• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Acquires Classics Inc - Response to your Questions

1,162 posts in this topic

No. Why would they? They haven't in the past and what would make you think they would change that stance now?

My question was directed to Steve Eichenbaum, I didn't know you were working for CGC and could answer for them.

As for why they would, one of the reasons that was given in the past is that pressing was very hard to detect and then that there was no way for CGC to confirm that a book has been pressed or not.

Now that this is going to change for several books, I would like to know what will be CGC stance for the books that they now know for sure that have been pressed.

Thank you in advance Mr Eichenbaum for your upcoming answer to my question.

My man, my opinion (and I don't think CGC is going to answer it which is why I'm giving it) is that CGC will not notate pressing on the label because it's impossible to detect with any great degree of accuracy.

Even if they notated all the books that came through the new service that were known to be pressed, the playing field would not be the same because they would not be able to notate (or detect it) on books that did not come through the new service.

The job of the grader is simply to grade the book as it sits in front of them with no prior knowledge of the book.

Sticker it "classics improved." Problem solved.

This hobby needs more stickers, less cowbell! :headbang:

Curious, why do the graders have to 'grade all day'? I can see how that would be a difficult sell and would result in some quick burnout. Why not set up a job rotation process where a grader grades books for 4 hours per day then swaps with someone else (another grader) and moves to encapsulation, customer service or something else for the remainder of the day.

Because graders are hard to find. It would be a waste of time to have them run an encapsulation machine or pick up phones.

Curious, why do the graders have to 'grade all day'? I can see how that would be a difficult sell and would result in some quick burnout. Why not set up a job rotation process where a grader grades books for 4 hours per day then swaps with someone else (another grader) and moves to encapsulation, customer service or something else for the remainder of the day.

Because graders are hard to find. It would be a waste of time to have them run an encapsulation machine or pick up phones.

I'd also add that I believe CGC's poor standards of grading have coincided with the ever-increasing pressure to clear an ever-increasing backlog.

I am often involved in 'mass grading' - I'm doing it right now - and I can tell you there are a maximum number of hours you can do it per day...and you need to take constant breaks.

My own pattern of work is a five hour shift and then a five/six hour shift, separated by a meal and an hour nap. I also take ten minutes out every hour to clear my head and, most importantly, re-adjust my eyes.

I'd also add that I believe CGC's poor standards of grading have coincided with the ever-increasing pressure to clear an ever-increasing backlog.

I am often involved in 'mass grading' - I'm doing it right now - and I can tell you there are a maximum number of hours you can do it per day...and you need to take constant breaks.

My own pattern of work is a five hour shift and then a five/six hour shift, separated by a meal and an hour nap. I also take ten minutes out every hour to clear my head and, most importantly, re-adjust my eyes.

Could very well be.

I know after a day at a con staring at comics (as a buyer) I really need a nap and a shower before I can even head out and enjoy dinner.

If anyone hasn't done it, squinting at books for hours at a time is tiring, straining work.

They might be easier to find, and may stick around a little longer, if they didn't have to stare at books 8-10 hrs a day.

They might be easier to find, and may stick around a little longer, if they didn't have to stare at books 8-10 hrs a day.

...but all that would do is slow down the grading process...which is one of their biggest problems right now.

...but all that would do is slow down the grading process...which is one of their biggest problems right now.

No it wouldn't, not if you could find more interested graders due to the added variation in job duties. If you have 10 graders, 2 customer service reps, 2 encapsulators, 2 shippers...hire 16 graders and have them rotate through all of the jobs to keep it interesting. Same amount of employees but you don't have 10 sitting in a dark room with their head down staring at small spine tics all day...just half the day.

Anyway, just a thought...

No it wouldn't, not if you could find more interested graders due to the added variation in job duties. If you have 10 graders, 2 customer service reps, 2 encapsulators, 2 shippers...hire 16 graders and have them rotate through all of the jobs to keep it interesting. Same amount of employees but you don't have 10 sitting in a dark room with their head down staring at small spine tics all day...just half the day.

Anyway, just a thought...

OK, but keep in mind that graders will likely get paid more than encapsulators or shippers so now you have to pay more for your workforce, increasing costs at CGC.

How do you compensate for that? Raise prices?

Resto removal?

Classics will still offer this service. However, Classics can now work with CGC to ensure all removal is achieved before grading which will eliminate wasted CGC fees.

:banana:

got a couple of double covers with resto on the outer cover i was not sending in because i didn't want to chance them coming back purple. now i can get 'er done.

That's an interesting scenario there. The outer cover has resto but the inner cover is the one that gets the grade hm

I'd just remove the cover myself.

Why? I wouldn't as the book is going to be more valuable as a double cover regardless of what the outer cover grade is.

And I can't imagine taking the out cover of a book :shrug:

My assumption was that it would be cheaper to remove the outer cover than to remove restoration. I'm a big fan of keeping a book together, though.