• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

I had a Ferguson music centre in the late 70s, a Philips ghetto blaster in the 80s, and a proper Denon tape deck in the 90s. I wish I'd had a Nakamichi, but the Denon was good.

Is the dragon Welsh? Very red.

Those Denons were really good too. I had a piece o' Akai. One channel was always low on playback, so you had to attempt to compensate during recording without overdriving it. I hated that thing.

Interesting, although I rarely get to use it, I still have my old trusty Technics system, all units work perfectly :headbang:

Stereo Control Amplifier

su-c1000.JPG

Stereo Power Amplifier

Technics%20se-a1000.JPG

Quartz Synthesizer AM/FM Stereo Tuner

STGT650catalog.jpg

Microprocessor Controlled Stereo Cassette Deck

RSBX747catalog.jpg

Programmable Compact Disc Player

p015i1.jpg

Stereo Graphic Equalizer

big_120129246bev.jpg

Oh well, and I have several back-up units, should some of the primary units fail (thumbs u :grin: (2 other tape decks, 2 amps, another tuner, another cd player - and another equalizer :whistle: )

Those were the days :cloud9: - seems like mp3 is good enough for everyone these days :censored:

Currently I am mostly using these good old Sony MDR-DS8000 headphones, the sound is still simply amazing, 50mm drivers:

ds8000.jpg

And still lights up like a Christmas tree :whee:

cid_FF6F1A55688549FBA15E7F4213164F0BRunePc_zps018cf5ad.jpg

cid_6BFA730A97AA4403BDA34164DD111AF0RunePc_zps5046b1d2.jpg

Anyone ever hear of a Sansui P-m90? Front loading computerised Record player from the 80s..... :popcorn:

Sure. I've never seen one up close, but I've read a lot about them.

If you look closely, you can see some of the early disc transportation technology developed by Sansui that made it into the early CD players.

Mine looks.just like that,but silver,listening to it right now.It did indeed remind me of my old Sony five disc changer, one of the first models,and a real workhorse,never had an issue in 20 years.

As for pocket watches,I don't know alot....but I love them.If I had to guess yours look about 1880s, and makers marks?I'm guessing British as well,but all guesses.The ones I own are from family as well,besides a chep one I picked up from the 1920s that is steel.Fobs?I just like saying it.People call their car rings fobs sometimes.Fob sounds like an insult though...like shut yer soddin mug,ye fob! :)

Where's the matching cassette player?

To be honest, I don't remember ever having a cassette player in the home. I went directly from a turntable to CD player. I remember buying my first CD player in 1985. The problem then was finding CD's to purchase. Those early CD's sounded terrible. Lots of tinny high end. You had to have an equalizer. Good times !

You three old farts would enjoy that.

Which one of you (or maybe all of you) still has an 8track player?

I still have a working 8 track....and three record players and cassette decks set up around the house.The 8 track is seldom used though,more of a novelty...and good tapes for it are tough to find.

I used to have a quadrophonic 8 track when I was a kid. :blush:

And then I had a removable one for the Impala when I was a teen. Last tape I bought for it was Genesis Seconds Out.

I had a record player with one used 45 I must have played it 100 times.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ballad+of+the+green+berets&FORM=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=F9BB7D0BF14ACA69C0B6F9BB7D0BF14ACA69C0B6

Check this out.

My brother gave me one when I was a kid. It looked a lot like this...

Trutone%2045%20RP-190.jpg

He also gave me two 45s: Surfer Joe and The Purple People Eaters. I think I still have them somewhere.

Awesome!

DSCN4004.jpg

TAPE/DAT inputs. :roflmao:

I may have to put it on e-bay. It has to be worth a fortune. :banana:

I get a cut of that since my insults led to you digging it out. :sumo:

My paypal is parkistheawesomest@parkisawesome.com

I just sent $10,000 to that e-mail, but it hasn't been claimed yet.

:shrug:

Anyone ever heard of a record that'plays backwards?

Rob Zombie put one out a few years ago...you start it from the inside out.IE drop the needle next to the inner label...it is a 10' record,I posted it in the punk,diy thread a while back.

Bob....CDs still sound terrible to me....nothing as warm as wax...

But the things cassettes did for independent music...and the tape trading obviously did not kill the music industry lol

This journal is my new fave spot! Merci shellhead!

Not a "backwards" record, but Flipper's "Brainwash" 45 single repeated forever. There was a half minute of bass and guitar followed by Bruce saying "Forget it. You wouldn't understand anyway". It rocked out in just the right way we Flipper fans loved. :cloud9:

Boise is a weird, weird town. Not much happens there. This was probably the biggest influx of Hollywood talent they've ever seen. :)

I used to have to travel there about twice a year to visit clients. Once you ate dinner, there was nothing else to do.

Micron was interesting. Bunch of cowboys running that company. But looks were deceiving. Those boys were scary smart, and if you didn't have your act together they would send you home with your tail between your legs.

Remember Monty Pythons "Matching Tie and Handkerchief" album with 3 sides?

MT&H_Groove+Diagram.jpg

White Flag put out a three sided LP as well.The third side is one song only though.I also have a few LPs with hidden tracks...it seems the arm is not returning, and if you look closely and lift it over just a tad,voila...extra track!