• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron Man - Marvel NOW!

17 posts in this topic

What does everyone think of the new Iron Man? I have never read an Iron Man comic and understand the story is kind of a combination of some past stories. That was fine with me since I am a new reader to the series.

The only thing that really bothered me was the art. I had no idea that Greg Land had the reputation he did until I started researching him a bit after reading the first issue. I was going solely on his cover of ASM 666 for Midtown and thought he was a good artist, looks like I was wrong.

I have read both 1 & 2 and will give it a story arc before I make my decision to continue. One of the things that bodes well for me continuing reading the series is that art is secondary to a good story, so if GIllen can keep my interest I will keep reading regardless of the art.

What does everyone think of the new Iron Man? I have never read an Iron Man comic and understand the story is kind of a combination of some past stories. That was fine with me since I am a new reader to the series.

The only thing that really bothered me was the art. I had no idea that Greg Land had the reputation he did until I started researching him a bit after reading the first issue. I was going solely on his cover of ASM 666 for Midtown and thought he was a good artist, looks like I was wrong.

I have read both 1 & 2 and will give it a story arc before I make my decision to continue. One of the things that bodes well for me continuing reading the series is that art is secondary to a good story, so if GIllen can keep my interest I will keep reading regardless of the art.

So the art is, in your opinion, no good?

I've been interested in picking this up, but for me the art is as important as the story.... so this is an interesting post.

I've been interested in picking this up, but for me the art is as important as the story.... so this is an interesting post.

Greg Land traces other artists and photographs to make his "art". There are numerous examples found on the web.

I didn't think the art was good at all. Land made Stark look like he was of Asian decent. In number 2 it was difficult to tell the difference between Stark and the bad guy.

Here is a site with some examples:

http://jimsmash.blogspot.com/2008/06/more-greg-land-tracing.html

I am not sure why he gets such a hard time about using photo references but I do understand the issues people have with obvious tracing.

I have not been impressed with it so far. I have an almost complete run of Iron Man, but, I may end it here, unless it picks up soon.

That's the one thing I like about these reboots... it's the ability to walk away from a title I was only buying to continue the set.

I have not read the new Iron Man but look forward to reading more feedback.

I don't hate the art, I don't hate the story. I just find it kind of average all around. I haven't read #2 yet, but #1 didn't leave me clamoring for it.

So far, of the new NOW! books, I've read All New X-Men #1, Cap #1, Deadpool #1 and #2, Mighty Thor #1, Iron Man #1, and Indestructible Hulk #1. The only one I'd say I enjoyed was Cap #1, but that's Remender so it's to be expected. All New seems promising, but it's definite wait and see. The others are average or below.

I used this whole NOW deal as a drop point on everything Marvel except Fantastic Four. Iron Man was one that I really was waffling on as I have really been enjoying Iron Man over the last few years, I'm sort of glad to hear that may have been a good decision. I'll go back and buy them super cheap later if I feel the need.

The story was certainly average. I've kept up with a lot of iron mans stories over the past 8 or so years and this re launch feels too much like been there done that. Especially coming off of matt fractions great run. Thor on the other hand i thought was an awesome read

I do not mind the story so much, the art is just plain awful. In issue 2 Tony Stark and the antagonist look so much alike I had to double check to make sure I did not miss something. One of my friends pointed out that this may have been intentional but I figured Land traced the same photo for each character.