• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Acquires Classics Inc - Response to your Questions

1,162 posts in this topic

Good day sir. I said good DAY sir

one of my favorite movie lines...EVER!

WW.jpg

Dang. My first thought was Fez from That 70's Show.

I guess I'm older than you are...

I always thought Foghorn Leghorn said it, I didn't hear the quote, but there are some really funny one-liners in here, and this thread needs some laughs;)

During this time, the dealer kept showcasing the piece and remarking on how nice it was, yadda-yadda, and that there were no "hideous" price sticker on it.

I asked him point blank why he removed the price sticker and it stopped him in his tracks.

As in a sticker with a price on it? I

Yes. Some collectors will actually pay a premium for sealed toys (on card or boxed) bearing certain toy store price stickers.

Totally misunderstood---thought we were talking comics. Got it!

WW.jpg

I always thought Foghorn Leghorn said it, I didn't hear the quote, but there are some really funny one-liners in here, and this thread needs some laughs;)

Two half-nothin's is a whole nothin'.

More pressing whining. It amuses me.

This whole thread is hilarious.

CGC will be just fine. The hobby will be just fine. CFP will be just fine. The whole pressing debate has been going on for years and there are far more people that just do not care than people who do.

You live, you die and the wheels on the bus go around and around.

Wasn't there a poll on this board that showed the number of people that don't care was only slightly higher than those that do?

It neglected the tens of thousands of people who buy CGC books everyday, just look at eBay - most people do not care or even know about it.

There are tens of thousands of people buying CGC books every day? :roflmao:

Time to dump all other investments and jump on the gravy train quickly. :ohnoez:

CGC has graded over 2 million books. There are over 40,000 CGC books on ebay right now, 4000 on Heritage, 6000 on Metro, 7000 on Pedigree and over 20,000 on C-Link. Add that to all the other sellers, dealers, shows etc - how many books do you think are out there for sale? 200,000, 300,000 ? If there are 300,000 books out there ( 15% of all that was graded) and 1 out of 30 of them sell everyday - what number is that ? Granted, they might not all be unique buyers but, before you scoff at the math, eBay alone has sold over 32,000 CGC'd books in the past 30 days.

Let's see ...

Let's say there are 2 million graded comics (we'll ignore the fact that some of that number is regrading).

And there are 20,000 CGC graded comics sold every day (the minimum for your "tens of thousands"). I know, you said people, but let's just say it's comics, and ignore the fact that people probably often buy more than one, which of course would mean that *more than* 20,000 comics are sold every day.

By my calculations, using these conservative numbers, all of this means that every CGC graded comic changes hands every 100 days, or just over every three months. Something seems off there.

Obviously you haven't gone to the forum sales threads. If you had, you would have concluded that every CGC book changes hands once every 100 days seems a little low :insane:

If you take into account the slabs that some of us have had in our collections for years, it must mean that most slabs are being sold to the next buyer before they get to the previous one .......... oh wait.

WW.jpg

Two half-nothin's is a whole nothin'.

For me it's:

1. Daffy

2. Bugs

3. Foghorn - hilarious

Any links kind Sir?

Who is this mysterious Hammer fellow who is frequently mentioned in hushed tones?

Yeah I know - noobs.

Hammer was Dupcake himself. In the cyber-flesh.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be butthurt in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you...

Gotcha - Thanks Dicey

Many of Hammer's rants are still viewable at STL. You think we give the Game a hard time. These debates are like Miss Manners by comparison. Small example (on Ewert trims, 2005):

"You know, you all act over there like I WASN'T pointing out Jason's books for YEARS. You all act as though I was in the dark too. I WASN'T in the dark about ANYTHING concerning pressed and trimmed books in CGC Blue labels. For years, I was pointing out books offered by Jason, JP, Heritage, Link, etc., etc, on message Boards while everyone told me I was crazy and had my own agenda. I pointed, I described, I detailed WHAT was done, why it was done... everything but HOW it was done so copycats wouldn't jump on the every burgeoning bandwagon. I GAVE ya'll the blueprints of what game was afoot and nobody listened.

If I was right about THAT, what ELSE am I right about that everyone thought was just another crazy Hammer conspiracy theory? As time unfolds, what I detailed on those nessage boards will ALL prove to NOT be crazy conspiracy theories because each effect is based on cause and there is only one possible logical cause for the effects that the hobby is starting to notice. Like a jig-saw puzzle, each piece related though all different, and yet only ONE way to put them together to reach one possible conclusion once assembled. "

His allegations - the part about the system using certification to move questionable material - this is exactly what I was trying to hit home with my comment about CGC taking the ceiling and turning it into the ground floor of a gamed system of certification.

The immediate thought in people's mind was to connect what I said with the suggestion CGC enabled Dupcak/Ewarts like activity, when what they should have been taking from it is the thought that these books needed to be sold somewhere.

Full circle, the love it or leave it is logic is badly flawed because regardless of motivation or agenda, without the detective work of people connecting the dots, and figuring out how and where this material was/is being circulated, I believe we would be far worse off than we are with whatever amount of awareness that came from being vigilante, even if it comes off as petulant protestations with little or no effect for greater change.

When we factor in public perception, bleedingcool's condemnation framed in humor, and the opposition that's spreading across the web over the appearance of a deal loaded with questions surrounding potential conflicts of interest, there is a fallout from all this that comes with considerable cost, and those allegations once thought to be the rantings of a nutjob poster-boy scammer are cementing into a hardline perception of a certification system complicit in the activity and movement of questionable goods.

This isn't just a dark period for the hobby, but a crisis in both the "universal" understanding of what certification is meant to do, and consumers acceptance of it's impartial role and what it ought to be doing to eradicate any/all external perception of impropriety.

I guess it is fitting as I sit here in the Toronto airport and read this post, trying to get back home from a meeting here today, as CW lives here.

I find it both amusing and disquieting that you pontificate repeatedly in this thread about a "crisis" a "dark period" and "conflict of interest" etc. It is galling and in some ways makes me sick to the point of nausea to think that someone could actually believe, let alone espouse, that the acquisition of CI by CCG would bring about a crisis or dark period in our hobby..

It is a HOBBY for cripes sake! Comic books are to be enjoyed, collected, bought, sold, traded whatever, not fretted over the way you seem to.

I just don't get it CW. Either you are perpetrating an elaborate hoax by pretending to be some elitist "protector" of the sanctity of the hobby, or you need to buy some super glue and get a grip.

CI was and is a very profitable business, and a target for acquisition by CGC or other large comic entities. It makes good fiscal sense for them to buy CI and to bring in house the end to end process of submission, maximization of grade, and encapsulation. If I were them, I would have done the same thing.

No crisis at all. Simply business being conducted. No conflict, no dark period, nothing

Funny you should be in Toronto while drafting your comment on people's perceptions of this acquisition. Our Mayor just got booted out of office for the very thing you seem to be underplaying in this thread - a conflict of interest. The reason: the Mayor voted on a matter in which he had a personal interest.

Bigger picture, it doesn't really matter what I think or say, it's how the public perceives a conflict of interest scenario. This thread includes numerous voices who see a conflict of interest with what CGC is planning with this acquisition.

It's not my role as a participant in this discussion to dissuade or persuade either side of the debate on whether this acquisition is a conflict of interest or not - that decision is yours and everyone elses who has either read or commented on this announcement.

That said, I do stand firm on my view that the perception issue can and will pose image and reputational harm for hobby certification and this will inevitably mean a trickle down effect on collector confidence in the back-issue comic hobby.

The Globe and Mail said he was booted for coaching a youth football team that received a nominal donation from a supporter of his for equipment.

Oh the humanity......

From Mayor Ford

“I was focused on raising money for underprivileged youth. I never believed there was a conflict of interest because I had nothing to gain and the city had nothing to lose,” he said."

Any links kind Sir?

Who is this mysterious Hammer fellow who is frequently mentioned in hushed tones?

Yeah I know - noobs.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be butthurt in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you...

Gotcha - Thanks Dicey

Many of Hammer's rants are still viewable at STL. You think we give the Game a hard time. These debates are like Miss Manners by comparison. Small example (on Ewert trims, 2005):

"You know, you all act over there like I WASN'T pointing out Jason's books for YEARS. You all act as though I was in the dark too. I WASN'T in the dark about ANYTHING concerning pressed and trimmed books in CGC Blue labels. For years, I was pointing out books offered by Jason, JP, Heritage, Link, etc., etc, on message Boards while everyone told me I was crazy and had my own agenda. I pointed, I described, I detailed WHAT was done, why it was done... everything but HOW it was done so copycats wouldn't jump on the every burgeoning bandwagon. I GAVE ya'll the blueprints of what game was afoot and nobody listened.

If I was right about THAT, what ELSE am I right about that everyone thought was just another crazy Hammer conspiracy theory? As time unfolds, what I detailed on those nessage boards will ALL prove to NOT be crazy conspiracy theories because each effect is based on cause and there is only one possible logical cause for the effects that the hobby is starting to notice. Like a jig-saw puzzle, each piece related though all different, and yet only ONE way to put them together to reach one possible conclusion once assembled. "

His allegations - the part about the system using certification to move questionable material - this is exactly what I was trying to hit home with my comment about CGC taking the ceiling and turning it into the ground floor of a gamed system of certification.

The immediate thought in people's mind was to connect what I said with the suggestion CGC enabled Dupcak/Ewarts like activity, when what they should have been taking from it is the thought that these books needed to be sold somewhere.

Full circle, the love it or leave it is logic is badly flawed because regardless of motivation or agenda, without the detective work of people connecting the dots, and figuring out how and where this material was/is being circulated, I believe we would be far worse off than we are with whatever amount of awareness that came from being vigilante, even if it comes off as petulant protestations with little or no effect for greater change.

When we factor in public perception, bleedingcool's condemnation framed in humor, and the opposition that's spreading across the web over the appearance of a deal loaded with questions surrounding potential conflicts of interest, there is a fallout from all this that comes with considerable cost, and those allegations once thought to be the rantings of a nutjob poster-boy scammer are cementing into a hardline perception of a certification system complicit in the activity and movement of questionable goods.

This isn't just a dark period for the hobby, but a crisis in both the "universal" understanding of what certification is meant to do, and consumers acceptance of it's impartial role and what it ought to be doing to eradicate any/all external perception of impropriety.

I guess it is fitting as I sit here in the Toronto airport and read this post, trying to get back home from a meeting here today, as CW lives here.

I find it both amusing and disquieting that you pontificate repeatedly in this thread about a "crisis" a "dark period" and "conflict of interest" etc. It is galling and in some ways makes me sick to the point of nausea to think that someone could actually believe, let alone espouse, that the acquisition of CI by CCG would bring about a crisis or dark period in our hobby..

It is a HOBBY for cripes sake! Comic books are to be enjoyed, collected, bought, sold, traded whatever, not fretted over the way you seem to.

I just don't get it CW. Either you are perpetrating an elaborate hoax by pretending to be some elitist "protector" of the sanctity of the hobby, or you need to buy some super glue and get a grip.

CI was and is a very profitable business, and a target for acquisition by CGC or other large comic entities. It makes good fiscal sense for them to buy CI and to bring in house the end to end process of submission, maximization of grade, and encapsulation. If I were them, I would have done the same thing.

No crisis at all. Simply business being conducted. No conflict, no dark period, nothing

Funny you should be in Toronto while drafting your comment on people's perceptions of this acquisition. Our Mayor just got booted out of office for the very thing you seem to be underplaying in this thread - a conflict of interest. The reason: the Mayor voted on a matter in which he had a personal interest.

Bigger picture, it doesn't really matter what I think or say, it's how the public perceives a conflict of interest scenario. This thread includes numerous voices who see a conflict of interest with what CGC is planning with this acquisition.

It's not my role as a participant in this discussion to dissuade or persuade either side of the debate on whether this acquisition is a conflict of interest or not - that decision is yours and everyone elses who has either read or commented on this announcement.

That said, I do stand firm on my view that the perception issue can and will pose image and reputational harm for hobby certification and this will inevitably mean a trickle down effect on collector confidence in the back-issue comic hobby.

The Globe and Mail said he was booted for coaching a youth football team that received a nominal donation from a supporter of his for equipment.

Oh the humanity......

From Mayor Ford

“I was focused on raising money for underprivileged youth. I never believed there was a conflict of interest because I had nothing to gain and the city had nothing to lose,” he said."

You're right, it did involve his involvement with coaching a football team. And eventually the situation boiled down to him speaking and voting on a motion that he himself recommended (the personal interest part) to repay $3,150 he solicited from city hall lobbyists for his private football foundation.

Seems harsh right?

Problem is he can't do it. It's not allowed.

As a person entrusted with the highest position in municipal politics, there is no one that should know the municipal-conflict-of-interest rules better.

My own personal opinion? I think the guy was sunk before he ever took step into office. If there was a like button hung on his office door the first day at 9:00AM, it would have been thrown out on queen street and run over a few hundred times by 9:01AM.

Part of this was because he had spent years prior to running for office going after people at the municipal level who were frivolously spending tax dollars. He quickly became a popular guest and staple on the John Oakley morning show, using the metaphor of hogs at the eavestrough and venting about the way tax dollars were being blown on lavish lunches, cars and expenses that they should have been picking up with their already inflated salaries.

Ultimately it was his history in municipal politics and his activities pre-dating his service as Mayor that made him a target with the kind of people who would eventually scrutinize his every move, and the media was putty in their hands.

In other words, they took such a hard line stance because of who he was and his penchant for calling people out, and I believe that had this happened to someone without a different history, one affable and less likely to throw his peers under a bus when rules were broken, there would probably be more voices saying let it ride - it is after all about helping a bunch of kids who want to play football.

Anyhow, I wanted to tie this in contextually to this situation because I believe that the same issues that dog people's public and private life, and especially how it can manifest into their every move being looked at under the intense magnification of scrutiny, can definitely play out in the same way when reputational issues, image and perception problems take on a life of their own and dog companies until they either address the issues and/or face the backlash in an honest and transparent manner.

On average.

How many comic book collectors are there in the US?

How many books does CGC grade a month?

According to CGC's website:

"Over one hundred thousand comic books are submitted to CGC each year."

So approximately 8,333 books a month if that number is true.

As for the number of collectors....I don't think anyone knows the answer

Any links kind Sir?

Yeah I know - noobs.

Gotcha - Thanks Dicey

Oh the humanity......

From Mayor Ford

You're right, it did involve his involvement with coaching a football team. And eventually the situation boiled down to him speaking and voting on a motion that he himself recommended (the personal interest part) to repay $3,150 he solicited from city hall lobbyists for his private football foundation.

Seems harsh right?

Problem is he can't do it. It's not allowed.

As a person entrusted with the highest position in municipal politics, there is no one that should know the municipal-conflict-of-interest rules better.

My own personal opinion? I think the guy was sunk before he ever took step into office. If there was a like button hung on his office door the first day at 9:00AM, it would have been thrown out on queen street and run over a few hundred times by 9:01AM.

Part of this was because he had spent years prior to running for office going after people at the municipal level who were frivolously spending tax dollars. He quickly became a popular guest and staple on the John Oakley morning show, using the metaphor of hogs at the eavestrough and venting about the way tax dollars were being blown on lavish lunches, cars and expenses that they should have been picking up with their already inflated salaries.

Ultimately it was his history in municipal politics and his activities pre-dating his service as Mayor that made him a target with the kind of people who would eventually scrutinize his every move, and the media was putty in their hands.

In other words, they took such a hard line stance because of who he was and his penchant for calling people out, and I believe that had this happened to someone without a different history, one affable and less likely to throw his peers under a bus when rules were broken, there would probably be more voices saying let it ride - it is after all about helping a bunch of kids who want to play football.

Anyhow, I wanted to tie this in contextually to this situation because I believe that the same issues that dog people's public and private life, and especially how it can manifest into their every move being looked at under the intense magnification of scrutiny, can definitely play out in the same way when reputational issues, image and perception problems take on a life of their own and dog companies until they either address the issues and/or face the backlash in an honest and transparent manner.

To me, it seems like much ado about nothing -- both your political "I'll get even with you for getting on my butt in the past" example, and whatever dark, mysterious and malevolent forces you see at work in CGC buying CI as a separate company under their corporate umbrella.

Do continue with the diatribes, think of me as a shill (whereas I'm merely a positive-outlook collector) and whatever else you wish. It's rather amusing. :)