• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

American Pickers - AF 15 - tonight

43 posts in this topic

i'm bout 10 minutes from where this happened, Boyertown's main attraction is a redneck flea market they have every weekend. disappointing i never seen the book- not sure if the owner has a public store other than his pet store, but typically don't think to ask a pet store owner if they got comics.

hm

Just saw Mike purchase it for $4500...looks like a solid 3.0..average spine wear...colors looked bright...marvel chipping looked heavy...pages looked ow/w from what I saw....no back cover shown yet...I would have picked up that Hulk 1 sitting next to it in the glass case...the Avengers 4 and FF1 looked like golden record reprints...I must have heard them say that AF15 was "rare" like 4-5 times! Drove me nuts lol

So it was appraised at 2.0/2.5 and $5500...I'd say 3.0 and $6500 :)

Just saw Mike purchase it for $4500...looks like a solid 3.0..average spine wear...colors looked bright...marvel chipping looked heavy...pages looked ow/w from what I saw....no back cover shown yet...I would have picked up that Hulk 1 sitting next to it in the glass case...the Avengers 4 and FF1 looked like golden record reprints...I must have heard them say that AF15 was "rare" like 4-5 times! Drove me nuts lol

lol

lol
:hi:

i'm bout 10 minutes from where this happened, Boyertown's main attraction is a redneck flea market they have every weekend. disappointing i never seen the book- not sure if the owner has a public store other than his pet store, but typically don't think to ask a pet store owner if they got comics.

The owner had a LARGE dealer's booth--selling mostly comics, old toys, records, etc.--in the Renningers antique market in Adamstown, PA, for 30 years or more.

You did see all the other SA Marvels in that case? If you've got the scratch you should pop over and see what else he has.

You did see all the other SA Marvels in that case? If you've got the scratch you should pop over and see what else he has.

That's a great idea! The F.F.#1 & Avengers #4 were GRR's,but I would love to see that Hulk #1 he had in the case. :D

What's the most funny is that a 2.0 CGC'd is $3800 and a 2.5 is $4700 CGC'd according to GPA.

So these guys bought a raw book, for full slabbed retail, without any resto check whatsoever.

I missed the part where they actually bought it, did they check to see if it had all the pages or did they wait until it was "appraised" to get that information?

It makes for nice TV, but that's it I guess.

What's the most funny is that a 2.0 CGC'd is $3800 and a 2.5 is $4700 CGC'd according to GPA.

So these guys bought a raw book, for full slabbed retail, without any resto check whatsoever.

I missed the part where they actually bought it, did they check to see if it had all the pages or did they wait until it was "appraised" to get that information?

It makes for nice TV, but that's it I guess.

chipping and pq are the main factors that affect FMV/GPA values esp on SA keys...chip free and ow or better pq is the best combo that could give wider price spreads between a half a point.

Mike and frank were looking at the book out of Mylar and they flipped through the Spidey story. Not sure they counted pages as that was not on the show. The owner valued it at $8-10k at a 2.5 initially. Mike asked if he could take pics and send to a friend (owner of Great Escape comics in Nashville). owner threw a $6k number out. Mike countered at 4 and they settled at $4500.

Great escape owner confirmed it was complete and valued it at $5500 and a grade of good/good plus...no mention of resto ..so that said, I think mike had no idea it was complete at 32 pages prior to appraisal except for trusting the owner that it was complete. Seems like most of the time they gamble, their rusty gold gets a higher than paid appraisal. There was a vintage train set they bought one time where they lost money...that's the few times I recall them losing out lol

I'm wondering if they sold that af15 and to who. Did it ever make it to CGC? Would be sad if it had resto because I think the owner had it 20 years.

Really? I grew up in Boyertown and originally posted about this story in another thread. The 'comic book shop' originally owned by Zimmer's is where I used to buy my comic books during the 90's book (for what little I read back then).

I would assume you are referring to Zern's Farmer's Market, correct? Unfortunately, by your statement you are missing a lot of Boyertown's main attractions. Here is what else is in this HISTORIC town:

1. The Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles. Great to see at least once.

2. Taylor Backes: Will Dexter is a true American glassblower and his pieces have appeared in museums and art galleries across the world! He did the glass for one of the previous Oscar events (can't remember which without 'googling' which one it was). His glass is highly sought after and highly collectible. I own several pieces in my personal collection and are always buying more...

3. Architecture: Much like Museum Road in Wyomissing/West Reading; Boyertown does offer some historic landmarks and classic architecture. This is something that a lot of people do not realize.

4. And yes, there is Zern's. A unique blend of er, uh okay, I understand your comment in this regard, as I don't go there...and I am a 'picker.'

Kind Regards,

'mint'

This show's name is a misnomer. These guys aren't "pickers" in the true sense of the word. Real pickers (and I deal with a few) always flip their finds to dealers who they know will buy the stuff they pick.

Real pickers never go to established dealers either, because they don't want to waste their time. Dealers are customers not sources. No real picker would ever pay $4,500 for a $6,000 book. They would start at $500 (knowing they have a buyer at $3,000+) and go up to a number that they know they will still make a profit at.

A couple of my pickers never use their own money and take a finder's fee when they find something. They call me and I run out and buy it.

Real pickers are REALLY CHEAP! American Pickers spend way too much on most of the stuff they buy, and I assume it's because if they're constantly taking advantage of people, the show would end.

I love the show, but these guys must be buying stuff REALLY cheap off-camera in order to stay in business.

This show's name is a misnomer. These guys aren't "pickers" in the true sense of the word. Real pickers (and I deal with a few) always flip their finds to dealers who they know will buy the stuff they pick.

Real pickers never go to established dealers either, because they don't want to waste their time. Dealers are customers not sources. No real picker would ever pay $4,500 for a $6,000 book. They would start at $500 (knowing they have a buyer at $3,000+) and go up to a number that they know they will still make a profit at.

A couple of my pickers never use their own money and take a finder's fee when they find something. They call me and I run out and buy it.

Real pickers are REALLY CHEAP! American Pickers spend way too much on most of the stuff they buy, and I assume it's because if they're constantly taking advantage of people, the show would end.

I love the show, but these guys must be buying stuff REALLY cheap off-camera in order to stay in business.

They are making money from the show so they can always pay a little more than normal pickers.

Agreed, as well as money from commercials

They are making money from the show so they can always pay a little more than normal pickers.

There were 2 things that made me yell at my television.

#1, as mentioned earlier, the word "RARE". AF 15 is not a RARE book at all. Expensive, awesome, sure. But rare? No. As a former collector of golden age comics let him track down a Buzzy #70 if it wants a rare one.

#2, and I don't think this has been mentioned. There was a little blurb about Stan Lee and his first job working in comics in 1958 as "A teenager". I yelled out "How could that be if his first work in comics was in 1941 for Captain America #3!". Stan's a lot of things, but a teenager in 1958?

Profit margin is secondary to ratings. There's no way they can make money paying 50% of retail while driving all over the country and running two stores. They could pay double retail for everything they pick and still make money thanks to what they get paid to do the show.

They have to walk a fine line between treating the seller fairly, creating an entertaining show, and buying items with a believable profit margin.

I enjoy the show because the guys are so likable and they do seem to know an awful lot about antiques.

BINGO! Look up what they earn an episode plus promotional events and the sale of such items. You honestly think these guys care about running a business FIRST and not selling a 'product' (i.e. television show) second? I met Mike when he was a true 'picker.' This was back in Iowa in the mid to late 1990's. This was also at a time when I let someone else run my business operations for eBay (big mistake). Any way, they know people will shop at their stores simply due to the show.

Respectfully,

'mint'