• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

That is true. They do feel heavier in hand. My Brave and the Bold # 28 is cream to off white . My Showcase #6 earlier is White pages.

Marvels also have varying paper stocks.

For example, white paper is not uncommon for some Marvel books but very uncommon for others from the same era.

Sometimes it just comes down to quality of the paper supply and which roll they used in a given month when those books were printed.

SA production quality was definitely all over the place. You also see differences in the amount of gloss in mid to late 60s Marvels depending on where they were printed. I love picking up those books in collections - it is like they were double glossed at the printers. :cloud9:

SA production quality was definitely all over the place. You also see differences in the amount of gloss in mid to late 60s Marvels depending on where they were printed. I love picking up those books in collections - it is like they were double glossed at the printers. :cloud9:

They didn't "Gloss" the covers at the printing plant. Copies like any copy being sent to the customer is called a sample, the pressman works on the color until it matches what's called a "Go-By" so once this happens the covers will look bright and highly reflective because a lot more ink is being added and once they are happy with them, they'll give those copies to the customer, meanwhile the press is still running and books are still being saved. No one says "Add some extra gloss to them" "at the printers"

I think the extra gloss on late 60s marvels refers to when they switched printers in 1968. There was a noticeable change in appearance, paper and gloss after all the years of Marvels cheap approach to comics production. They were number one by then, or dam close, and stepped up once their distribution limitations were freed up.

Edited by aman619

I think the extra gloss on late 60s marvels refers to when they switched printers in 1968. There was a noticeable change in appearance, paper and gloss after all the years of Marvels cheap approach to comics production. They were number one by then, or dam close, and stepped up once their distribution limitations were freed up.

...I've often wondered exactly why they switched..... I've never read anything conclusive. The World product was definitely superior to Eastern.... maybe that was all..... but World is also more centrally located for nationwide distribution. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It all boiled down to where the book finally landed. A Spidey 12 that found a home in Denver had a much better chance of keeping it's original PQ than a Spidey 12 homesteading in New Orleans.

...I've often wondered exactly why they switched..... I've never read anything conclusive. The World product was definitely superior to Eastern.... maybe that was all..... but World is also more centrally located for nationwide distribution. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

World Color was bought by Quebecor and became Quebecor Color which went out of business and plants were bought up by RR Donnelley who now prints comics today.

Only slightly correct, when customers switch printing plants (usually cause they got a better price) the new plant will want to impress the new customer with a higher quality product so they'll beef up the color to make a good impression.

It's correct that in 1968 the quality of inks and paper changed dramatically, but early 1960's Marvels still had a lot of variation in ink and gloss quality.

People say that early 60's Marvels are more scarce in high grade because people didn't collect them, but IMO early 60's Marvels are more scarce in high grade because the production quality was so poor you had a harder time finding a comic that

a) didn't have Marvel chipping

b) had a glossy cover that didn't smudge inks (inks smudged like bad on early Marvels and late Atlas books)

1961/1962 Marvels feel very different than 1964-1967 Marvels do. I think 1963 (or somewhere thereabouts) was a transition year where something changed, but I don't know what. I just know there was less Marvel chipping and glossier covers from 1964 on.

Although some months did indeed have specific production defects like more Marvel chipping than others and some books are very well known for their respective production defects.

DD #7 and JIM #112 being the two books that come to mind first.

Only slightly correct, when customers switch printing plants (usually cause they got a better price) the new plant will want to impress the new customer with a higher quality product so they'll beef up the color to make a good impression.

all that is true, but the visual difference has less to do with any extra efforts with inks or printing quality assurance than to the paper stock used on the covers that changed. The new paper handled gloss better. Hold a Captain Marvel against any earlier 60s Marvel and the difference is clear.

I think that once Marvel came out of their restrictive 11 books a month restriction imposed in the late fifties when they moved to DCs distributor, (I forget what exactly happened there) and they started adding vigorously to their list of titles, they made a better deal with the new printer to handle the load and get a better deal with their new clout in the industry.

Edited by aman619

all that is true, but the visual difference has less to do with any extra efforts with inks or printing quality assurance than to the paper stock used on the covers that changed. The new paper handled gloss better. Hold a Captain Marvel against any earlier 60s Marvel and the difference is clear.

I think that once Marvel came out of their restrictive 11 books a month restriction imposed in the late fifties when they moved to DCs distributor, (I forget what exactly happened there) and they started adding vigorously to their list of titles, they made a better deal with the new printer to handle the load and get a better deal with their new clout in the industry.

Yup. 1950's and early DC's were very different than Marvels from the same era.

It's possible that the DC paper didn't age as gracefully as Marvels (I think White page Marvels from 1962 in particular are not uncommon) but white page DCs seem to be tougher.

But the DC paper stock seemed much stronger than Marvel's 'newsprint' interiors and thin cover stock.

Marvel inks also seemed inferior during this era.

I think the above reasons are why Marvels and DC's from the same era are graded slightly differently.

I've owned Marvels from 1964 and 1965 that were plenty glossy. I don't know if it's because they were predominantly Western Penns, but they looked positively wet.

Well...

Interesting result on that B&B #28 8.5 on Comiclink last night..

$31,111 !!

That's a big drop from where it sold a couple of years ago.

Curious what did it last sell for? Seems like a bad time of year to be selling any key books except for AF15. The last year seems like every other top book has slowed down a lot.

Well...

$31,111 !!

:cry:

Not happy with that result...I took a bath for sure.

:sorry:

September 2013 - $45,504

So a 33% drop...

Don't worry to much about it if you can save your life that all that's should matter (I know extra funds always help but if you get to your goal of 50 000$ that in itself should be the greatest gift). Hope your operation goes well and you get many many more years with your family!!

Edited by SupergirlDC1959

Well...

$31,111 !!

:cry:

Not happy with that result...I took a bath for sure.

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. When it went for auction I thought $50K was a realistic figure. It's been a strange auction though, I picked up a book tonight in 9.6 that was an upgrade on a 9.4 that I won in auction a just a few months back for 60% the price of that 9.4.