• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

So basically what you are telling me is I have to wonder that if I submit a book that unless I have a book pressed by THEM (Classics), my book will not receive as nice of a grade.

That sucks. Indented staples always drove me crazy. When I was collecting, I would always pass on indented staples regardless of grade or price.

Just wow. It doesn't even matter if you think Matt is nice and honorable, which I do. This is a cluster of a decision. To me, CGC sells trust. This erodes trust just like it did the first time the move was proposed.

If one company owns a company selling a service meant to increase a grade and a company which grades, that's a conflict of interest. A conflict of interest means less trust. If there were a way to know which books go through CI first, I would trust that grade less.

Thank goodness we have CVA to help us with that. :baiting:

The indentation on that Spidey is not from pressing

You may be right, but the fact that the book was graded 9.6 despite the staple is another of many indicators that CGC has chosen to ignore defects like indented staples and horizontal creases at the overhangs that sometimes happen during pressing.

The Spidey and X-Men are 9.6s from Matt's inventory, by the way.

I think they should be spending more money on encapsulation equipment and hiring employees so they can get caught up to a reasonable turnaround time. A move like this is kind of a slap in the face to anyone who's still waiting on subs. 2c
Vote with your wallet.

The indentation on that Spidey is not from pressing

You may be right, but the fact that the book was graded 9.6 despite the staple is another of many indicators that CGC has chosen to ignore defects like indented staples and horizontal creases at the overhangs that sometimes happen during pressing.

The Spidey and X-Men are 9.6s from Matt's inventory, by the way.

Recessed staples are all over the place. CGC has never ignored them because it's a defect that's pressing related. (it's very rarely if ever pressing related). They ignore them because it's common in the manufacturing process, especially among SA Marvels.

The last time I gave Matt a book to remove restoration, some was missed. I was told I'd have to resubmit it to him and to pay CGC again until the resto was found,, that was the "normal" procedure. What will happen when CGC owns the company?

I wish Matt luck, and congratulations...but I DO think there are going to be many issues here.

I think you raise a very valid point here. Suppose you have a comic with slight professional restoration (say, a little color touch). The book is worth $15,000 in its current state, but is worth $50,000 in a blue label slab.

I would be very unhappy with dropping over $2K to have the color touch removed and the book graded, only to have it come back in another purple slab and have to do the same thing again.

Of course, one possibility is that having Matt on site will allow him to perform the restoration removal, walk it over, and have CGC do a kind of restoration prescreen to let him know if the removal has been adequate to allow for a blue label. If this occurs, it would avoid the situation that Sharon mentioned above. No more shuttling a high dollar comic back and forth between Texas and Florida and incurring double the very expensive grading fees.

It's not very rare to be pressing related, as is made clear from numerous before-and-after scans and experiences.

Ok, Bob.

If the before and after scans are available, I don't think it should be easily dismissed.