• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

Everyone remembers DC Super-Stars #11 is an all-reprint issue, right?  But it does reprint some nice Gray Morrow artwork, and the fishnet stockings cover is certainly a plus.  :takeit:

7 hours ago, Zonker said:

Everyone remembers DC Super-Stars #11 is an all-reprint issue, right?  But it does reprint some nice Gray Morrow artwork, and the fishnet stockings cover is certainly a plus.  :takeit:

Who opens them anymore anyway, it's all about the cover.  B|

On 2/4/2017 at 0:52 PM, Bronx said:

That whole Warlock Strange Tales run has taken off in the last few years. ST 178, 179, 180 & 181 are getting harder to find in NM in bargains. You have to pay for the high grades.

It all started with 180 and GOTG Gamora but each of them has something cool going on.

178 - The Magus

179- Pip

180- Gamora

181 - Well almost all of them...

If and when Warlock is finally announced I would expect this to take off even higher and bring the Warlock 9-15 run along for the wild ride.

I only have a graded 178 in 9.0 from these listed

On 2/4/2017 at 0:52 PM, Bronx said:

That whole Warlock Strange Tales run has taken off in the last few years. ST 178, 179, 180 & 181 are getting harder to find in NM in bargains. You have to pay for the high grades.

It all started with 180 and GOTG Gamora but each of them has something cool going on.

178 - The Magus

179- Pip

180- Gamora

If and when Warlock is finally announced I would expect this to take off even higher and bring the Warlock 9-15 run along for the wild ride.

As was mentioned previously, I'm surprised that 181 hasn't garnered interest as Gamora's first full appearance. In 180 we get 4 or 5 panels in a dark bar room, showing her sitting at a bar from the waist up. No mention of her name, just that she might want to kill Warlock. It's a classic textbook cameo appearance, a lead in to the next issues storyline. In 181 we find out who she is , she's featured throughout the whole book, ending with her first meeting with Warlock. Someday, when people actually read the stories, 181 will pick up steam.

On 2/16/2017 at 7:26 PM, Zonker said:

I've always loved true reprint issues, myself. :cloud9:

MCIC1a.jpg

5 hours ago, boomtown said:

As was mentioned previously, I'm surprised that 181 hasn't garnered interest as Gamora's first full appearance. In 180 we get 4 or 5 panels in a dark bar room, showing her sitting at a bar from the waist up. No mention of her name, just that she might want to kill Warlock. It's a classic textbook cameo appearance, a lead in to the next issues storyline. In 181 we find out who she is , she's featured throughout the whole book, ending with her first meeting with Warlock. Someday, when people actually read the stories, 181 will pick up steam.

Been saying that for a few years. It's one of those "Official Handbook Of The Marvel Universe" things, like how Hulk #180 was listed as Wolverine's 1st appearance.  Gamora was such a minor character for over 30 years (and dead for half of those years), that nobody except for die hard Warlock fans such as myself bothered to notice that 181 was her 1st full appearance

3 hours ago, Lonzilla1 said:

Been saying that for a few years. It's one of those "Official Handbook Of The Marvel Universe" things, like how Hulk #180 was listed as Wolverine's 1st appearance.  Gamora was such a minor character for over 30 years (and dead for half of those years), that nobody except for die hard Warlock fans such as myself bothered to notice that 181 was her 1st full appearance

The market has spoken, can we just not start this again. please?

Edited by Chadwick

On February 14, 2017 at 6:06 PM, the blob said:

Prices all over on that #11..I feel bad for the guy who only got $1.85 (with free shipping!) on what may have been a decent copy (his picture is bad), but what looks to be $20+ for VF copies, definitely worth keeping an eye out for it in my boxes (I know I have a few, just don't know what condition)

I believe it's her first solo story too, though the cover alone is enough to heat it up.

On 2/4/2017 at 1:52 PM, Bronx said:

178 - The Magus

179- Pip

180- Gamora

I think all Jim Starlin stuff is vastly underrated. What makes him stand out from most other hot 70s artists is Jim Starlin actually wrote his stories. He was Frank Miller 5 years before Frank Miller! lol.  Starlin also created Drax and Thanos. Not to shabby for a resume..

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 2/19/2017 at 6:41 PM, Chadwick said:

The market has spoken, can we just not start this again. please?

"The market has spoken" meaning flippers who never read the book? Then I would have to agree with you

12 minutes ago, Chadwick said:

I even said please. :facepalm:

Sorry man. I have the same amount of copies of 180 and 181 so it's not like I'm pushing the 181, I just want accuracy. Starlin's Warlock was one of my favorite runs when I was a kid though I didn't get what was going on (I was 6 or 7), understood it more in high school, really appreciated it in my 20's and 30's, and now that I'm closing in on 50 it's still like nothing else from that era (Starlin's CM excepted, of course)

On 2/20/2017 at 7:59 PM, Lonzilla said:
On 2/20/2017 at 7:41 PM, Chadwick said:

I even said please. :facepalm:

Sorry man. I have the same amount of copies of 180 and 181 so it's not like I'm pushing the 181, I just want accuracy. Starlin's Warlock was one of my favorite runs when I was a kid though I didn't get what was going on (I was 6 or 7), understood it more in high school, really appreciated it in my 20's and 30's, and now that I'm closing in on 50 it's still like nothing else from that era (Starlin's CM excepted, of course)

The market sometimes changes based on new information. Why should we be satisified with ignorance pushing the market? I want accuracy as well.