• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

Thanks. The 4.5 will be heading for regrading in a bit to see what happens. :wishluck:

What if it comes back a 4.0?

Then I am a bit disappointed but still well in the money on it. lol

Everyone that has seen it in hand has said it is very strictly graded and some have said it would possibly hit a 6.0 on a good day. The last person to say that called the upgrade on my old label CGC 4.5 Avengers #4 to a 6.5 correctly so I am hoping he is right again. :wishluck:

What do the notes say?

Bottom Spine Medium Spine Split

Front Cover Moderate Wear All Edges

Spine Moderate Wear Breaks Color

The spine split is what they likely nailed it on originally. No hidden stains or interior issues so it will be interesting to see how it comes back.

The reason I bought it originally was that it looks better than the stated grade. (thumbs u

Edited by kimik

Thanks. The 4.5 will be heading for regrading in a bit to see what happens. :wishluck:

What if it comes back a 4.0?

Then I am a bit disappointed but still well in the money on it. lol

Everyone that has seen it in hand has said it is very strictly graded and some have said it would possibly hit a 6.0 on a good day. The last person to say that called the upgrade on my old label CGC 4.5 Avengers #4 to a 6.5 correctly so I am hoping he is right again. :wishluck:

What do the notes say?

Bottom Spine Medium Spine Split

Front Cover Moderate Wear All Edges

Spine Moderate Wear Breaks Color

The spine split is what they likely nailed it on originally. No hidden stains or interior issues so it will be interesting to see how it comes back.

The reason I bought it originally was that it looks better than the stated grade. (thumbs u

Spine spilt would have been my guess given the grade... I have had some really nice books with amazing eye appeal get hammered for spine splits. Good news is my experience is that they are pretty consistent with this flaw and it is unlikely it will come back lower (again this is just my personal experience).

Good luck!

The 4.0 that sold for $3800 in the Clink auction looks decent from the front for the grade and the price. Too bad about that tear on the right side.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2FCGC%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26Graded%3DCGC%26pg%3D7%23Item_1119643&id=1119643#detail

It looks like B&B #28 is pulling back a bit now after the BvS movie. Might be time to snag another copy or two soon? hm

Edited by kimik

It'll heat back up once the JLA films get closer

There is always an ebb and flow to marketplace pricing. Nothing increases forever on a straight line, it just feels that way sometimes. In the case of a scarce book like this there are fewer sales (because of fewer books) and every sale is scrutinized versus a book like AF15. There are literally dozens of sales in almost every grade and they are not all new GPA highs...

Your point is right though and there will likely be another surge once we start seeing Justice League trailers but probably a reduction post movie as well. If the movie does well it will likely set a new plateau post theater but the sales prices will likely be higherst (relative to the 6 month trend) before it releases.

Such is the way of things.

There is always an ebb and flow to marketplace pricing. Nothing increases forever on a straight line, it just feels that way sometimes. In the case of a scarce book like this there are fewer sales (because of fewer books) and every sale is scrutinized versus a book like AF15. There are literally dozens of sales in almost every grade and they are not all new GPA highs...

Your point is right though and there will likely be another surge once we start seeing Justice League trailers but probably a reduction post movie as well. If the movie does well it will likely set a new plateau post theater but the sales prices will likely be higherst (relative to the 6 month trend) before it releases.

I'm not wondering about the post JLA movie pricing, I wonder about pricing 20-30 years from now.

I'm not wondering about the post JLA movie pricing, I wonder about pricing 20-30 years from now.

lollll....Then you need a crystal ball if you find one please let us all know!! So many things can and will happen over than time frame in the world who knows what things will be like by then. It is a top 5 SA book what will most likely happen if things go well it will continue to increase gradually every year till it can't grow any more...or maybe it will just keep growing nobody knows for sure.

Truth is buy it if you like it and be happy if it turns out to be a good return on investment over the long run and if not then at least you own a book you like. As I said it is a top 5 SA book and ''rarer'' (same as Hulk 1 and SC4) than most of the other top 10 so it should perform well.

Edited by Hulk1962

This has been discussed at length in many threads, but here is my top-line POV:

I think when you look out that far you are bordering on largely guess-work (short of being a world-class economist and even they probably would not forecast the collectibles market - tied to popular culture and volatile in general).

We will be experiencing full Baby-Boomer retirement for over a decade at that point. Many of them will be passed or passing-on and their collections will flood the market. Sure, between now and then collections and books will continue to come to market, but the Baby-Boomer generation at current represents the largest purchasing group of vintage comics. All the people that were young comic readers in the 50's and 60's are what drives the Silver age market today (perfect mix of nostalgia, current popular culture reinforcement and purchasing power). As their estates are liquidated (as most estates are) their comics along with other belongs will be brought en masse to market. Once they go, the market will correct - dramatically.

Net, my recommendation wouldn't be to hold onto high value books more than 20 years (at most) if you are looking at maximizing your value. Of course the timeline largely varies by genre/character/book (Westerns, War, Crime, Romance, Sci-Fi Pop, Golden-Age only characters and such will go sooner), but in general current popular culture is not creating future vintage comic collectors. It is creating pop-culture junkies that jump from one fad to the next (retro, vintage, futuristic, superheroes, vampires, zombies, etc).

Now if you just want to own the book, you have a variety of options and purchase timelines. Depending on how old you are, I bet in 20-30 years you will be able to find some of the mega key silver age books at a large relative discount versus today (and we know they will still be around thanks to companies like CGC).

Just my

I do not think it will be that dramatic!! Every year there are new collectors who start collecting comic books and every year there are a lot of people who buy comic books to diversify their portfolios as well. The comic book market has a much bigger chance of succeeding in the long term than many other collectibles.....people always love superheroes!! Baby Boomers are only a part of the equation a lot of the youth today love comic books and a a lot of them may one day be collectors as well. This whole thing about Baby Boomers dying off then all the sky will fall and the market will be flooded is just a extreme way of seen things.

Look at the people at comic cons (or going to see superhero movies) they are mostly younger people not Baby Boomers!!

People said the sky will fall on sports cards when the big boom ended in the early 1990's and look now almost 25 years later the card market for the top rookies (ex: Pete Rose, Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Babe Ruth, Shoeless Joe Jackson and so on) and rarer cards (T206 Honus Wagner, T206 Eddie Plank and so on) has never ever been so hot than now!! I paid 13 000$ for a PSA 4 1952 topps Mickey Mantle in 2013 sold it for about 16 000$ thought the market had peeked look now in 2016 the same card is a 35 000$ to 40 000$ card. Do not listen to people who say the sky will fall on the top stuff it simply will not. I sure wish I had purchased all the key cards when people started to jump overboard in fear that the end was in sight I would be a millionaire today and enjoying life even more!!

Same as people who say the world will end on a certain date well sell me your house and everything you own for a 1$!!

Edited by Hulk1962

I do not think it will be that dramatic!! Every year there are new collectors who start collecting comic books and every year there are a lot of people who buy comic books to diversify their portfolios as well. The comic book market has a much bigger chance of succeeding in the long term than many other collectibles.....people always love superheroes!! Baby Boomers are only a part of the equation a lot of the youth today love comic books and a a lot of them may one day be collectors as well. This whole thing about Baby Boomers dying off then all the sky will fall and the market will be flooded is just a extreme way of seen things.

Look at the people at comic cons (or going to see superhero movies) they are mostly younger people not Baby Boomers!!

People said the sky will fall on sports cards when the big boom ended in the early 1990's and look now almost 25 years later the card market for the top rookies (ex: Pete Rose, Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Babe Ruth, Shoeless Joe Jackson and so on) and rarer cards (T206 Honus Wagner, T206 Eddie Plank and so on) has never ever been so hot than now!! I paid 13 000$ for a PSA 4 1952 topps Mickey Mantle in 2013 sold it for about 16 000$ thought the market had peeked look now in 2016 the same card is a 35 000$ to 40 000$ card. Do not listen to people who say the sky will fall on the top stuff it simply will not. I sure wish I had purchased all the key cards when people started to jump overboard in fear that the end was in sight I would be a millionaire today and enjoying life even more!!

Same as people who say the world will end on a certain date well sell me your house and everything you own for a 1$!!

Please do not engage me in threads. Do not engage others I am talking to on points in threads.

I have started to leave you alone I am asking you to do the same. I have nothing to say to you. The moderators here are not concerned with anything other than "keeping the peace" so please leave me and the discussions I am in alone.

I am not talking to you (why would I I know you are always negative and look at the bad side of things all the time) I am talking to the other people on this topic (witch you have no right to control as you know).

As stated to others here doom and gloom predictions do not always come true simple as that. There are a lot of other hobbies that could end badly before comic books do. A few people here hope the skies will fall either because they do not own any of the top 10 SA books or hope to one day buy one at a lower price that they could afford.

Please do not respond to this let's continue to live our lives thinking the other does not exist that is the best and most peaceful way to go!!

Edited by Hulk1962

I am not talking to you I am talking to the other people on this topic (witch you have no right to control as you know).

As stated to others here doom and gloom predictions do not always come true simple as that. There are a lot of other hobbies that could end badly before comic books do. A few people here hope the skies will fall either because they do not own any of the top 10 SA books or hope to one day buy one at a lower price that they could afford.

I have asked you to leave me alone, please do so. Please stop making assumptions about why people may or may not have point of views and making this about "hoping to afford anything."

Please leave me alone.

I am not talking to you I am talking to the other people on this topic (witch you have no right to control as you know).

I have asked you to leave me alone, please do so. Please stop making assumptions about why people may or may not have point of views and making this about "hoping to afford anything."

Please leave me alone.

Do the same stop writing me and go back into your dark view of the world (your comfort zone in life) hole I do not want anything to do with it is not a nice place to be!!

Peace out!!

Edited by Hulk1962

Please leave me alone.

Do the same stop writing me and go back into your dark view of the world I do not want anything to do with it.

Please leave me alone.

Here we go again.

I have no intention of discussing anything with him. He simply needs to leave me and the discussions I am taking part in alone.

It is that simple. I have asked him to leave me alone, he should do so.

This has been discussed at length in many threads, but here is my top-line POV:

I think when you look out that far you are bordering on largely guess-work (short of being a world-class economist and even they probably would not forecast the collectibles market - tied to popular culture and volatile in general).

We will be experiencing full Baby-Boomer retirement for over a decade at that point. Many of them will be passed or passing-on and their collections will flood the market. Sure, between now and then collections and books will continue to come to market, but the Baby-Boomer generation at current represents the largest purchasing group of vintage comics. All the people that were young comic readers in the 50's and 60's are what drives the Silver age market today (perfect mix of nostalgia, current popular culture reinforcement and purchasing power). As their estates are liquidated (as most estates are) their comics along with other belongs will be brought en masse to market. Once they go, the market will correct - dramatically.

Net, my recommendation wouldn't be to hold onto high value books more than 20 years (at most) if you are looking at maximizing your value. Of course the timeline largely varies by genre/character/book (Westerns, War, Crime, Romance, Sci-Fi Pop, Golden-Age only characters and such will go sooner), but in general current popular culture is not creating future vintage comic collectors. It is creating pop-culture junkies that jump from one fad to the next (retro, vintage, futuristic, superheroes, vampires, zombies, etc).

Now if you just want to own the book, you have a variety of options and purchase timelines. Depending on how old you are, I bet in 20-30 years you will be able to find some of the mega key silver age books at a large relative discount versus today (and we know they will still be around thanks to companies like CGC).

Just my

Some reading worth considering as a start to understanding why I drew my conclusions. Nothing definitive, but informed nonetheless.

Money

CRM Trends

Generational Earnings: US and CA

Forbes