• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

Agreed.

I thought it would go for more. Doesn't appear the seller made any money on the sale either.

As Palamas says, probably better to hold it for a couple years and not put it back out there right away.

Still a grade usually demands a certain price.

Really? Most books have eye appeal and page quality (plus other qualities) as well as grade factored into the price. Would this one be any different?

Strong books sell for strong numbers. That's always been the case.

Still a grade usually demands a certain price.

Really? Most books have eye appeal and page quality (plus other qualities) as well as grade factored into the price. Would this one be any different?

Strong books sell for strong numbers. That's always been the case.

Why can't both you be right?

Strong books sell for strong numbers AND books sell for roughly similar prices in grade (accounting for pricing changes over time).

They aren't mutually exclusive ideas and collectors have a HUGE variety of personal preferences and buying habits.

I vote "yes," twice.

I didn't say he was wrong. Only that a specific grade on the holder doesn't guarantee a specific price.

Bringing the same book back on the market is really the biggest factor IMO. It happens with any book. If it keeps coming around and around people wonder why and lose interest.

Bringing the same book back on the market is really the biggest factor IMO. It happens with any book. If it keeps coming around and around people wonder why and lose interest.

Yup

Very true - while anything is possible (i.e., non-paying bidder, emergency sale, etc.), I'm thinking it's more of an artifact of shill bidding than anything else.

Yup

+2

If the same book keeps popping up in auctions it basically sends two messages: 1) it is overgraded and 2) there is no upside for the press-slab-flip play.

Interestingly, a pedigree copy should have qualities that make it exceptional. There doesn't appear to be any for this particular copy if the scans are accurate. The test as to whether this is an exceptional copy is whether it would stand out among other copies in the same grade. Not sure this one would. It's still an 8.0 copy of a major DC SA key.

All Pedigrees are not created equal and the Savannah Pedigree, IMO, is at the low end of the scale. Most books have CR/OW pages and look toasty. In this case, I don't think the Pedigree designation is adding any value. Also, this probably got graded during a loose period and it shows. If it was resubmitted today, for any reason, I doubt if it would be an 8.0 again. Obviously, anyone that owns it is not happy with it. You can only stare at the grade so long before you actually look at the book.

Interestingly, a pedigree copy should have qualities that make it exceptional. There doesn't appear to be any for this particular copy if the scans are accurate. The test as to whether this is an exceptional copy is whether it would stand out among other copies in the same grade. Not sure this one would. It's still an 8.0 copy of a major DC SA key.

All Pedigrees are not created equal and the Savannah Pedigree, IMO, is at the low end of the scale. Most books have CR/OW pages and look toasty. In this case, I don't think the Pedigree designation is adding any value. Also, this probably got graded during a loose period and it shows. If it was resubmitted today, for any reason, I doubt if it would be an 8.0 again. Obviously, anyone that owns it is not happy with it. You can only stare at the grade so long before you actually look at the book.

CGC needs a flip up or slide label so someone can fall in love with the book FIRST and THEN look at the grade. :idea:

All Pedigrees are not created equal and the Savannah Pedigree, IMO, is at the low end of the scale. Most books have CR/OW pages and look toasty. In this case, I don't think the Pedigree designation is adding any value.

In fact, I attribute a negative value to Savannahs.

CGC needs a flip up or slide label so someone can fall in love with the book FIRST and THEN look at the grade. :idea:

Well the book is hard to miss. They don't grade based on eye appeal simply because you make a buying decision based on eye appeal. Perhaps CGC get rid of the numerical grading system and replace it with "Stunning With White Pages" and "Pretty with OW/W" or even "Sucks with CR/OW"

Would be good to know what the thoughts are from anyone who has had the book in hand. Might give us more insight into this pedigree copy?

I saw most of the key books from the Savannah collection when they first appeared.

Shelton (from Heroes in Charlotte, NC) had told me about the collection when he first found it. He brought a couple of boxes of books for people to see in NYC that year. The BB #28 and the Showcase #22 were extremely nice.

I saw most of the key books from the Savannah collection when they first appeared.

Shelton (from Heroes in Charlotte, NC) had told me about the collection when he first found it. He brought a couple of boxes of books for people to see in NYC that year. The BB #28 and the Showcase #22 were extremely nice.

Thx - So then this is another example of a scan not providing the entire picture. This pedigree copy should always draw interest among SA pedigree collectors especially since it is only one of two pedigree copies of one of the biggest keys of that era.

Pedigrees draw interest for various reasons.

Some people are drawn to the backstory, some to the condition, some to just owing a Pedigree for any reason.

And not all Peds are judged by the same criteria.

The Allentown had a very small number of books (about 135 comics) but most were earliest keys and extremely high grade, so it was given the designation based on that criteria.

Other Peds may not have as many high grade copies or as early of a selection but then breadth and depth are considered.

The Savannah ped was a monster collection that IIRC I believe contained about 80,000 comics in total, so breadth and depth were weighed more than actual condition was.

In the end, it's still an impressive collection. It's just not for grade snobs (although once you moved away from the earliest books the collection did have high grade runs). :D

Some people are drawn to the backstory, some to the condition, some to just owing a Pedigree for any reason.

The Allentown had a very small number of books (about 135 comics) but most were earliest keys and extremely high grade, so it was given the designation based on that criteria.

Other Peds may not have as many high grade copies or as early of a selection but then breadth and depth are considered.

The Savannah ped was a monster collection that IIRC I believe contained about 80,000 comics in total, so breadth and depth were weighed more than actual condition was.

In the end, it's still an impressive collection. It's just not for grade snobs (although once you moved away from the earliest books the collection did have high grade runs). :D

....one thing to point out about Savannah's....... the OO had them stored all over his place, and depending on where they were kept, some can actually have decent PQ..... I remember reading something about which runs and periods those consisted of, but the details escape me. I want to say D.C. War was included....... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yep, most big peds like the Big Apple Ped and the Crippen's as well were impossible to store in one place so books vary in shape (include smell).

There were some extremely nice run books from the Savannah.

Yep, most big peds like the Big Apple Ped and the Crippen's as well were impossible to store in one place so books vary in shape (include smell).

There were some extremely nice run books from the Savannah.

If I'm remembering correctly, after the theft of some of the Crippen books that had been stored in the house, the remaining books were moved into the garage. So those early books "D" books, which were sold through Metro (who didn't realize they had been stolen), are generally in better shape.

Or do I have the switch in where they were stored backwards? hm

I :cloud9: Crippen books..... especially those with his "code" at the top of the splash page. Lon Allen did a fine job grading them..... I don't think I've had one of the raw one's come back lower yet...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Roy, I'm glad you got to see this book in person- it's important that a clear perspective is provided as to what this book really looks like. Scans don't always tell the story for me.

The Savannah ped might also be one of the last great pedigree collections to surface? The size of this collection is impressive and the different storage locations have resulted in pq distinctions among the pedigree's many books. Other peds that were stored in different locations were the Palo Altos but the latter's books didn't experience the same pq issues. The later '50s Nova Scotias were stored in a different location from the earlier ones that resulted in post-code books having a "lesser" pq. The stories behind these pedigrees are a part of what makes them special.

BB 28, is a classic key that stands alone among the SA greats. Add a pedigree designation that is unique given its size and history to this great key and it can only enhance this book's desirability.