• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'generic' golden age vs. 'key' silver and bronze...Help!

29 posts in this topic

Hello fellow collectors,

I currently do not collect 'golden' age comic books, but I am looking to start. This however, brings with it several problems that I have to face and I am hoping this forum could help offer me some advice in this regard.

Number one, I prefer high grade comics graded 9.2 and above with no restoration; CGC graded ONLY. I also prefer a page quality of off-white or better.

Number two, I currently implement a max amount paid per book at $2,000; HOWEVER, due to how much more I will probably have to spend to acquire high grade 'golden' age books, I understand I have to realistically go a little higher (if not a lot more).

That being said, here is the issue I am having: Unless I stick to various EC horror comic books (which I do like and will eventually possibly collect), is it even worth buying 'generic' golden age comic books when for the same money you can probably get a 'silver' or 'bronze' age key in much better condition? I am really struggling with this issue. I would like to collect 'golden' age books, but I don't think there are any relative semi-key books in 9.2 (or above) for $2,000-$3,000; are there? Even at $4,000; I would assume my pickings are slim for books in 9.0 or above that are semi-keys, correct?

Can anyone offer any thoughts and advice? Is it worth it to enter this market with such unrealistic expectations? Are EC Comic books even still a 'good' investment in high grade? What about DC or other classics? Are semi-key issues still affordbale?

I thank you in advance for any help and hope you can steer me in the right direction. While I know the 'silver' age (and later) markets fairly well, I never really had a need to study the 'golden' age market until now.

Thank you again for any help.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

You might want to try pre-code horror or crime. You won't get any classic covers in the grades you're talking about, but there is a lot of other HG stuff you can get at 2-3k a pop.

You can pretty much forget about superhero keys if you're insistent on high grade. You might want to seriously rethink your flexibility with regard to grade, page quality, etc. An early Action or Tec in low grade is far more desirable (to most collectors) than a random issue of Sparkler in nosebleed HG. (Don't get me wrong; I like Sparkler.) So I'd suggest that your purchasing priorities might need a significant readjustment if you want to dive into the market.

ECs hold their value, but they tend not to escalate much. There are significant exceptions, like Crime Suspenstories 22.

Are GA comics a good investment? Well, I don't know. I don't really think comics are a good investment in general. If you're asking if you can successfully flip GA comics, then possibly yes. But you would need to up your spending and focus on the most desirable books of the hobby in order to go that route (early Batman and Supes, Timelys, classic covers, etc--and, of course, you absolutely will not get those books in high grade).

If your approaching this from "entering the market" then you sound more like an investor. The world of SA is different from GA as your aware, but particularly consider that rare books like Action 7 or Batman 1 are loved even coverless. High grade GA in general are rare, so yeah youd need to lower your standards, even if you up the max per book to 5-8k. I saw an AllStar 8 sell for $800 and it was coverless and incomplete - missing wonderwoman story (defeats the purpose ehh?). Some books are so tough to find or $$$ they can have investment potential in any grade. That is the mentality of many GA collectors. If your wanting to invest or own books that would at least hold value w low risk, then send Gator your money and let him pick something nice. : )

There are many high grade affordable semi-keys, such as Star Spangled Comics #69, Origin & 1st appearance of Tomahawk. A 9.0 is probably worth $1200 or so. Star Spangled Comics #65 is also an affordable semi-key. A 9.4 sold for just over $2000 not too long ago. If you want a "better" key, like All American Comics #61, you will have to lower your grade... or raise your price per book amount. There are a lot of keys and #1's that are affordable that are not DC or Timely. For example, look into Fawcett titles.

If you want "generic" issues, pick ones that are not so generic, such as Joker covers, Penguin covers, classic covers, etc. They are not expensive key issues, but not ordinary generic GA either.

Most High grade GA titles that are readily available are the ones no one else is really interested in. It you want a 9.2 Captain Midnight, it can be done for less than $2k, sometimes for just a few hundred $. If you want a 9.2 Captain America, it ain't gonna happen.

From my view, the only time the non-key HG books appreciate in value is when someone is eager to collect them. It seems like over night, prices will jump. But when you go to sell, you will almost never get what you paid.

Most GA titles have shown a steady decline in value since 2002. EC Gaines File Copies have lost significant value in the last 10 years. Some issues have lost as much as 50% in value.

If you are getting into GA for investment and can't afford the mega-keys, I think you are going to be disappointed.

I'd recommend lowering your threshold grade a bit. I've been picking up some really nice Golden Age in 8.0 or 8.5 with nice pages in the $1000-$1500 range. I'm having a lot of fun with it, and the books are beautiful.

action86.jpg

bat40.jpg

detective137.jpg

superman21.jpg

detective149.jpg

Most High grade GA titles that are readily available are the ones no one else is really interested in. It you want a 9.2 Captain Midnight, it can be done for less than $2k, sometimes for just a few hundred $. If you want a 9.2 Captain America, it ain't gonna happen.

From my view, the only time the non-key HG books appreciate in value is when someone is eager to collect them. It seems like over night, prices will jump. But when you go to sell, you will almost never get what you paid.

Most GA titles have shown a steady decline in value since 2002. EC Gaines File Copies have lost significant value in the last 10 years. Some issues have lost as much as 50% in value.

If you are getting into GA for investment and can't afford the mega-keys, I think you are going to be disappointed.

I couldn't have said it better.

I'd recommend lowering your threshold grade a bit. I've been picking up some really nice Golden Age in 8.0 or 8.5 with nice pages in the $1000-$1500 range. I'm having a lot of fun with it, and the books are beautiful.

Bang on. A GA 8.0ish book is beautiful and generally just as rare as a 9.2 SA Marvel.

Bang on. A GA 8.0ish book is beautiful and generally just as rare as a 9.2 SA Marvel.

There are so many titles and issues where you have Edgar's copy as a 9.2+ and the next best is a 5.0. There are plenty of times when an 8.0 is a awesome find.

If you limit your minimum grade to 9.2 with a cap of 2-3K per book, then you're likely to let grade dictate more of what you can end up buying that what you might actually be interested in, though if you enjoy some of the non-superhero Atom Age genres, you might have better luck, especially if you concentrate on cool and classic covers.

Even in the horror genre there are some really great books that could probably be had for under 2K in 9.2 if you can find them, many with covers every bit as striking as the more sought after "classics".

action86.jpg

:cloud9: Great Book/Cover! Grats.

Hello fellow collectors,

I currently do not collect 'golden' age comic books, but I am looking to start. This however, brings with it several problems that I have to face and I am hoping this forum could help offer me some advice in this regard.

Number one, I prefer high grade comics graded 9.2 and above with no restoration; CGC graded ONLY. I also prefer a page quality of off-white or better.

Number two, I currently implement a max amount paid per book at $2,000; HOWEVER, due to how much more I will probably have to spend to acquire high grade 'golden' age books, I understand I have to realistically go a little higher (if not a lot more).

That being said, here is the issue I am having: Unless I stick to various EC horror comic books (which I do like and will eventually possibly collect), is it even worth buying 'generic' golden age comic books when for the same money you can probably get a 'silver' or 'bronze' age key in much better condition? I am really struggling with this issue. I would like to collect 'golden' age books, but I don't think there are any relative semi-key books in 9.2 (or above) for $2,000-$3,000; are there? Even at $4,000; I would assume my pickings are slim for books in 9.0 or above that are semi-keys, correct?

Can anyone offer any thoughts and advice? Is it worth it to enter this market with such unrealistic expectations? Are EC Comic books even still a 'good' investment in high grade? What about DC or other classics? Are semi-key issues still affordbale?

I thank you in advance for any help and hope you can steer me in the right direction. While I know the 'silver' age (and later) markets fairly well, I never really had a need to study the 'golden' age market until now.

Thank you again for any help.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

[font:Times New Roman]As a collector your choices should always reflect what you like, but if GA already appeals to you and investment is your primary focus, then GA may end up being more attractive than SA or BA given supply/demand considerations. There will certainly be more competition for high grade GA books (just compare census numbers for any given title, GA vs SA or BA), but there's also a lot more to choose from.

BTW, when I think of generics, it's mostly modern comics, rarely GA.

For discriminating collectors there are plenty of interesting choices in pre-Code comics (many publishers to choose from and lots of killer art). PQ may be an issue (there's a lot more COW than OW/W or W in early GA), but there are plenty of choice books with nice PQ popping up at any given time.

I don't think your expectations are unrealistic at all. A few years ago I probably wouldn't have recommended EC because the census tends to be top heavy with Gaines File Copies and there are far too many reprints flooding the market. However, EC prices have stabilized and appear to be strong for long term collecting/investment. After all, EC was the pinnacle of achievement in pre-Code art and story content. That said, crime and horror from other publishers is hot right now as well.

Earlier GA is purely a matter of taste and preference, but there's plenty to choose from.

The GA is a smorgasbord of delightful colors and flavors with each publisher having something worthy of recommendation. Good-girl art? Go with Fox (Phantom Lady, Zoot & All Top). WWII super heroes? Go with Timely or Nedor/Standard (Schomburg covers and a wild array of dynamic characters). Teen humor? Go with MLJ/Archie. Art emphasis? Go with Quality. Story emphasis? Go with DC or Lev Gleason. This just scratches the surface, the choices are endless.[/font]

I thank you all for your help and advice!

Can anyone recommend a sampling of books in 9.0-9.2 or up under say, $2500 each; that would be considered semi-key or heaven forbid, key issues? I understand that this would not include too many major keys, but what are some good long term buys in this regard?

Any help is appreciated. I thank you again.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Can anyone recommend a sampling of books in 9.0-9.2 or up under say, $2500 each; that would be considered semi-key or heaven forbid, key issues? I understand that this would not include too many major keys, but what are some good long term buys in this regard?

Kind Regards,

'mint'

TarzanSingleSeries20.jpg

4314920785_07e9dbc492_o.jpg

Two key characters who have long been dormant.

I am not saying these will be million dollar comics like Detective 27 or Action 1,but I could see them going up in value if both character get new movie reboots.

:wishluck:

Golden age comics are vastly different then silver or bronze age,as most times there are no 9.0 or 9.2s to pick from.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

TarzanSingleSeries20.jpg

4314920785_07e9dbc492_o.jpg

Two key characters who have long been dormant.

I am not saying these will be million dollar comics like Detective 27 or Action 1,but I could see them going up in value if both character get new movie reboots.

:wishluck:

Golden age comics are vastly different then silver or bronze age,as most times there are no 9.0 or 9.2s to pick from.

Great recommendation (thumbs u , now try and find them in 9.0 or even 7.0 :popcorn: here in lies the joy of GA - the HUNT

I wouldn't consider them keys, but I really like the Schomburg Good Girl covers, which you can find in Exciting Comics, Startling Comics, Thrilling Comics, and Wonder Comics. Many of those can be bought in the 1k to 2k range for 9.0 or above. From an investment perspective Schomburg is a big name so there will likely be continued interest.

Good luck!

This is an interesting thread topic as I have almost the exact opposite parameters of the OP.

I am looking at getting into some GA books primarily for the "fun" of it and not the investment part...But I sill want "pretty" or complete copies.

I have just started to do some research and looking and it is the covers and sense of history that are drawing me in. There are just so many great covers! I'm finding I am particularly drawn towards some of the sci-fi covers, followed by the horror stuff and of course, super heroes.

Any recommendations for cool but affordable stuff? They does not have to be super popular titles either...THANKS!!!

This is an interesting thread topic as I have almost the exact opposite parameters of the OP.

I am looking at getting into some GA books primarily for the "fun" of it and not the investment part...But I sill want "pretty" or complete copies.

I have just started to do some research and looking and it is the covers and sense of history that are drawing me in. There are just so many great covers! I'm finding I am particularly drawn towards some of the sci-fi covers, followed by the horror stuff and of course, super heroes.

Any recommendations for cool but affordable stuff? They does not have to be super popular titles either...THANKS!!!

Of course ECs have great covers and stories. Planet comics also come to mind. Both are easy on the budget and would be easy to trade/sell if you decide you want to sell them later. Buy a few and see what you like.

Fiction House show up in HG, probably because of high print runs. And they tend to go for Guide. Planet, Jungle, Jumbo, Rangers, Wings all have great GGA covers and you might want to pick up cheap reading copies because they're fun to read. Especially if they have Baker interiors.

My avatar is from Crime Reporter #2 by Baker (not FH). I watched a savvy collector picked up the lone 9.2 copy in Chicago this summer. It was in your price range. It can be done.

Of course ECs have great covers and stories. Planet comics also come to mind. Both are easy on the budget and would be easy to trade/sell if you decide you want to sell them later. Buy a few and see what you like.

I came across some Planet Comics covers and like a lot of them, made me want to actually read the stories.

Eyeing a few various GA books from various publishers, all mid-grades on eBay...I just worry about the whole buying really old books off of eBay thing as I know what to expect with SA and up books, but nothing about GA books...