• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2017 at 10:54 AM, Lonzilla said:

Anyone else think that Starlin had an Aryan fetish? All 3 of his most associated characters are blonde, and he made Mar-Vell from gray to blonde. Just a thought

Well, he didn't make the Master of Kung Fu blonde!

14 minutes ago, the blob said:

They're not shill accounts, they're fee dodging accounts.  If they were shill accounts they would be bidding on each others auctions.  Now, if he was hitting yuge BINS on one account to make the market value appear higher and then selling the same items on one of the other accounts, that would be shilly, but I don't see any evidence of that.  He asks top dollar and has the patience to hold out and sell one book a month from each of the accounts at the price he wants.

This site defines shill accounts differently than you do. Simply having more than 1 account will get one account suspended for creating a 'shill'.

So yes, they are 'shill' accounts,  Your limited definition notwithstanding.  

44 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

This site defines shill accounts differently than you do. Simply having more than 1 account will get one account suspended for creating a 'shill'.

Well, it's different here if you're pretending to be someone else.  His ebay accounts are not here.  I don't think CGC is off policing other venues.  Given that many people have an ebay buying account and an ebay selling account or use their spouse's account too (I did for a long time) so as not to mix up their bizness, this is hardly out of the ordinary.

Edited by the blob

18 minutes ago, the blob said:

.  Given that many people have an ebay buying account and an ebay selling account or use their spouse's account too (I did for a long time) so as not to mix up their bizness, this is hardly out of the ordinary.

Now I am confused. You posted this some time ago:

kicked off of eBay

Now you are back?

I hope this means you actually understand the rules or did you create  a "shill" ?

1 hour ago, JTLarsen said:

Well, it's a lot easier to write space stuff that doesn't date than earthbound stuff that doesn't date. And I believe Neal actually did a fair amount of credited writing back in the day. Deadman, I think, for one.

Also Jim Starlin did Dreadstar in the 1980s as well as the Death of Robin and Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel.

In the 1990s Jim Starlin did Infinty War and wrote Silver Surfer,while really Neal Adams hasn't done anything in comics of real significance since his Ali vs. Superman book in 1977.

So overall when we compare their careers Jim Starlin is a big player between 1974 to 1994,while Adams was a big player 1967 to about 1977. 

In the long run Jim Starlin was the real deal. Not to mention Jim Starlin wrote his own stuff and Adams didn't. Kind of like comparing Elvis to the Beatles where the Beatles wrote the majority of all their songs and Elvis didn't. I think Adams gets the fame because he did Batman and had those beautiful covers,while Starlin got Warlock that not many people heard of.

To clarify I enjoy Neal Adams art, but Jim Starlin stayed relevant longer,created the biggest baddest villian in the Marvel Universe in Thanos,plus he actually wrote his own stories. :preach:

1 hour ago, NP_Gresham said:

Now I am confused. You posted this some time ago:

kicked off of eBay

Now you are back?

I hope this means you actually understand the rules or did you create  a "shill" ?

One guy complained about 4 shipments or something like that being slow and they limited my wife's account to just a buying account.  We both used the account to sell stuff (a bizarre mish mosh of comics, cosmetic samples, and jewelry in its prime), but it was at a point where we were hardly selling anything on ebay, so 4 "zeros" killed that rating and I couldn't get it back over 4 in time.  I sell on my account, which I have had since the 90s, which had previously been my buying account.  Last I looked we are two separate human beings with separate paypal and bank accounts.

6 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Also Jim Starlin did Dreadstar in the 1980s as well as the Death of Robin and Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel.

In the 1990s Jim Starlin did Infinty War and wrote Silver Surfer,while really Neal Adams hasn't done anything in comics of real significance since his Ali vs. Superman book in 1977.

So overall when we compare their careers Jim Starlin is a big player between 1974 to 1994,while Adams was a big player 1967 to about 1977. 

In the long run Jim Starlin was the real deal. Not to mention Jim Starlin wrote his own stuff and Adams didn't. Kind of like comparing Elvis to the Beatles where the Beatles wrote the majority of all their songs and Elvis didn't. I think Adams gets the fame because he did Batman and had those beautiful covers,while Starlin got Warlock that not many people heard of.

To clarify I enjoy Neal Adams art, but Jim Starlin stayed relevant longer,created the biggest baddest villian in the Marvel Universe in Thanos,plus he actually wrote his own stories. :preach:

Adams did try to write his own stories, at Continuity, Batman Odyssey, etc., but compared to Starlin he's terrible at it.

7 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

All certainly within the rules. Some just know how to follow the rules and others don't.  I follow the rules for a living.  :preach:

9 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:
15 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Adams did try to write his own stories, at Continuity, Batman Odyssey, etc., but compared to Starlin he's terrible at it.

I remember the ongoing joke was how long it was taking Ms Mystic 2 to come out. lol

16 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Fair enough argument, I just disagree. And I'm a big fan of Starlin-art-wise, certainly. But (a) Adams did do some of his own writing and, more importantly (b), Adams shot to artistic prominence NOT on the back of Batman. In retrospect it may seem that way because those books have absolutely taken off, but back in the '70s and '80s, Batman was by no means the sole driver of Adams' popularity and esteem. And while Starlin may have written his own stories and created the whateverest villain in Marvel, Neal Adams changed comic books, both artistically and professionally.

7 minutes ago, JTLarsen said:

Fair enough argument, I just disagree. And I'm a big fan of Starlin-art-wise, certainly. But (a) Adams did do some of his own writing and, more importantly (b), Adams shot to artistic prominence NOT on the back of Batman. In retrospect it may seem that way because those books have absolutely taken off, but back in the '70s and '80s, Batman was by no means the sole driver of Adams' popularity and esteem. And while Starlin may have written his own stories and created the whateverest villain in Marvel, Neal Adams changed comic books, both artistically and professionally.

My problem is I just read the Thomas/Adams X-Men, and it really didn't do it for me. It was alright,while I re-read the Starlin Warlock run a year ago, and that totally blew me away. I am also reading Dreadstar now, and it is very good.

I put Starlin more at the Frank Miller level(writes,plots and draws timeless classics),while I see Neal Adams more like a Steranko(good dominating artist on their respective era). What is surprising to me is how long Jim Starlin` comics have been under the radar compared to Neal Adams Batman comics. Wait until that Avenger Infinity War movie comes out because that is when Starlin gets discovered big time.

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

My problem is I just read the Thomas/Adams X-Men, and it really didn't do it for me. It was alright,while I re-read the Starlin Warlock run a year ago, and that totally blew me away. I am also reading Dreadstar now, and it is very good.

I put Starlin more at the Frank Miller level(writes,plots and draws timeless classics),while I see Neal Adams more like a Steranko(good dominating artist on their respective era). What is surprising to me is how long Jim Starlin` comics have been under the radar compared to Neal Adams Batman comics. Wait until that Avenger Infinity War movie comes out because that is when Starlin gets discovered big time.

I think the problem is that Adams was more Silver Age to me. If you compare Adams cover work or Deadman stuff to what was going on at the time there just wasn't any comparison. Adams changed the industry with his art style and as previously mentioned he really modernized the industry. The comic industry had never really evolved past it's 1940s inception , when Adams went to DC in the 1960's he was introducing new techniques to DC's color & production department that commercial art had been using for years.

Starlin arrived after the emergence of the late 60s early 1970's explosion. Barry Smith, Berni Wrightson, Howard Chaykin, Mike Ploog, Frank Brunner, etc. had pushed the envelope on comic book storytelling and Starlin hopped right in. His Captain Marvel and Warlock were amazing storylines, but by the time he arrived creators were being given much more freedom to experiment than in the 1960's. Sure, Starlin was a much better writer and storyteller than Adams, but Adams was such a huge influence on artists at that time.

3 hours ago, boomtown said:

I think the problem is that Adams was more Silver Age to me. If you compare Adams cover work or Deadman stuff to what was going on at the time there just wasn't any comparison. Adams changed the industry with his art style and as previously mentioned he really modernized the industry. The comic industry had never really evolved past it's 1940s inception , when Adams went to DC in the 1960's he was introducing new techniques to DC's color & production department that commercial art had been using for years.

Starlin arrived after the emergence of the late 60s early 1970's explosion. Barry Smith, Berni Wrightson, Howard Chaykin, Mike Ploog, Frank Brunner, etc. had pushed the envelope on comic book storytelling and Starlin hopped right in. His Captain Marvel and Warlock were amazing storylines, but by the time he arrived creators were being given much more freedom to experiment than in the 1960's. Sure, Starlin was a much better writer and storyteller than Adams, but Adams was such a huge influence on artists at that time.

I think they are both insanely talented creators, in the HOF for sure. And it can argue'd about who did what for the industry and who did whatelse, but at the end of the day I gotta go back to the art and these 2 things, for me:

1) Who did the most iconic covers

2) Who did the most epic story arcs

They each have great examples in both 2c 

I collect both so I'll all good. :busy:

5 hours ago, namisgr said:

Is something being planned for Ego-Prime?  I believe this is the official first appearance:

Thor201cgc-1-1.jpg

I think it might be buzz about Guardians of the Galaxy 2

7 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

I think it might be buzz about Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Star-Lord's supposed to be related to him.

On 3/1/2017 at 10:07 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

I agree that Starlin has a much better track record as a writer than Neal Adams does. I don't, however, think Infinity War is going to make Starlin big the way you're suggesting. I'm having trouble thinking of any movie that elevated a comic book creator that way. I also disagree, though, that Starlin has been under the radar. I've been a Starlin collector on and off for decades. Iron Man 55 was on my "if I get a chance" list to pick up for years--for Starlin, rather than for Thanos.