• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conan Barbarian # 1 Pence Variant: Rarity is an understatement

188 posts in this topic

Which is another reason why it makes no sense to keep a Conan #1 pence copy hidden - doesn't matter how rare it would be it still wouldn't sell for as much as a cents copy.
I'd have to disagree with this based on the OP's statement.

I am willing to pay thouands for even a decent mid low grade.

I wouldn't pay as much but would pay more for one than I would a cents copy. (shrug)

Vault showed me an early pence spider-man seven or eight years ago, it had been restored, or shoud I say altered to make it look like a cents copy. Maybe someone did the same thing to a cents copy??

That's bizarre though I can understand why some people would do it with pence copies selling for less than cents copies.

Which is another reason why it makes no sense to keep a Conan #1 pence copy hidden - doesn't matter how rare it would be it still wouldn't sell for as much as a cents copy.

I'm not sure, with as rare as this is (probably not in existence) a sudden appearance of one could attract some serious interest if proven to be genuine. The sudden appearance of a lot would kill any value though. I certainly don't believe they exist.

Vault showed me an early pence spider-man seven or eight years ago, it had been restored, or shoud I say altered to make it look like a cents copy. Maybe someone did the same thing to a cents copy??

I remember seeing a picture of that copy. I seem to remember that it was a # 10, is that right?

Its my copy and you are correct Garry, it is a #10, it was me that showed it to you.

That's bizarre though I can understand why some people would do it with pence copies selling for less than cents copies.

I'm not sure, with as rare as this is (probably not in existence) a sudden appearance of one could attract some serious interest if proven to be genuine. The sudden appearance of a lot would kill any value though. I certainly don't believe they exist.

Yes - it's that rare it doesn't exist.

Well of course they exist. They are well confirmed by someone, somewhere. No one knows who this someone is and where they reside, but THEY EXIST DAMMIT!!!

;)

I remember seeing a picture of that copy. I seem to remember that it was a # 10, is that right?

Its my copy and you are correct Garry, it is a #10, it was me that showed it to you.

Glad to hear that at least a few of my memory cells are still working. :whee:

Ha..all the immense subjectivity has shown that a somewhat united 'conspiratorial' stand, regardless of whether its been premeditated to some extent outside of the threads or not, in not jut stamping out the existence of this rare book but also in trying to bring down its value relative to the more common cents copy (including the unofficial later printings). And a couple of them even took to character assassination. Such deplorable personal attacks speak volumes..

My last question to this united stand taken among this little group would be that, with attention to Neil, regarding the findings of McAlpine bk, was there any mention of how they derived at their findings and verifications of which issues were distrib & which weren't, i am sure the methodologies are sound, c'mon, have faith in the British way of doing things, i just want to clarify that while i am not from the UK, i have spoken to dealers and Marvel pence collectors on this, and so it is not a question of whether the bk exist or not but rather how many existing copies have been kept from destruction.

So rather than making things more confrontational and adversarjal between me and those who seemed to be vehemently against it, i will not be responding to this thread (maybe unless some genuinely productive/worthy response comes out. Thank u all for the understanding. Happy holidays

Glad to hear that at least a few of my memory cells are still working. :whee:

Here is that very issue, a pence copy that some fool decided it would be better to convert to a cents copy, its done well though and would be hard to detect with the naked eye. If it wasnt for a little bit of Thorpe & porter showing on he inside page you may never know until it came back as a PLOD.

It is very likely the same issue than Herc2000 is on about, as I bought this from John Pires ( Vault ) seems like more than the 7/8 years ago he quoted

AmazingSpiderman10.jpg

Ha..all the immense subjectivity has shown that a united sense of conspiracy in not jut stamping out the existence of this rare book but also in trying to bring down its value relative to the more common cents copy

I can assure you that there is no conspiracy, no one has spoken to me directly about this, in my mind this book exists and I have a clear ( kids ) memory of the tale I told.

But if you dont listen, when many highly regarded experts in the comic field say that it doesnt exist, then you will learn nothing.

I can assure you that I would absolutely love to find this issue and show it to the world.

I also consider myself an expert and have bought from and seen hundreds, if not thousands of collections over the years, but I have got to say that apart from that memory from school, I have never seen another Conan #1 pence copy.

I actually talk to Duncan Mcalpine from time to time and the next time I communicate with him, I will ask the question as to where he got the info for his guide and has he ever personally seen a copy. :wishluck:

I wonder what other discrepancies there are, in what we think in terms of Pence copies.

Maybe Neil will post his complete list of Pence copies and we should try for photo evidence of each one to see what exists and what doesn't and hopefully find a few that are not even on the list.

As we post an issue it could be crossed off the list.

What do you think Neil :baiting:

I actually talk to Duncan Mcalpine from time to time and the next time I communicate with him, I will ask the question as to where he got the info for his guide and has he ever personally seen a copy. :wishluck:

That would be swell. Many thanks for the helpful gestures, you and Neil are a great help here, and not just on pence matters! Thanks again.

Yes that's the one, he was having fun testing me. I knew something had been done at the price and somewhere else I think, but had no idea it was pence. He pointed out the UK blurb they put on the lower margin. might be longer, was most probably 2002 at a guess now I'm really thinking about it.

Did the guide actually say there was a pence Conan 1, or does it just not list it has ND? As I think I have seen it with a pence stamp before now. I think there are some comics which are ND not listed as such in Duncans old book?

Isn't there a big difference between books with a pence stamp and books that are manufactured with pence as the denom for purchase?

Yes, but I think if a cents copy has a pence stamp, then it's classed as distributed over here, whether there's a pence alternative or not. If a comic is ND, then there should be no pence stamp copies of the particular issue.

herc ;-)

Yes, but I think if a cents copy has a pence stamp, then it's classed as distributed over here, whether there's a pence alternative or not. If a comic is ND, then there should be no pence stamp copies of the particular issue.

herc ;-)

Well, that is interesting, because I am almost certain I have seen a Conan 1 with a pence stamp. lol This thread may be planting suggestions in my head.

I thought the whole discussion was about "pre-printed' pence copies.

herc ;-)

Well, that is interesting, because I am almost certain I have seen a Conan 1 with a pence stamp. lol This thread may be planting suggestions in my head.

I thought the whole discussion was about "pre-printed' pence copies.

Just checked the guide, it states Pence copies with limited distribution.

I have emailed Duncan for some clarification as to whether he actually has seen one or how he came about this information.

I am almost certain that I had a Conan 1 that had a pence stamp on it, but it was a 15 cent American copy that someone handstamped. Not sure if it was done for the newstand or by a second hand store.

That is not what this thread is about, is it/

I am almost certain that I had a Conan 1 that had a pence stamp on it, but it was a 15 cent American copy that someone handstamped. Not sure if it was done for the newstand or by a second hand store.

That is not what this thread is about, is it/

No, not stamped, it needs to be a printed pence copy, a stamp just wont do it.

Your right shadroch, I was just wondering if someone thought because the old guide did not say ND, thought there was a pence because of this. But he just confirmed the guide said there is short supply of pence copies, would love to see one.