• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Acquires Classics Inc - Response to your Questions

1,162 posts in this topic

Will CGC disclose pressing on the label for the books they will now know for 100% sure have been pressed ?

It would be unwise on their part. 2c

Because the general public will begin assuming books without that note were not pressed. Which would be untrue.

Hence my note about changing policies midstream and confusing customers.

Will you be hiring Daniel Dupcak at some point? Just imagine what his skills, knowledge, and experience could bring to the CGC table. Might as well make it a clean sweep. After all, Tom Hanks hired Leonardo in that DC movie about the Flash writing bad checks.

lol! Beyond the pale stupidity, front and center in the display store window.

Will you be hiring Daniel Dupcak at some point? Just imagine what his skills, knowledge, and experience could bring to the CGC table. Might as well make it a clean sweep. After all, Tom Hanks hired Leonardo in that DC movie about the Flash writing bad checks.

lol! Beyond the pale stupidity, front and center in the display store window.

(thumbs u

Resto removal?

Classics will still offer this service. However, Classics can now work with CGC to ensure all removal is achieved before grading which will eliminate wasted CGC fees.

As an independent member of the Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) of companies, Classics will operate as a stand alone business separate from CGC.

Who from CGC will be working with CI on the resto detection in the instances of removal? And if CI are still an independent company, how come CGC will be allowed to do this now?

Not being arsey here, just a genuine question out of interest.

I am curious about this as well.

Sounds ok to me. (shrug)

Matt can verify for his customer that he's done enough resto removal to warrant a blue label. Thus avoiding a 2nd attempt to redo the process with more grading fees.

It is NOT a discussion about the numerical grade the book would receive: "The grade of the book is the grade of the book."

The question was who from CGC will work with CI. And as they're both separate companies, how come they can talk now when they couldn't before? What's the change?

CGC should have no idea if resto has been removed from a book or not before it enters their facility, resto has been missed by CI before now, so if it's missed by CI with CGC's input and then picked up on grading you have a problem. A 'conflict of interest' as it were.

And if they can work with CI on resto removal, they can work with CI on pressing, no?

Response to our questions? Hardly. CGC have made 2 statements.... That's it.

I've seen the posts about them being "embarrassed" about TAT's a few times and it's just lip service. I'll be very surprised if we're not up to 12 months by this time next year.

Do you really think that if there was genuine, respected competition that could keep up with turn around times we'd have CGC making us wait this long?

I really feel that the little guy has been left behind in this deal. I submit a measly 30 books a year roughly and I don't think CGC could care less if I stop submitting.

Response to our questions? Hardly. CGC have made 2 statements.... That's it.

I've seen the posts about them being "embarrassed" about TAT's a few times and it's just lip service. I'll be very surprised if we're not up to 12 months by this time next year.

Do you really think that if there was genuine, respected competition that could keep up with turn around times we'd have CGC making us wait this long?

I really feel that the little guy has been left behind in this deal. I submit a measly 30 books a year roughly and I don't think CGC could care less if I stop submitting.

They care about me and my "free" membership

At least Gemma does

Maybe I'll renew as those turn around times are faster

No. Why would they? They haven't in the past and what would make you think they would change that stance now?

My question was directed to Steve Eichenbaum, I didn't know you were working for CGC and could answer for them.

As for why they would, one of the reasons that was given in the past is that pressing was very hard to detect and then that there was no way for CGC to confirm that a book has been pressed or not.

Now that this is going to change for several books, I would like to know what will be CGC stance for the books that they now know for sure that have been pressed.

Thank you in advance Mr Eichenbaum for your upcoming answer to my question.

My man, my opinion (and I don't think CGC is going to answer it which is why I'm giving it) is that CGC will not notate pressing on the label because it's impossible to detect with any great degree of accuracy.

Even if they notated all the books that came through the new service that were known to be pressed, the playing field would not be the same because they would not be able to notate (or detect it) on books that did not come through the new service.

The job of the grader is simply to grade the book as it sits in front of them with no prior knowledge of the book.

Does anyone think that CGC will put CI at a competitive disadvantage by labeling their books as pressed? By doing so they would instantaneously devalue the CI acquisition. Won't happen.

They will not be putting any more notes on the label than they do for any other book.

Resto removal?

Classics will still offer this service. However, Classics can now work with CGC to ensure all removal is achieved before grading which will eliminate wasted CGC fees.

As an independent member of the Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) of companies, Classics will operate as a stand alone business separate from CGC.

Who from CGC will be working with CI on the resto detection in the instances of removal? And if CI are still an independent company, how come CGC will be allowed to do this now?

Sounds ok to me. (shrug)

Matt can verify for his customer that he's done enough resto removal to warrant a blue label. Thus avoiding a 2nd attempt to redo the process with more grading fees.

It is NOT a discussion about the numerical grade the book would receive: "The grade of the book is the grade of the book."

The question was who from CGC will work with CI. And as they're both separate companies, how come they can talk now when they couldn't before? What's the change?

Who said they couldn't talk before? Are you saying if Matt had a question about a book, and ran into a grader at a con he would have been forbidden from talking to him? If so, I didn't know that was a policy.

I think the change is that Matt will be next door, instead of another state. Now he can walk it over and have a discussion with a grader with the book in hand. Something not possible before without shipping it back and forth, or running into a grader at a con.

CGC should have no idea if resto has been removed from a book or not before it enters their facility, resto has been missed by CI before now, so if it's missed by CI with CGC's input and then picked up on grading you have a problem. A 'conflict of interest' as it were.

It's just a way for Matt to improve his services, and decrease the chance of CI missing resto. If the scenaro you describe were to happen, it would still be Matt's issue (not CGC) since he felt the book was ready for grading. 2c

And if they can work with CI on resto removal, they can work with CI on pressing, no?

A consumer can identify a conflict of interest in a service provider's affiliation with another service provider & still asses the risk as low that the consumer won't realize the high benefit they forecast from the service.

The conflict, even if only perceived or speculative, exists; but, it's negligible, discounted, & ignored.

The consumer hires the service provider without further ado.

Then the internets.

+1x10^1000000000

So far I'm seeing questions with no answers, and boardies acting as filters who have been suggesting which questions are going to get answered, but no actual answers from CGC.

Was this thread started to have us answer each others questions? :P

Because there's already another thread where's that's been happening.

A consumer can identify a conflict of interest in a service provider's affiliation with another service provider & still asses the risk as low that the consumer won't realize the high benefit they forecast from the service.

The conflict, even if only perceived or speculative, exists; but, it's negligible, discounted, & ignored.

The consumer hires the service provider without further ado.

Then the internets.

+1x10^1000000000

My posts are always the best.

I think people need to realize this is a manner of monetizing a service, to scale on people's level of impatience.

AFA has a 6 month turnaround on their lowest level of service. Their 1 week turnaround is almost three times the amount.

In recent times, every aspect of this business has been a raging locomotive of revenue generation, and I don't expect turnaround times to change except to convince people they need to pay more to flip their junk before the bottom gives out.

Resto removal?

Sounds ok to me. (shrug)

Exactly. That is the problem.

And hence my question to CGC that some people found so "moronic"....

Who said they couldn't talk before? Are you saying if Matt had a question about a book, and ran into a grader at a con he would have been forbidden from talking to him? If so, I didn't know that was a policy.

I think the change is that Matt will be next door, instead of another state. Now he can walk it over and have a discussion with a grader with the book in hand. Something not possible before without shipping it back and forth, or running into a grader at a con.

Resto removal?

I think people need to realize this is a manner of monetizing a service, to scale on people's level of impatience.

AFA has a 6 month turnaround on their lowest level of service. Their 1 week turnaround is almost three times the amount.

In recent times, every aspect of this business has been a raging locomotive of revenue generation, and I don't expect turnaround times to change except to convince people they need to pay more to flip their junk before the bottom gives out.

Also, the rhetoric about con season causing delays has been replaced by too few graders.

The terrible turnaround times, which were a derivation from the norm, will and are becoming the new norm. There will be no returning to the norm. By delaying the turnaround times they can acccept an ever growing number of submissions without any regard for preexisting orders. It's a bad business model that is currently working due to lack of competition.

Business is funny that way, if the need in any marketplace is strong enough, there will be someone to fill the void.

Just remember, an individual is only as loyal their options.

Can Matt still sell comics?

No, Matt cannot engage in selling comics just like the rest of the employees employed by the Certified Collectibles Group.

Regards,

Steve Eichenbaum

CEO

Certified Collectibles Group

I am a bit confused with this part of the answers.

I thought there was a loophole that they where allowed since at one point Steve Borock was selling comics.

Resto removal?

This only works if the restoration check is kept entirely seperate from the grading. The restoration person would have to know a particular book came through Classics for restoration removal service. Which means it would obviously need to be marked in some way. We all know they use a barcode. I suppose if resto is found the barcode could be scanned by the restoration check person to find out if the book came through classics and needs to go back.

Graders would have to be kept entirely seperate from restoration check and the information from the barcode should not be available to them.

However, I'm pretty sure some people such as Litch take on a dual role. I'm almost certain that books have cleared through the resto check before but then have work of some type found by a grader.

Labeling a book pressed. Never going to happen.

As much as I think most people don't care, some people obviously do.

The fact is CGC can detect everything but pressing and dry cleaning a reasonably large amount of the time.

They can label a book with the correct publishing info correctly almost every time.

They figure they can grade a book consistently with in their own standards a reasonably large amount of the time.

They can not detect pressing consistently in any sort of way at all. Even if suspect, they can't guarantee if the it was a result of a dry mount press last week or storage conditions over the last 50 years that resulted in the characteristics that might demonstrate the book has been pressed.

CGC can't guarantee 100% accuracy or consistency on what they do sell, but they definitely can't sell guesses.

So yes, even if they know it was pressed down tbe hall, it won't get labeled because, even if only by a fraction, it would put those books at a disadvantage on tbe open market and consumers would not use the service.