their cool over an auction style listing, certainly helps feed into the fire.

I'll be willing to wager that there is a direct relationship between the continual rise of this book and the amount of butthurt out there…

I'll call it the "NM98 phenomena…"; when a seeming limitless commodity becomes increasingly valuable due to popularity of said item… leading to others who "perceive" said item to be worthless becoming overwhelmingly butthurt due to their lapse in judgement…

I believe that this phenomena is interrelated with other human flaws such as; being selfish, and stubborn leading to modern term most commonly known as "butthurt"...

Edited by Snikt!1988

Well, it's been hitting these crazy prices for a while now...

Great time to be a seller, but I am sure as heck not buying.

I have no idea whether these prices are here to stay or not, honestly.

Not in this market.

They will be a good blue chip now.

Star Wars was the most popular comic book of the 1970s.

So many people were introduced to comics because of Star Wars.

Star Wars kept Marvel in business.

Star Wars comic saved Marvel.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I saw the 9.8 SS by...Stan Lee.

Stan Lee.

Really? Forgive me if it's a boardie's, but that's just :screwy: in my book.

RIGHT? I mean what the HELL? He had ZERO to do with SW So why in anyone's right mind would they have him scribble on one?

I saw the 9.8 SS by...Stan Lee.

Stan Lee.

Really? Forgive me if it's a boardie's, but that's just :screwy: in my book.

RIGHT? I mean what the HELL? He had ZERO to do with SW So why in your right mind would you have him scribble on one?

Because people are stupid and are paying the prices.

If the money wasn't there, no one would do it.