• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So how do you press a book?

146 posts in this topic

It's like asking coke to let you know their secret formula since you want to know what you are ingesting.

Pricing was through the roof for a long time because competition simply was not there. It is only after competition arrived that nosebleed prices have come down.

Regarding sharing methods, anyone worth their salt would not. Early on I helped out a few board member who promised "I only want to do this for myself", it will not impact your business. Well, after getting bitten in the posterior a few times I no longer do it.

You want to know whats happening with your books? They are being pressed professionally. Thats why you sent them in after all. The results for the pro's speak for themselves.

I cannot tell you how many books I have to fix, even from individuals who own a press, after they botch them up. As simple as everyone says it is, they often realise it is not.

I certainly respect that Joey. I've used your services before and have been pleased.

My question is what makes your technique better or different than others?

Is the only difference price at this point? Or is there an advantage to using your service over Matt's besides price.

I could easily PM you this rather than publicly but thought it might help others understand since you are participating in the thread.

Again no trade secrets are needed.

What do you look for when you purchase anything?

1- Quality of service or product.

2- Speed of getting said product or service.

3- Books spending less time in transit, having less of a chance of damage after pressing. It costs me to drive down to CGC from where I live. That is something i do because I want to. I could easily box them up but I chose not to.

4- You get replies directly from me when you have an issue.

5- Value. Why pay more or be forced to submit X number of books to have a chance at getting books priced accurately.

6- Added services for free as part of the process. I don't charge for every little thing. As long as I pay my bills I am happy. Think dry cleaning and pre-screening.

7- Trust. I don't believe I have ever created the need for anyone to question my ethics.

It's like asking coke to let you know their secret formula since you want to know what you are ingesting.

I totally understand your perspective, but at the very least there should be a minimum of information given to the consumer on high level processes. Probably more important than knowing what is happening is disclosure of what ISN'T happening that makes you more professional than a hack. All of this can be done without disclosing the "secret sauce". BTW your previous post helps in this regard.

Totally understand that it's a trade and part of your livelihood...it's a balancing effort for sure.

As more folks come out of the wood work thinking they can do it "better, faster cheaper" I know consumers will want to know. Of course, your services speak for themselves for anyone who's been receiving them already.

Reputation is huge and probably does a lot about this; I'm concerned with the fly-by-night start ups that will inevitably occur once CI is under CCG's roof.

Pricing was through the roof for a long time because competition simply was not there. It is only after competition arrived that nosebleed prices have come down.

Regarding sharing methods, anyone worth their salt would not. Early on I helped out a few board member who promised "I only want to do this for myself", it will not impact your business. Well, after getting bitten in the posterior a few times I no longer do it.

You want to know whats happening with your books? They are being pressed professionally. Thats why you sent them in after all. The results for the pro's speak for themselves.

I cannot tell you how many books I have to fix, even from individuals who own a press, after they botch them up. As simple as everyone says it is, they often realise it is not.

I certainly respect that Joey. I've used your services before and have been pleased.

My question is what makes your technique better or different than others?

Is the only difference price at this point? Or is there an advantage to using your service over Matt's besides price.

I could easily PM you this rather than publicly but thought it might help others understand since you are participating in the thread.

Again no trade secrets are needed.

What do you look for when you purchase anything?

1- Quality of service or product.

2- Speed of getting said product or service.

3- Books spending less time in transit, having less of a chance of damage after pressing. It costs me to drive down to CGC from where I live. That is something i do because I want to. I could easily box them up but I chose not to.

4- You get replies directly from me when you have an issue.

5- Value. Why pay more or be forced to submit X number of books to have a chance at getting books priced accurately.

6- Added services for free as part of the process. I don't charge for every little thing. As long as I pay my bills I am happy. Think dry cleaning and pre-screening.

7- Trust. I don't believe I have ever created the need for anyone to question my ethics.

Thanks Joey. I think this is great (not only for me but for others to see also).

I definitely trust you. Never had any question there. (thumbs u

It just shows that the market is maturing and the demand is there.

I run a services business for a major software company, you can buy from us, pay more, and get better results faster, or you can go with a less expensive alternative that might get you want you want in more time with more mistakes and lower quality, but you pay less.

For some things it makes sense to roll the dice, knowing what you are getting and for others you want to pay more seasoned professionals.

It seems like they are trying to open up a market that people don't consider pressing for right now -- sub $100 books (they mention $30-$40 books in their video).

Seems like there is room for something like this. If it doesn't work, they'll stop.

I know everyone is getting a well deserved laugh out of Russ's pressing video, but at least he was forthright about showing his methods.

Parhaps if folks were a little more open about how pressing is actually done, there would be a bit less controversy about the subject.

Yeah, my point exactly. There's a lot he showed that flies in the face of common sense, but since I don't know what makes a press "good" or "bad", I'm thinking at least Russ is on the right path with up front disclosure and we'll all eventually know what are the kinds of things a "professional" should be doing to your book.

Kinda like fixing my car; I may not know the ins and outs but I know to stay away from people that don't use best practices.

Aside from exposing the book directly to the heat platen unprotected, and over flexing the hinge line. Opening a comic like this is just insane to me.

The stress it causes the staples is just mind blowing.

And notice when this comic is pressed flat you can see how the staple goes all cattywhampus, and will now be pressed into the cover, creating new indentations.

:facepalm:

DSC04840_zpsec249daa.jpg

DSC04841_zpsfb507341.jpg

I know everyone is getting a well deserved laugh out of Russ's pressing video, but at least he was forthright about showing his methods.

Parhaps if folks were a little more open about how pressing is actually done, there would be a bit less controversy about the subject.

Yeah, my point exactly. There's a lot he showed that flies in the face of common sense, but since I don't know what makes a press "good" or "bad", I'm thinking at least Russ is on the right path with up front disclosure and we'll all eventually know what are the kinds of things a "professional" should be doing to your book.

Kinda like fixing my car; I may not know the ins and outs but I know to stay away from people that don't use best practices.

Aside from exposing the book directly to the heat platen unprotected, and overflexing the hingeline. Opening a comic like this is just insane to me.

The stress it causes the staples is just mind blowing.

And notice when this comic is pressed flat you can see how the staple goes all cattywhampus, and will now be pressed into the cover, creating new indentations.

:facepalm:

DSC04840_zpsec249daa.jpg

DSC04841_zpsfb507341.jpg

I've not heard anyone say caddywompus in 30 years. :cloud9:

Thanks, Ze- very informative--at least on why doing that way would be bad practice. :thumbsup:

To be honest with you, I was shocked when I saw his videos. Still am I guess.

And rather then have him damage countless books, perhaps he will alter his process now to avoid cooking books, and popping centerfolds.

I have had books pressed by Joey and "every" result was excellent. I purchased a press and wanted to do some of my less desirable and cheaper comics and Joey was kind enough to give me a couple of basic pointers.

The school of hard knocks and practice makes perfect is there for a reason and the time and effort these individuals put in to hone there craft should pay them dividends.

Would I like a crash course on how to press like a pro? You bet.. Should they have to divulge all there hard gained insight?..Not a chance. (thumbs u

I'm starting to understand why services create names for their processes and add ™ to the end of them. It masks the proprietary nature of the process and gives an intangible sheen of trust to the service being performed.

So if someone's promising that the new Fiber-Flex™ leafcasting technology is the only way to fill missing pieces in a natural and unnoticeable way, I'm more likely to believe it.

If they're using their new Resto-Max™ pressing process to make the book look like new, I have less reason to question it.

I'm not a marketer, I only play one in this post.

People make jokes about PGX and how they grade out of a gargage, and take books home to grade while watching tv.

I'd like to know how my books are stored after they are recieved, what controls are in place in the work area, and how they are stored afterward.

Is the workplace smoke free. Is it climate controlled? The level of insurance the company has, many other things. Is this a real company or someone working out of a backroom. To say that all I need to know is the books are being done by a professional is a joke. The jerks at PGX and Comic Supply call themselves professionals as well.

Years ago, I was gung ho about how we needed to debate pressing and disclose pressing and talk about how pressing was done. Nowadays, I see that was a mistake. The only thing talking about pressing did was create more pressers.

A professional will invest the time and energy to answer questions that can be answered.

Am I insured. Yes. Your books are insure while they are in my posession and when they are in transit.

They are stored in thick plastic storage containers while they are waiting to be processed. They are kept in a secure, temperature controlled area. Away from any chance of damage.

My work are is well lit, temperature controlled and I maintain it on a daily basis. Controls are in place to keep books safe and secure, even while I am working on them. In case you are wondering, I do not setup on my kitchen table to do work. I have a dedicated space.

Once processed they are placed back into a plastic storage container while awating final processing, and are either mailed out to you (usually double boxed with plenty of protection) or driven down to CGC.

Any books that are going to CGC are placed back in a secure area and held there until I drive them down to CGC.

Years ago, I was gung ho about how we needed to debate pressing and disclose pressing and talk about how pressing was done. Nowadays, I see that was a mistake. The only thing talking about pressing did was create more pressers.

Press your luck

Press the flesh

Pressed into service

Press Release

Meet the Press

Freedom of the press

power of the press

press your advantage

You should talk some more about how hot women love geeky blokes who collect comics.