• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Personal Comic Book/Original Art Acquisitions of 2012!

298 posts in this topic

Hey Gang, :hi:

I did this same thread last year so I might as well post it every year going forward.

Show the comic board community your Top 3 Comic Book and/or Original Art purchases for your collection for the year ending 2012!

(Post only personal acquisitions, and not items you have sold or dealer profit books, etc...)

Maybe a little background on each item in relation to why is was your top priority in 2012.

My family to yours wishing everyone has a Happy Holiday Season!

5th.jpg

SOT

#1 Venom Lethal Protector #1 CGC 9.8 "Error Black Cover"

Courtesy of a random eBay seller I bought it Raw then on-sited the book at WW Philly for CGC grading:

I sold my CGC 9.9 this year, and just replaced it with a 9.8 which is just as good.

As everyone knows this book will always be the #1 modern variant in my opinion of all time. The only variant that I feel is comparable is Batman #608 RRP Only around 200-250 copies known to exist of the error cover and some are blacker than others. This one has a really nice black streak and gloss to it. Very Happy to add this to my personal collection!

017-1.jpg

#2 Rai #3 Original Art Page

Courtesy of another random eBay seller at a very reasonable price.

I usually do not buy original art, but since I grew up collecting comics in the 1990's I have a soft spot for the comic above as well as Pre-Unity Valiant. So when I had the opportunity to pick-up an OA page from the low-print run issue of Rai #3 I had to BIN. Trying to add one piece of OA per year from something that was instrumental in my comic book upbringing. Damn you TMc and Jim Lee for being expensive. :cry:

019.jpg

#3 Original art commission from Tony Moore at Stan Lee's ComiKaze this past September in LA.

Walking Dead Commission

Tony did a really good job on this piece, Very happy with it and will one day get it framed and mounted on a wall in my house or apt.

018.jpg

2013 I hope to pick up a TOS #39 and a couple early ASM's

I only made two somewhat major purchases this year. Both Love And Rockets related. First the art, it's just a quick sketch but it's a recreation of my favorite panel

tumblr_m7ca25EIdG1rwc0r8o1_500.jpg

And the comic

tumblr_md31mzri761rwc0r8o1_r1_400.jpg

Oh, I did also finally complete my Akira run. I guess #38 cost me almost as much as each of the items above as well.

As far as next year I'd like a Gilbert Hernandez sketch and to finish another run. Haven't decided which one yet. And some more nice HC's which I have been buying more of lately.

In order...

As some may know, I really jumped on the Walking Dead bandwagon this year in April when Brad and his lovely wife Erica, came to Toronto for my wife's surprise 40th. It showed me that comics can be fun again, and that they didn't have to cost me five figures, for me to actually enjoy them. Anyways after I picked up my first WD cover in June (issue #65) I had a huge hankering for a Tony Moore piece of art, and ended up swinging a deal with Tony himself, for the best two pieces he (by some miracle) still had available...

The first panel appearance of Glenn in the comics

13d4a58416549739410952cf7853b481.jpg

And the Death of Shane

f3115d0a1f3bda65ba0f47395c2f56f8.jpg

Then in September, I stumbled on a fairly low key collector, who had been sitting on my personal WD OA grail piece and offered it to me, after a rather large collector had balked at the super reasonable asking price :devil:

36E7EE13-AFA9-42DD-AF90-622F57FBB6DD-1072-0000026DC0DEF710.jpg

It's been a wonderful and successful year with the love affair that I'm having with everything Walking Dead.

Jim

As everyone knows this book will always be the #1 modern variant in my opinion of all time. The only variant that I feel is comparable is Batman #608 RRP Only around 200-250 copies known to exist of the error cover and some are blacker than others.

Sandman #8 error variant :makepoint:

1) The (new) crown jewel of my Daredevil collection:

daredevil-1-cgc-9.4-f.jpg

2) Meeting all the Swamp Thing creators at the Cincy Comic Expo was a fantastic experience:

swamp-thing-37-cgc-9.8-ss-copyb-f.jpg

3) Being able to finally pick up some of Teddy Kristiansen's House of Secrets covers made my year:

house-of-secrets-9-cover.pnghouse-of-secrets-10-cover.png

As everyone knows this book will always be the #1 modern variant in my opinion of all time. The only variant that I feel is comparable is Batman #608 RRP Only around 200-250 copies known to exist of the error cover and some are blacker than others.

Sandman #8 error variant :makepoint:

1) The (new) crown jewel of my Daredevil collection:

daredevil-1-cgc-9.4-f.jpg

Fantastic way to end your DD collection in style Mike. Uber Nice Copy!

As for Sandman #8 error..... :whatev: Cover is still the same. :whistle:

Hard to pick three. I'll be tempted to sneak back in here in a few days...

Awesome John Watson painting - his first published work - the cover to Comics International 115. This painting is done in both oil and acrylics and has a depth that a camera just does not capture. Spidey, GG and the pumpkin bombs look as though they leap off the canvas...

GreenGoblinVsSpider-Man.jpg

Lovely Joe Jusko art - Tomb Raider the Greatest Treasure of All Page 27. Gotta love that middle panel - for the incredible realistic detail of course. Jusko won a certificate of merit from the Society of Illustrators for his work on this book and at the time said stated it was his best - and most difficult - work ever.

TombRaiderGreatestTreasureofAllpg27.jpg

I could do three comic books - but here's my first choice

Teen Titans 1

TeenTitans1.jpg

Lovely Joe Jusko art - Tomb Raider the Greatest Treasure of All Page 27. Gotta love that middle panel - for the incredible realistic detail of course. Jusko won a certificate of merit from the Society of Illustrators for his work on this book and at the time said stated it was his best - and most difficult - work ever.

TombRaiderGreatestTreasureofAllpg27.jpg

Outstanding!

As a Starlin Captain Marvel / Warlock / Thanos fan...

6855975150_9d7d894396_c_d.jpg

and...

7183073750_e26049a54c_b_d.jpg

My all-time favourite Neal Adams book...

7023495519_9150168996_b_d.jpg

This is one represents years of searching, not just for this issue, but for ANY issue in this title. In fact the existence of the issue wasn't even known for sure until 2011. One of two known copies, this a 1953 comic featuring Conan the Cimmerian.

58cuentosdeabuelito1953sm.jpg

Tough to beat a GA Church 9.8. Hogarth cover.

Sparkler050Churchfc.jpg

Unless it's an original Frazetta sketch.

FrazettaSketchsm.jpg

Funds were pretty tight for me this year. I ended up saving up for the Baltimore Con where I wanted to get a few commissions. I scheduled 2 but only one was ready. The other one might be done this month but we will see.

Dooney Doc Ock 1887 Commission

The biggest one so far was my Michael Dooney Doc Ock 1887 commission. It was a strange character to choose but I really liked his 1887 theme and I wanted some type of Ock piece. MDooney_Lady_Ock.jpg

Sara Richard Phoenix Sketch Cover

I get one from her every year it seems. Crummy iPhone pic is all I uploaded.

320451_10151285419409392_48130251_n.jpg

"First" Death's Head set of books

I grew up in England when I first got into comics so the Marvel UK books have a special place in my heart. I got a little nostalgic this year and grabbed some of the first appearances of Death's Head. He was a Transformers character that Marvel wanted to keep around. So they put together a quick story and put it on the back of a few Marvel UK books to keep ownership of him. I thought it was an interesting story. Here it is on the back of Dragon's Claw #3. Death's Head ends up making a full appearance in Dragon's Claw #5. I also picked Dr. Who Magazine #135 where The Doctor shrinks Death's Head from his Transformer size to "regular" size.

B-1.jpg

F-2.jpg

27ca3479.jpg

It was hard picking only three as being the "TOP" three...but these were some of my favs....

La Prensa Ironman 1

HombredeHierro1LaPrensa-1.png

A foreign Rifleman 10

Aventura295-1.png

A 169/200 set from Peter Steigerwald (@ CGC)... :)

LMset169.png