• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Horrible News

59 posts in this topic

Sounds like the person had Asbergers

Asbergers doesn't cause people to do something like this.

:((shrug)

Not directly, but helps to influence behavior. Sensory overload comes to mind with my personal experience with my son. I'm not giving the guy a pass, just saying there are additional circumstances. We need in general better ways of identifying the warning signs and making sure professionals get to the affected persons sooner rather than later.

As a parent, a teacher, and a person this is just tragic.

As a country we need to change gun culture.

Personally, I think school need to step up and do something. It is scary to think people can walk onto a school at any time. I go to a school with an open campus as we have trailers and classrooms outside the main building. School should have on entrance with metal detectors that is open during the day. That is the reality.

This was awful.

I want to know how many of these shooters were into first person shooter video games. Obviously not everyone that plays fps games is going to eventually go on a spree but some people are influenced by external stimuli different than others.

People with mental illness and deficiencies would seem at a higher risk to be impacted negatively after logging thousands of hours playing games where the objective is to shoot people in real world settings and environments.

Goes without saying just how sickening this whole thing is...I've gone from angry to sad so many times over the last day.

Personally, I think school need to step up and do something. It is scary to think people can walk onto a school at any time. I go to a school with an open campus as we have trailers and classrooms outside the main building. School should have on entrance with metal detectors that is open during the day. That is the reality.

This was awful.

The murderer shot out the door window and entered the school forcibly, circumventing the schools security protocol.

I want to know how many of these shooters were into first person shooter video games. Obviously not everyone that plays fps games is going to eventually go on a spree but some people are influenced by external stimuli different than others.

People with mental illness and deficiencies would seem at a higher risk to be impacted negatively after logging thousands of hours playing games where the objective is to shoot people in real world settings and environments.

Goes without saying just how sickening this whole thing is...I've gone from angry to sad so many times over the last day.

i agree with you on the fps games,but hear nothing of a solution

Obviously not banning the games so much as educating parents that these types of games may have an adverse impact on people with personality disorders and other mental illnesses.

Personally I prefer games where you jump on mushrooms and collect gold coins.

Obviously not banning the games so much as educating parents that these types of games may have an adverse impact on people with personality disorders and other mental illnesses.

i am a baseball and football type

I prefer to jump on some mushrooms, then plays ten straight hours of FPSes. lol

The MURDERER of the children got the gun from his educated mother who was a school teacher. The educated school teacher was the parent who allowed her adult son to have access to the weapons that caused the massacre.

Videogames had nothing to do with it!

Next they will be telling us Rock n roll and comic books cause violent behaivor. (shrug)

The MURDERER of the children got the gun from his educated mother who was a school teacher. The educated school teacher was the parent who allowed her adult son to have access to the weapons that caused the massacre.

Video games had nothing to do with it!

Next they will be telling us Rock n roll and comic books cause violent behavior. (shrug)

Indeed.

Videogames had nothing to do with it!

Next they will be telling us Rock n roll and comic books cause violent behaivor. (shrug)

img_18647_chris-rock-whatever-happened-to-crazy.jpg

what happened to crazy?

This was awful.

The murderer shot out the door window and entered the school forcibly, circumventing the schools security protocol.

I hadn't heard that.

Why don't all school have police officers on campus though? My high school has 2 at all times. Clearly elementary schools aren't exempt of gun violence.

We need to make a real effort to keep our schools safe. Earlier this year there was a shooting in a high school right down the road from me. It is becoming an issue and we need to be proactive in our schools.

Why don't all school have police officers on campus though?

This is a good point. With so many case histories of shooting at schools, a constant police presence would make sense.

Just got done playing Black Ops. No urge to hurt anyone, but would like dinner soon.

Just got done playing Black Ops. No urge to hurt anyone, but would like dinner soon.

I'll get on that. Steaks in 40 minutes...

Anyone logging thousands of hours in front of a video game (FPS or Hello Kitty Playland) are probably more likely to have emotional and mental problems. That probably applies to people who log similar amounts of time on message boards as well.

However people trying to escape from the reality of their lives and obsess over these types of anonymous and consequence free activities don't automatically become mass murderers. It is a terrible and tragic event when it happens but it is such an infrequent occurrence I don't think profiling a huge demographic of the country is the right way to go about trying to prevent it.