• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Diego Con-Any Reports Yet?

150 posts in this topic

Congrats Jeff, on that Exciting Comics!!! Awesome cover ,Nice grade!!! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif been on my want list for a little while!!!

Thanks, it's been on my want list too. Harley had it priced 25% above condition guide, which I thought was more than fair for such a classic, hard to find book.

any other big sales or reports to offer? How were the tables? Any big books out there?

Heroes & Dragons broke out some books from their vault that hadn't been on the market in quite some time. The classic cover on Startling #49 in CGC 9.4 was getting a lot of attention, as was the National #7 Church copy in 9.6, which many consider the best Lou Fine cover of all time. They also had the restored Marvel #1 9.4 that Decaprio was/is considering. They had many others that I'm not recalling, but I'm sure others will.

The Fawcetts mentioned earlier were pretty nice, but like most Crowleys, the page quality is marginal. Most of the attention the books were getting was from other dealers. Bill Hughes spent a lot of time there, looking at books and taking notes. At one point he said to Bechara, "How much for the whole collection, this is taking too long." Bechara didn't seem interested. Mark Wilson also spent some time there, as well as most other dealers in the room.

John Verzyl had his usual amazing array of Mile Highs and other high grade material. It's always fun to talk to John. His memory is practically photographic, and his knowledge of Golden Age books is amazing. Gotta be careful around him, though...he's a hell of a salesman. He can make any book seem incredibly important. He had a Thrilling Comics #41 in 9.0 for $2500 that I was considering, but it eventually sold to another collector.

Metropolis also had their usual amazing selection. I love their Batman #11 9.0, their Mile High Exciting #28, and non-pedigree #27.

ComicLink didn't set up this year(they did last year), but Josh was all over the floor looking at books. Bill Hughes also didn't set up, but was everywhere. Mark Wilson has only set up once in the last 7 or 8 years, but he was there for a day or two making the rounds.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it later. There were certainly enough great books to make my head spin. I could have spent a lot more money than I did if my budget would have allowed it.

It's always interesting to me how time changes how we view something. Sixty years ago when this book came out, I doubt many people saw that cover and thought about it twice. But today, this cover and the one on Superman #12 always get the same comments and jokes.

The Fawcetts mentioned earlier were pretty nice, but like most Crowleys, the page quality is marginal. Most of the attention the books were getting was from other dealers. Bill Hughes spent a lot of time there, looking at books and taking notes. At one point he said to Bechara, "How much for the whole collection, this is taking too long." Bechara didn't seem interested.

An FYI, a major dealer spent 1/4 million on the Crowleys.

I only went on Saturday, the highlight of which for me was probably the Warren panel with (l to r, starting with the 2nd person over) Bruce Jones, Berni Wrightson and Louise & Walt Simonson. It was great hearing them talk about all the work they did for Warren in the 1970s, which I believe are some of the best and most underappreciated stories ever published in comics.

551026-SDCC%2004%20Warren%20panel.jpg

589a8cc565555_551026-SDCC04Warrenpanel.jpg.9dcc84792734b37cdc49f42e65ccbba1.jpg

Most of the people I talked to at the Con and the Forum Dinner didn't end up buying much stuff, and I wasn't an exception...a copy of the 1st Simonson Thor TPB from Lighthouse/TPB King, a few "3 Geeks" comics and TPBs from Rich Kozlowski and some new issues. Was thinking, like Gman, about getting a Bowen Punisher mini-bust, but the allocation sold out by the time I got there.

There was a lot in the way of original art, which was my primary interest, but I didn't buy anything...Albert Moy had the (small) painted cover to Vampirella #34 that was interesting to me, but not anywhere near the $8.5K price tag, while Conrad Eschenberg had a huge Vampirella gallery oil by Enric (must have been 6' tall or thereabouts), which was equally unappealing to me at its $20K price tag. I did get a look at the awesome Goseki Kojima "Lone Wolf & Cub" drawing that Graphic Collectibles was selling, but wasn't going to be a buyer at the $25K level! Upstairs, Brent Anderson's original painted cover to "God Loves, Man Kills" was on display, but was not for sale - it was very, very nice. In general, I thought that much better art deals could be had on eBay and through private deals than I saw at the Con.

For me, the Con was much more of a social experience than anything else and it was great meeting and talking to a lot of dealers and fellow collectors throughout the day.

good stuff gene.....conrad is out of his tree when it comes to prices for his art and books. He is not playin with a full deck. Hear of any big sale or deals going down or was it in your opinion before the show started. Any nice raw books around?