• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sparkle City Comics Auction

27 posts in this topic

Hi all you incredibly experienced and knowledgeable collectors.

What do you think of the results from this big Sparkle City Golden Age auction?

Here are some selected results:

All Select #1 5.0 - $4725

All Select #2 8.0 - $7101

All Star Comics #1 7.5 - $6155

Batman #1 2.5 -$30,130

Batman #47 8.0 - $5250

Captain America Comics #1 7.0 - $63,700

Captain America Comics #74 4.0 - $4167

Detective Comics #33 4.5 - $17,200

USA #6 4.0 - $4045

For the most part prices were well below FMV. I am not sure if Sandy is to blame or could it be Sparkle's lackluster advertising on this auction set that caused such poor showing.

All I know is I wish I had the green to have bid on some of these beauties... There are some really happy campers out there right now I am sure - Congratz!

SparkleCity seems to draw some impressive bids on mid-grade books, often when raw and graded copies of the same issues are languishing on other web sites and ebay. I haven't bid on any high grade stuff (since they never seem to have any in the titles I'm collecting) so I don't know if the trend continues there but 6.5 copies are like gold for them.

SparkleCity seems to draw some impressive bids on mid-grade books, often when raw and graded copies of the same issues are languishing on other web sites and ebay. I haven't bid on any high grade stuff (since they never seem to have any in the titles I'm collecting) so I don't know if the trend continues there but 6.5 copies are like gold for them.

A lot of those hard-to-find Timelys rarely if ever show up in above 6.5...

In my opinion...

All Select #1 5.0 - $4725 = Draw

All Select #2 8.0 - $7101 = Huge Advantage Bidder/winner

All Star Comics #1 7.5 - $6155 = Draw

Batman #1 2.5 -$30,130 = Advantage Bidder (a 2.0 just sold for more) I suspect seller is happy tho

Batman #47 8.0 - $5250 = Draw

Captain America Comics #1 7.0 - $63,700 = HUGE Advantage Bidder/winner BIG TIME

Captain America Comics #74 4.0 - $4167 = Advantage Seller

Detective Comics #33 4.5 - $17,200 = Slight advantage seller

USA #6 4.0 - $4045 = Slight advantage seller

Yeah, probably so, but I don't track those. I'm talking primarily about things like Fiction House books and the occasional MLJ superhero book that comes along. None rare.

I was outbid on that Exciting Comics 39 6.5 with wp. I put in a strong bid and was still out bid before the 45 mins of the auction close...

Almost 4K for a 6.5 is a very strong price. A 7.5 sold for a grand less just last year.

30K seems like a lot for the Bat 1, considering all the tape.

I was outbid on that Exciting Comics 39 6.5 with wp. I put in a strong bid and was still out bid before the 45 mins of the auction close...

Almost 4K for a 6.5 is a very strong price. A 7.5 sold for a grand less just last year.

Any idea where that 7.5 sold Jeff? I would pay double what it went for if I could find the winner... :(

Any idea where that 7.5 sold Jeff? I would pay double what it went for if I could find the winner... :(

:hi:

I got it off of heritage.

:hi:

:hi: if you ever grow tired of owning such a boring plaine old book like that I'd be happy to take it off your hands for you... ;)

Or even your under copy if you have one.