• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Acquires Classics Inc - Response to your Questions

1,162 posts in this topic

A consumer can identify a conflict of interest in a service provider's affiliation with another service provider & still asses the risk as low that the consumer won't realize the high benefit they forecast from the service.

The conflict, even if only perceived or speculative, exists; but, it's negligible, discounted, & ignored.

The consumer hires the service provider without further ado.

Then the internets.

+1x10^1000000000

My posts are always the best.

81% of the time !!!

I truly dont want to be negitive but when a CGC staffer starts a thread then I would guess that person would come back and read it some day ?

Turnng the tread into a mess just tells CGC we are all nuts ?

How about the topic without the nuts ?

You all do get it that if a realy good idea or sugestion is posted in a lot of then CGC will never read it ?

Merry Xmas :)

Labeling a book pressed. Never going to happen.

As much as I think most people don't care, some people obviously do.

The fact is CGC can detect everything but pressing and dry cleaning a reasonably large amount of the time.

They can label a book with the correct publishing info correctly almost every time.

They figure they can grade a book consistently with in their own standards a reasonably large amount of the time.

They can not detect pressing consistently in any sort of way at all. Even if suspect, they can't guarantee if the it was a result of a dry mount press last week or storage conditions over the last 50 years that resulted in the characteristics that might demonstrate the book has been pressed.

CGC can't guarantee 100% accuracy or consistency on what they do sell, but they definitely can't sell guesses.

So yes, even if they know it was pressed down tbe hall, it won't get labeled because, even if only by a fraction, it would put those books at a disadvantage on tbe open market and consumers would not use the service.

I'm not sure even CGC could have answered this question better.

I truly dont want to be negitive but when a CGC staffer starts a thread then I would guess that person would come back and read it some day ?

Turnng the tread into a mess just tells CGC we are all nuts ?

How about the topic without the nuts ?

You all do get it that if a realy good idea or sugestion is posted in a lot of then CGC will never read it ?

Merry Xmas :)

Isn't it a holiday down there?

I think CGC has been closed Thursday and Friday.

They'll get back to ignoring this thread on Monday.

:baiting:

I would like to know if you would ever consider certifying paperbacks and hardcovers like this

hpandthesorcerersstone_paperback_lores.jpg

HungergamesCover.jpg

I would love to get my Harry Potter and Hunger Games collections certified, and I think certified hardcover books and paperbacks would open up a new source of money revenue for CGC.

Thanks in advance for the answer.

sincerly CC.

I would love to get my Harry Potter and Hunger Games collections certified, and I think certified hardcover books and paperbacks would open up a new source of money revenue for CGC.

Thanks in advance for the answer.

sincerly CC.

I especially would be interested in seeing graded paperbacks... particularly in a case that could sit on a shelf like a regular book... (maybe the grade # would be on the spine?). Would definitely give a boost to a stagnant market.

1st edition hardbacks would be trickier... so many sizes, thicknesses, with or without dust-jackets. Plus a company would really need someone who can properly identify printings, states, etc.

But paperbacks and pulps might actually be do-able!

The fact is CGC can detect everything but pressing and dry cleaning a reasonably large amount of the time.

They can label a book with the correct publishing info correctly almost every time.

They figure they can grade a book consistently with in their own standards a reasonably large amount of the time.

They can not detect pressing consistently in any sort of way at all. Even if suspect, they can't guarantee if the it was a result of a dry mount press last week or storage conditions over the last 50 years that resulted in the characteristics that might demonstrate the book has been pressed.

CGC can't guarantee 100% accuracy or consistency on what they do sell, but they definitely can't sell guesses.

So yes, even if they know it was pressed down tbe hall, it won't get labeled because, even if only by a fraction, it would put those books at a disadvantage on tbe open market and consumers would not use the service.

^^

(actually a shared win, as maloney414 brought it up first in this thread)... but this states it perfectly. Identifying pressed books would be a disaster... what CGC (or any good dealer for that matter) has most to offer is consistency and integrity. If you can't label or identify something with consistency, and if it's something that can't be verified by another outside expert, it's actually detrimental to identify it.

As for conflict of interest, I'll just say this... who has more conflict of interest than a dealer? I buy the books, I grade them, I do restoration checks, I price them and I sell them. Yet I do not "force" grades (even when I realize I've lost money on the purchase), I've never had anybody question my grading integrity, and I certainly wouldn't sell out long-term reputation for short-term gain (nor would Dale or Bedrock or Gator or Moondog or others that have a long-standing reputation to maintain). Why would CGC risk their reputation any more than would the rest of us? It's a question I don't think I've seen asked.

As for conflict of interest, I'll just say this... who has more conflict of interest than a dealer? I buy the books, I grade them, I do restoration checks, I price them and I sell them.

Dealers sell books, CGC sell an opinion. Apples to oranges there.

Steve,

Do you see now - or at any point in the future - Matt's services being proactively offered by CGC post-grading and pre re-submission?

An example...

A key book is submitted, graded at 8.5 and classified as Restored (CT). Before being returned to the owner, CGC contacts the individual, explains the problem and offers to have the colour touch removed, indicating that they think if the work is done, it can be resubmitted and achieve an 8.0 Universal.

As I'm sure you know, this was the modus operandi utilised when PCS was 'underground', so to speak.

Is this 'consultancy approach' likely to be revived using Matt's expertise?

(: Great question (thumbs u

felllows you read over the important part or didnt notice it

quote snip

=======

As all of this relates to the purchase of Classics Incorporated, I am happy to consult with an advisory group of your peers to make sure that we do this properly

=====

Some one should start a tread so we can nominate 10 people to do this

not often do buisnesses give this opertunity

:)

(: Sounds great!

Graders should grade - not answer phones,go to cons or be posting on here.

That annoyed the hell out of me to see a grader posting in moderns.

How do you know he was posting on company time? Maybe he wasn't at work, or if he was, he was on lunch/coffee/cig break? (shrug)

And apart from anything else, I think we should see more of the CGC employees here. I would certain help some with the less-than-stellar PR they currently get.

(: Totally agree (thumbs u

:eyeroll: Maybe this is where the notes can be used to add value to the CGC process, if they changed their stance and provided notes to anyone who owned the graded copy, and listed any pressing that they do as part of the history so books previously pressed would be disclosed by way of the notes.

This to me would enhance the value of a CGC graded book, by making detailed information about the history of the book available to me. Also answers critics calls to disclose pressing by CGC.

I don't think this puts CGC books at a disadvantage, on the contrary it makes the buyers of them more informed hm

One last thing, while we got CGC's attention right here on the boards - CHANGE YOUR STANCE ON COVERS REATTACHED WITH TAPE! It's stupid and undermines your credibility when people can use your (CGC's) rules to manipulate value.

Th-th-th-th-that's all folks (thumbs u

Can Matt still sell comics?

No, Matt cannot engage in selling comics just like the rest of the employees employed by the Certified Collectibles Group.

Regards,

Steve Eichenbaum

CEO

Certified Collectibles Group

I am a bit confused with this part of the answers.

I thought there was a loophole that they where allowed since at one point Steve Borock was selling comics.

Here's the legalese:

Q: CGC is described as independent and third-party. What does that mean?

A: CGC does not buy or sell comic books and does not have a financial interest in the comic books that we certify. In fact, employees of CGC are prohibited from buying and selling comic books commercially.

So there's the "commercially" caveat, added for some specific reason. Maybe employees can't sell as a commercial entity, but could consign personal collections to blind venues. All speculation, but their HR or legal dept would know, advise employees and explain permissions.

What I wonder is, could Nelson go the Haplerin route, just set up a minion with a "Gallery", some totally separate legal entity to funnel their wares through? And if not, why not? (shrug)

So if this is the legalese why is Fair market value used for Walkthroughs?

They may not buy or sell the book but they sure want a "piece" of what it "may" sell for.

Hence my issues with in house pressing. Except for buying the material CGC is like the IRS, how many different ways and times can they collect off of the book.

FT- Well respected member, against pressing, past issues with Matt Nelson, definition of integrity. (Dealer)

Pat - Me. I would be a person who is in the middle, no interest in either party.

Dale - Same. (Dealer)

Bob - Same.(Dealer)

Bedrock - I will never know as much as him, but Matt N. is like family to him. (Dealer)

namisgr - Is not someone who would be happy about this union. 40 years collecting, pretty good at identifying flaws from resto and conservation.

Miles - Middle.

Roy - Loves the CGC like he wants to have their baby. Unkown as to relationship with Matt. (Dealer)

Theagenes - Well versed in historiacal significance, pulp, and Tarzan. Also very interested in Restoration work. No real interest in either party though.

Waid - I do not know who this is.

But I may suggest Joeypost (CFP) comics. Presser of comics, may be able to shed light on topic.

Not all of us are familiar with those people. Are they all BSD who would only be thinking of their own self-interests? If so, I'd like to add Danny Dupcak's name to the list in order to balance it out. At worst, it's a chance to get DD alone in a room where 10 people can beat the mess out of him.

Should bring you up to date.

From another thread and so accurately true:

Ultimately, this is a futile discussion. Individuals who feel their books have been damaged by pressing will post their evidence or experience, those who suckle at the CPR tit will either deny or minimize whatever is presented because it's in their interests to do so, and round and round we will continue to go.

I still think CGC should disclose all the information that they do have, if not on the label (probably too optimistic and irrealist), at least along the grader's notes. It's all about the question of being transparent or not.

And if some people don't care if a book has been pressed or not, why would they care then if that information is provided for a fraction of the books (those pressed by CI), why would they think that such a book will get penalized ? Will that prevent them from buying the book ? Probably not but those whom care about pressing will get better information and make better decision in their purchase decision process.

They may not buy or sell the book but they sure want a "piece" of what it "may" sell for.

Hence my issues with in house pressing. Except for buying the material CGC is like the IRS, how many different ways and times can they collect off of the book.

Yours is a question for lawyers. Maybe "a financial interest" is some legal term with specific meaning, beyond the common usage.

And the IRS! :eek: Hey, don't give them any ideas. Next thing you know, Big Numbers will only be valid for a year, with an annual renewal fee option. Like frikken auto tags. :ohnoez:

:golfclap: excellent point. I've always had issue with this - how do they determine FMV, and if I sub a book that is red-hot at the time, do I base my submission fee on the listed value or going prices? A flat-rate pricing model for grading (and soon other services), based on a range of a books value would make more sense and seem less exploitive on CGC's part.