• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

The Savannah ped might also be one of the last great pedigree collections to surface?

The Twin Cities Pedigree collection came out just after Savannah. The Don and Maggie Pedigree came out a couple years after Savannah. I would rank both of these far above Savannah. It's all a matter of opinion but I would not give a premium to a Savannah, especially to a CR/OW Savannah.

The Savannah ped might also be one of the last great pedigree collections to surface?

The Twin Cities Pedigree collection came out just after Savannah. The Don and Maggie Pedigree came out a couple years after Savannah. I would rank both of these far above Savannah. It's all a matter of opinion but I would not give a premium to a Savannah, especially to a CR/OW Savannah.

The Suschas also came out after- hence, my point about Savannahs being one of the last pedigree collections- these 5 Peds may be the last we ever see for some time. The Haight Ashbury Ped is also one of the last but I'm not including it among the SA/BA "mainstream" peds.

Still, Roy has seen the BB 28 in hand- I defer to his assessment of the book over any scans.

One thing to consider here when it comes to judging the Savannahs- c-ow is the norm not a downgrade for DCs from that era. The SA DC Newsboys from that era that I've seen with c-ow are beauties.

One thing to consider here when it comes to judging the Savannahs- c-ow is the norm not a downgrade for DCs from that era.

That`s simply not true.

It's my personal opinion that CGC is tough on DC PQ.

I sub a lot of raw books and while I'm pretty good with calling PQ on Marvel books, CGC always seems to be tighter on PQ on DC books I submit.

One thing to consider here when it comes to judging the Savannahs- c-ow is the norm not a downgrade for DCs from that era.

That`s simply not true.

What is the norm pq for 1960 and earlier DC SA books? Not talking just about high grade Silver Age DCs but DCs in all grades.

Still, Roy has seen the BB 28 in hand- I defer to his assessment of the book over any scans.

There are two distinct chips from the interior lying at the bottom of the slab. To me, that indicates the pages are starting to get brittle. There are at least a half dozen chips off the bottom of the Back cover. Obviously, whoever owns it is afraid to send it back in for fear of a downgrade. In this case, the scans are not exaggerating anything. It is not a strong 8.0, more like a weak 7.5 . I would not be happy with this book at 20K.

There are two distinct chips from the interior lying at the bottom of the slab. To me, that indicates the pages are starting to get brittle. There are at least a half dozen chips off the bottom of the Back cover. Obviously, whoever owns it is afraid to send it back in for fear of a downgrade. In this case, the scans are not exaggerating anything. It is not a strong 8.0, more like a weak 7.5 . I would not be happy with this book at 20K.

Pedigree or no pedigree, DC or Marvel, there's no way I'd buy a 20k+ book with C/OW.

Yep, most big peds like the Big Apple Ped and the Crippen's as well were impossible to store in one place so books vary in shape (include smell).

There were some extremely nice run books from the Savannah.

The original owner (Savannah) passed away in 90's. He hoped to inherit his collection to his children. None of them wanted them. He lived in hot/humid climate near Atlantic Ocean. His collection has majorly cream to off white pages.

His collection had some gaps. Chippen was stationed in Europe theatre during WWII for three or four years. His collection was in the basement and crawl space. Some books were stored in the detached garage. That is how the books got smelled. His old house was over 100 years old.

Big Apple collection has some cream, off white, OWW and Whites while the collector lived in NYC. It was around Hudson River and Long Island Sound (the mix of fresh/salt water). Sometimes, NYC has experienced extreme temperatures (100 degrees during summer times).

Sushi News and Twin Cities are in north hemisphere near Great Lakes (Lake Michigan and Lake Superior) - very cool climate by the lakes. Their collections are in near pristine condition (in facts, there are many shipwrecks at the bottom of the lakes. Those 100 years old ships are almost in pristine condition even the masts are still in places - due to low oxygen and 34-39 degrees at 80 feet).

PQ can tell the stories.

Edited by JollyComics

I don't know if people realize it but "Marvel chipping" is actually very common on 1960 and 1961 DC books (it seems to plague their back covers from what I've observed). That's probably what that chipping is.

That`s simply not true.

I sub a lot of raw books and while I'm pretty good with calling PQ on Marvel books, CGC always seems to be tighter on PQ on DC books I submit.

I agree it's harder for DC books to get a White page designation from CGC. I've submitted SA DCs that had what I considered to be snow white pages, better than SA Marvel that I had gotten W for, and they came back OW-W. Mysteriously, when I sold them and they got resubbed by the buyer, they all came back as W. hm:pullhair:

Having said that, in my opinion DC used better paper stock than Marvel, so I think OW or better is the norm, not C-OW.

That`s simply not true.

I agree it's harder for DC books to get a White page designation from CGC. I've submitted SA DCs that had what I considered to be snow white pages, better than SA Marvel that I had gotten W for, and they came back OW-W. Mysteriously, when I sold them and they got resubbed by the buyer, they all came back as W. hm:pullhair:

Having said that, in my opinion DC used better paper stock than Marvel, so I think OW or better is the norm, not C-OW.

...this may just be me...... but the closest I have ever seen books get to actual "white" pages from the early SA were all D.C. books..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I've got a Superman 141 like that....... white like today's newspaper..... 1960. A lot of books get the "white" page designation that just aren't ..... but they do exist. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Interesting - I had read in other threads that people also thought CR/OW was more the norm. Good to know.

It is. If you look at all the copies of BB 28, many more are CR-OW than OW-W or White.

That`s simply not true.

DC used thicker and stronger paper stock in the SA than Marvel, for sure, but the two different papers also change color differently, which is why CGC probably designates them differently..

DC books in the SA almost feel like early GA books in hand - the pages are bigger, the paper is thicker and the books are heavier.