• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

Another buy it now STAR WARS #1 in CGC 9.8 popped up on ebay for $1,699. I wonder if it will sell at that price? hm

Sold for $1,575 best offer.

Crazy ! when did this book in 9.8 explode?

October also sold a 9.8 for $1,500 on the boards the other day, which is an even better sale after the Ebay FVF's.

I guess I can provide an "outside" perspective with virtually no experience.

I decided to collect the Star Wars original 107 issues + annuals last November after being a Star Wars collector for the last 25+ years. I read comics on and off but never really considered collecting them prior to late last year.

In reality, most of the original series of collectibles around Star Wars are priced beyond belief. Try and collect the original set of action figures and the money is crazy.

When I started looking around for a possible collectible that was around the original series, that I could still afford, I found the comic run actually pretty reasonable in comparison.

When I first started looking in November, I found #1 9.8 at about $700. When I checked "gocollect" I noticed the book had been rising from about $500 to about $700 in past few months. I hesitated in buying #1 because I needed so many other issues and I could pick those up for $100 and below at 9.8 for the most part outside of a few keys. This is also started to change.

I followed the last 3 months of #1. It went from $700, $800, to $1000 in about 1-2 months. It held at $1000 for 30-45 days, then suddenly this auction popped at $1,700.

While matching, I noticed another dealer had listed qty 4 - #1 9.8 white pages at $1000. In the course of 5-6 days, it went to $1,100, $1,300, $1,500, and now he is asking $1,800 having sold one. This occurred over 5-6 days. He obviously was watching the same auction.

Side note, I was completely lucky, a good friend bought me a #1 9.8 white pages as a gift as he realized I had started collecting the series. Problem solved :-)

I guess my only point is, if the Star Wars collector crowd really shows up in force (no pun intended), I would expect this whole series to move. Star Wars people are truly "completest", so unlike the comic crowd that has moved to keys, I think Star Wars will be one of the few that still collect full runs.

The comics, in my opinion, have been one of the last "original series" collectibles to truly move. I think it will be driven by Star Wars people as much as comic people that jump in once they see the movement.

Lastly, "slabbing" has actually made it more attractive to Star Wars collectors IMO. People that have not been paying attention to the comics world (like myself), completely missed the graded - slabbing process that was created 10+ years ago.

I realize that is highly "debated" in the comics circles, but for Star Wars people, it takes away the grading process (that they have no clue about) and provides a product that "feels" like a true collectible in a case. It draws in a new crowd for comics for the more general collector.

It did for me.

So as complete outside novice (who is probably totally wrong!), I expect the entire run of Star Wars comics to move in high grade (especially 9.8), slabbed form as Disney continues to build this franchise over the next 10+ years. It will be in the parks, on the movies, etc. It will allow fathers to pass on their love the movies to their kids. It will continue to drive interest in the original series collectibles. It will allow many of us, I hope, to forget the prequels, and use this new wave to pass on our interests :-)

In fact, the mid-issues that have very low census numbers at 9.8 will get high money. Once you get a few Star Wars guys all trying to complete the best run, it does not matter to them if it is #1 or #28, they need it. I think this will surprise some comic people.

Just a theory from a non-comic guy!

I guess I can provide an "outside" perspective with virtually no experience.

I decided to collect the Star Wars original 107 issues + annuals last November after being a Star Wars collector for the last 25+ years. I read comics on and off but never really considered collecting them prior to late last year.

In reality, most of the original series of collectibles around Star Wars are priced beyond belief. Try and collect the original set of action figures and the money is crazy.

When I started looking around for a possible collectible that was around the original series, that I could still afford, I found the comic run actually pretty reasonable in comparison.

When I first started looking in November, I found #1 9.8 at about $700. When I checked "gocollect" I noticed the book had been rising from about $500 to about $700 in past few months. I hesitated in buying #1 because I needed so many other issues and I could pick those up for $100 and below at 9.8 for the most part outside of a few keys. This is also started to change.

I followed the last 3 months of #1. It went from $700, $800, to $1000 in about 1-2 months. It held at $1000 for 30-45 days, then suddenly this auction popped at $1,700.

While matching, I noticed another dealer had listed qty 4 - #1 9.8 white pages at $1000. In the course of 5-6 days, it went to $1,100, $1,300, $1,500, and now he is asking $1,800 having sold one. This occurred over 5-6 days. He obviously was watching the same auction.

Side note, I was completely lucky, a good friend bought me a #1 9.8 white pages as a gift as he realized I had started collecting the series. Problem solved :-)

I guess my only point is, if the Star Wars collector crowd really shows up in force (no pun intended), I would expect this whole series to move. Star Wars people are truly "completest", so unlike the comic crowd that has moved to keys, I think Star Wars will be one of the few that still collect full runs.

The comics, in my opinion, have been one of the last "original series" collectibles to truly move. I think it will be driven by Star Wars people as much as comic people that jump in once they see the movement.

Lastly, "slabbing" has actually made it more attractive to Star Wars collectors IMO. People that have not been paying attention to the comics world (like myself), completely missed the graded - slabbing process that was created 10+ years ago.

I realize that is highly "debated" in the comics circles, but for Star Wars people, it takes away the grading process (that they have no clue about) and provides a product that "feels" like a true collectible in a case. It draws in a new crowd for comics for the more general collector.

It did for me.

So as complete outside novice (who is probably totally wrong!), I expect the entire run of Star Wars comics to move in high grade (especially 9.8), slabbed form as Disney continues to build this franchise over the next 10+ years. It will be in the parks, on the movies, etc. It will allow fathers to pass on their love the movies to their kids. It will continue to drive interest in the original series collectibles. It will allow many of us, I hope, to forget the prequels, and use this new wave to pass on our interests :-)

In fact, the mid-issues that have very low census numbers at 9.8 will get high money. Once you get a few Star Wars guys all trying to complete the best run, it does not matter to them if it is #1 or #28, they need it. I think this will surprise some comic people.

Just a theory from a non-comic guy!

Great post, I appreciate the perspective. This run started disappearing from dollar bins about a year ago. There are a lot of issues that are really tough to find now, and there are some real gems story wise hidden in there. Check out the cover to issue #59, I asked Walt Simonson and he said no, that wasn't supposed to be a and it was not supposed to be pink either :o

Another buy it now STAR WARS #1 in CGC 9.8 popped up on ebay for $1,699. I wonder if it will sell at that price? hm

Sold for $1,575 best offer.

Crazy ! when did this book in 9.8 explode?

It is so interesting to watch the forces of supply and demand over a period of a few years. Back in 2012 and earlier SW #1 CGC 9.8 was abundant. You could go on ebay, CL, etc. and there would always be one or multiples. Heck CL would run one pretty month every month in their auctions marketplace. There was even one point where prices dipped between $350-$400 and you could have certainly picked up as many as you wanted below $450.

Ever since announcement of the Disney purchase the supply has been thin and lately non-existent. A great scenario for sellers. Prices will most likely go even higher but no doubt as the movie approaches you will see some folks unloading and certainly the best time to buy could possibly end up being after the movie hits if you look at price trends historical data post movie release and key character slabs, #'1, etc.

A while back I knew someone who was sitting on at least a dozen of these but I have lost touch. Will have to see if I can catch up and will update.

I had someone offer me a 9.6 (9.8?) SS signed by the major cast members, Ford, Hamill, Fisher, maybe Prowse..

I am thinking that was for sure a 9.6.

A 9.8 would be an uber rare slab with Ford SS. There are now several of the 6X cast 9.8 slabs floating around but none of them have Ford. I have never seen a SW #1 9.8 SS with Ford. If anyone else has, please clarify.

If a 7X CGC 9.8 SS cast slab ever showed up with Ford that would fetch insane money.

Don't know if it's been talked about in this thread but do you think that with the recent runup on this book, could the reprints of # 1 start seeing some demand? That would be quite wacky.

A CGC 9.8 reprint in early January fetched $500. This issue had a bar code and was not the white blank UPC box, but a reprint version none the less as it states REPRINT on the top left spine corner.

I had someone offer me a 9.6 (9.8?) SS signed by the major cast members, Ford, Hamill, Fisher, maybe Prowse..

A 9.8 would be an uber rare slab with Ford SS. There are now several of the 6X cast 9.8 slabs floating around but none of them have Ford. I have never seen a SW #1 9.8 SS with Ford. If anyone else has, please clarify.

If a 7X CGC 9.8 SS cast slab ever showed up with Ford that would fetch insane money.

I am fairly certain that the signing with Ford, where you were able to present your own item, was cancelled. That left the Star Wars and Indiana Jones stuff that CA had on the site only. It is possible that a SW1 snuck through, and that would be a bombshell of a book, but I have never seen it.

Don't know if it's been talked about in this thread but do you think that with the recent runup on this book, could the reprints of # 1 start seeing some demand? That would be quite wacky.

Nothing surprises me anymore in the wacky world of comic book collecting.

hm

Someone could take one of these reprints, then get a sig and then slab it

:)

I am fairly certain that the signing with Ford, where you were able to present your own item, was cancelled. That left the Star Wars and Indiana Jones stuff that CA had on the site only. It is possible that a SW1 snuck through, and that would be a bombshell of a book, but I have never seen it.

Thanks for chiming in. That is kind of what I thought and that even possibly there is no BA Marvel SW #1 CGC SS Ford in existence at any grade. Looking forward to RMA clarifying. There is a more modern comic slabbed by CGC with Ford SS in CGC 9.8 that I have personally seen but its not from this BA SW run at all.