• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Acquires Classics Inc - Response to your Questions

1,162 posts in this topic

Um no. Those guys are as good as they come around here. Different points of view but all excellent men with the ability to debate rationally and intelligently

You'd make a superb substitute.

Like an alternate juror?

I was going to say alternate but that would have placed arex on the sidelines.

You don't do that.

I went with substitute.

Resto removal?

Classics will still offer this service. However, Classics can now work with CGC to ensure all removal is achieved before grading which will eliminate wasted CGC fees.

As an independent member of the Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) of companies, Classics will operate as a stand alone business separate from CGC.

Who from CGC will be working with CI on the resto detection in the instances of removal? And if CI are still an independent company, how come CGC will be allowed to do this now?

Not being arsey here, just a genuine question out of interest.

I am curious about this as well.

Sounds ok to me. (shrug)

Matt can verify for his customer that he's done enough resto removal to warrant a blue label. Thus avoiding a 2nd attempt to redo the process with more grading fees.

It is NOT a discussion about the numerical grade the book would receive: "The grade of the book is the grade of the book."

It is clear that this will not change the grade of the book. But if CGC has information regarding any work done on a book, should it be not disclosed ? That is more unclear to me

But if CGC has information regarding any work done on a book, should it be not disclosed ? That is more unclear to me

You mean on the back of the label where the graders' notes are located?

No, I mean on the front of the label where some notes are sometimes currently disclosed, like "small amount of glue on cover"

But if CGC has information regarding any work done on a book, should it be not disclosed ? That is more unclear to me

You mean on the back of the label where the graders' notes are located?

No, I mean on the front of the label where some notes are sometimes currently disclosed, like "small amount of glue on cover"

If it's restoration they will note it on the label.

As for pressing... CGC does NOT consider pressing restoration. So it's similar to "tape" which is something they do note on blue labels.

The major difference is that they need to note things that are factual. If a book has tape on it, it has tape on it. They put that on the label, because a buyer may not be able to see the tape inside the book.

With pressing, they can NOT always tell. Yes, there will be books coming from CI they know were pressed, but they won't always know when it comes from other pressers.

If they did what you're suggesting and added it to the label, the natural thing that will happen is people will assume a book without that note wasn't pressed. Which would be untrue.

They are better off remaining with their current policy. 2c

If the main questions pertaining to this deal relate to CGC's impartiality and any potential conflict of interest, hire a firm like Ernst and Young to produce a report that puts these concerns to rest. Publish the report and/any all findings here. You can still use the names polled to steer some of the main concerns being discussed about the day-to-day operation and the process as it pertains to CI's involvement in the grading mix, but ultimately you need a company with the reputation and track record to do the proper assessment. 2c

Yes, there will be books coming from CI they know were pressed, but they won't always know when it comes from other pressers.

If they did what you're suggesting and added it to the label, the natural thing that will happen is people will assume a book without that note wasn't pressed. Which would be untrue.

They are better off remaining with their current policy. 2c

I understand your point. Indeed, a book without "pressed" added to the label doesn't mean it was not pressed. But that is true for any work done, like micro-trimming, minor color touch-up, etc

There were books in the past that had blue labels but once were re-submitted came back with PLOD with the mention "trimmed" or with minor restoration. The detection was missed the first time, but not the 2nd time because CGC got more information or was better to detect it.

I understand it can be hard for CGC to detect pressing when they are not sure, but when they are, i.e. when they know it was pressed by CI, should it be not disclosed ?

Any truth to today's allegations of incompetence at CGC made by robojo33 ?

LINK

All I know is that grading is human, and CGC is bound to make more mistakes now that they are grading more. An argument can be made since the "founding fathers" are not there that percentage wise more mistakes are happening.

The "lockdown" after Ewert has more or less assured CGC that they want to minimize business disruption. If you can't eliminate the mistakes, then minimize the damage. In this case, it meant keeping people off the boards that expose the issues, lock down the systems to prevent sleuthing, delete informative threads etc.

Some folks found Dupcak to be very convincing...but some folks found the Devil to be seductive as well.

The gist I got is that they appear to be running as separate companies, offering a convenience. I appreciate the grade estimation from Matt is no longer going to be offered--that would probably be setting expectations too high for customers and be bound to endless disappointment if said service didn't achieve the estimated grade.

I understand it can be hard for CGC to detect pressing when they are not sure, but when they are, i.e. when they know it was pressed by CI, should it be not disclosed ?

My .02: They are running separate companies under one roof...if CGC is to maintain its integrity the guys grading should not know if it was or wasn't pressed, as that would be unfair (or lead to problems) for the grading process.

That said, if CGC doesn't note pressing now, I don't think they should create confusion in the market and label a book that they have pressed. First, it would create confusion, secondly, it would undermine their business if it was noted on the label as pressed (and as you know CGC has been pushing less is more for many years now).

I am however in favor of any restoration / conservation services rendered by CCG available and linked to the CGC book number, but not directly in view/access by CGC folks to maintain impropriety. Perhaps they are different databases with different levels of security between the two companies. In this way, we have the separation of the companies yet fulfill as much need for information without confusing the market. The link between the two wouldn't be "connected" until the QA process or slabbing process is complete as a security measure.

This is all the world according to me if I was King.

Seems reasonable. The butthurt mafia won't approve, but that is to be expected.
That is one way of explaining people who do not see things the same way as you. I respect that :eyeroll:

As one of those whose butthurt runs deep, I respect that you respect that. You're my target audience. (thumbs u

My .02: They are running separate companies under one roof...if CGC is to maintain it's integrity they guys grading it should not know if it was or wasn't, as that would be unfair (or lead to problems).

That said, if CGC doesn't note pressing now, I don't think they should create confusion in the market and label a book that they have pressed. First, it would create confusion, secondly, it would undermine their business if it was noted on the label as pressed (and as you know CGC has been pushing less is more for many years now).

I am however in favor of any restoration / conservation services rendered by CCG available and linked to the CGC book number, but not directly in view/access by CGC folks to maintain impropriety. In this way, we have the separation of the companies yet fulfill as much need for information without confusing the market.

You are probably right about that. Expecting CGC to disclose pressing on the label is probably too optimistic and irrealist.

I like your proposition though to at least have such information linked to the CGC book number. As an example, it could be included with the grader's notes (even though you still need to pay for them..). This would be better than nothing.

I like your proposition though to at least have such information linked to the CGC book number. As an example, it could be included with the grader's notes (even though you still need to pay for them..). This would be better than nothing.
My only concern is that by NOT providing this information, they are perpetuating ignorance which means they are not aiding customers in making decisions with information that THEY do know and have on hand. If they don't do this as a mitigation factor of acquiring the company into the fold it will impact my level of trust with them.

They can't simply aquire a conservation company to help increase income by selling services and then keep customers in the dark as to which books they have or have not performed the service on. If they do try and do this there will be a serious push back and repercussions for them. Obviously, this can only be done in a moving forward format.

I'm hoping that they actually do respond as quickly as possible on how information regarding services ordered from CI while under the CCG umbrella will be available for customers.. It would actually make grader's notes worthwhile, and do a lot to minimize the CPR mess (which is going to be a negative effect of the acquisition but may help improve our TATs).

My .02: They are running separate companies under one roof...if CGC is to maintain it's integrity they guys grading it should not know if it was or wasn't, as that would be unfair (or lead to problems).

I am however in favor of any restoration / conservation services rendered by CCG available and linked to the CGC book number, but not directly in view/access by CGC folks to maintain impropriety. In this way, we have the separation of the companies yet fulfill as much need for information without confusing the market.

You are probably right about that. Expecting CGC to disclose pressing on the label is probably too optimistic and irrealist.

I agree that this would be a very good and useful set of information for buyers.

In fact it might be the best suggestion made in this place in a long time.

Still didn't address the main problem.

"We are working as hard as we can to catch up"

Here's a couple of idea's.

Don't send graders to cons for witnessing sigs.

Run more than one shift on the encapsulation machine

Hire more unqualified guys to do the grunt work.

Graders should grade - not answer phones,go to cons or be posting on here.

That annoyed the hell out of me to see a grader posting in moderns.

It doesn't take a mental giant to operate a machine,put slabs in boxes,type stuff and drive a van to the post office.

If you have 8 graders then rotate them so the facility is going 24/7.

Pay them overtime.

If you can't hire more - pay more.

You are making a mint here guys.

This isn't a rant,its plain old common sense.

Still didn't address the main problem.
The problem is that people here have different ideas on what the main problem is. Some think TATs is the problem, some think this will hurt their CPR side business, some think ensuring integrity and separation of the companies is important, while others think making sure information is available for customers is there.

I don't disagree with some of your business ideas on improving TATs...some of these have stumped me for a long time as to why they didn't implement some of these ideas a long time ago. However, paying more does not necessarily solve the problem, and most are already putting in 60 hours a week (and thus are probably already being paid overtime). I'm of the opinion that there is a scaling problem.

Resto removal?

Classics will still offer this service. However, Classics can now work with CGC to ensure all removal is achieved before grading which will eliminate wasted CGC fees.

:banana:

got a couple of double covers with resto on the outer cover i was not sending in because i didn't want to chance them coming back purple. now i can get 'er done.