• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conan Barbarian # 1 Pence Variant: Rarity is an understatement

188 posts in this topic

Here is a quote from the current electronic guide, with all credit to Duncan.

"Conan #1 was LD scarce in the UK at the time. UK pence copies were distributed in the UK but very patchily.

The UK copy has a 5p cover stamp"

Just rereading now "5p cover stamp" hm

I think that both "pence copies & cover stamp " are here in contradiction of each other ??????

Not sure if that means an actual stamp or the printed stamp itself.

I await Duncans response.

"Conan #1 was LD scarce in the UK at the time. UK pence copies were distributed in the UK but very patchily.

I think that both "pence copies & cover stamp " are here in contradiction of each other ??????

Which means that there were never any pre-printed 'pence copy' Conan #1s. (thumbs u

There are going to be a few distributed through T&P, showing the T&P '5p' stamp on the cover, but there aren't any that came off the presses with the UK price.

The important piece of information here is that the other books that were published for October 1970 with the UK price plate on the presses used pre-decimal prices and showed a shilling symbol - 1/- , so we know Duncan was referring to a T&P ink stamp when he talks about a '5p cover stamp'.

This was during the time when we were leading up to decimalisation, so certain products began showing the decimal price. (thumbs u

I am going to post a list of copies between 1959 and about 1981 of copies of which there are non known pence copies to see if we sniff any out (thumbs u

Start it in a new thread Neil, then you can update the list as and when we prove the existence of each copy.

As far as I (and I'm sure most people) am concerned, a pence copy is printed with it's pence price. The others are cents copies with pence price stamps, completely different things as FT said.

This could explain some of the confusion I guess.

I am going to post a list of copies between 1959 and about 1981 of copies of which there are non known pence copies to see if we sniff any out (thumbs u

Start it in a new thread Neil, then you can update the list as and when we prove the existence of each copy.

Sounds like an excellent idea. (thumbs u

I have just searched through my collection looking for an cents issue with a price stamp.

I found this ( I know it needs its bag changed )

SilverSurfer4.jpg

In the price guide, there are 2 scans showing a US edition and a UK edition.

This is listed as a UK edition.

I think that totally nails it down, the pence copies in the guide are stamped pence copies as in the back of the Surfers board. :cry:

I have just searched through my collection looking for an cents issue with a price stamp.

SilverSurfer4.jpg

I think that totally nails it down, the pence copies in the guide are stamped pence copies as in the back of the Surfers board. :cry:

I can't believe he listed these as UK editions. :facepalm:

Ah well, at least the confusion is sorted. good work, Kev. (thumbs u

SilverSurfer4.jpg

I can't believe he listed these as UK editions. :facepalm:

Ah well, at least the confusion is sorted. good work, Kev. (thumbs u

:applause:

If pence stamps are to be classed as pence copies maybe there is a Conan #1 out there with a pence stamp on it? (shrug)

McAlpines guide lists the book as LD as in limited distribution over here

It's entirely possible that there are pence stamped Conan # 1's out there. I've never really encountered anyone with an interest in them though, I consider them in the same category as cents copies with date stamps or store stamps though I know there are a few people who do like date stamped comics.