• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

Good find, looks like a bidding war/battle of ego behind that one, guy even used a stock photo. Or perhaps they've bought vf/nm from him before that arrived 9.6? I know he's a v.good seller, just don't recall that he's a big undergrader (he might be).

Two very low feedback bidders bidding up a non-key, not in demand book sounds a little fishy to me. Not sure what the angle is but it ain't a good one. Book is worth about $5 and can be had for less.

Looks pretty sketchy to me . . . :P

Also seller states they have the book in high quantity (along with hundreds of other dealers) so why on earth would you bid it up?

I'm not a dealer, and I had like at least five copies of this book BY ACCIDENT like 10 years ago. I've given them away since....

That was a book that was so unwanted i passed on dozens of nice copies in dollar boxes of the years....

Good find, looks like a bidding war/battle of ego behind that one, guy even used a stock photo. Or perhaps they've bought vf/nm from him before that arrived 9.6? I know he's a v.good seller, just don't recall that he's a big undergrader (he might be).

Two very low feedback bidders bidding up a non-key, not in demand book sounds a little fishy to me. Not sure what the angle is but it ain't a good one. Book is worth about $5 and can be had for less.

Also seller states they have the book in high quantity (along with hundreds of other dealers) so why on earth would you bid it up?

I'm not a dealer, and I had like at least five copies of this book BY ACCIDENT like 10 years ago. I've given them away since....

That was a book that was so unwanted i passed on dozens of nice copies in dollar boxes of the years....

Passed on a copy in a dollar sale this past weekend.

It still is. :screwy:

It still is. :screwy:

It's a $39 book!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Spotlight-1-VF-NM-9-0-Captain-Marvel-1979-No-Reserve-/132065172557?hash=item1ebfb29c4d:g:OdEAAOSwjDZYesAT

But seriously, prices are all over. I don't see a problem with calling it a solid $5 book in nice shape.

Is there any difference in valuation between the regular edition of the book with the issue number and the so-called variant edition of the book without the issue number on the cover? ???

I imagine both versions would probably be as common as dirt. (shrug)

Graded 9.4 is around $20, 9.6 around $30, "variant/error" 9.4 is around $40 so double the regular.

If you see a decent copy in a dollar bin, it'll get you probably around $5-10 raw.

That $39 is just nuts.

What about Strange Tales 180, will it start to rise?

Hasn't this one already risen quite a bit over the past few years? hm

Especially considering how many there are of this particular issue out there already, and with most of them all in high grade to boot. (shrug)

What about Strange Tales 180, will it start to rise?

Hasn't this one already risen quite a bit over the past few years? hm

Especially considering how many there are of this particular issue out there already, and with most of them all in high grade to boot. (shrug)

36 9.8's (shrug)

Still gets a good price for a cameo too...

That is not a lot. And the same logic is applied to hulk 181, ASM 129 etc yet those books and other Bronze Age books continue to climb

You can't compare Wolverine and the Punisher with...... erm! whats her name?

That is not a lot. And the same logic is applied to hulk 181, ASM 129 etc yet those books and other Bronze Age books continue to climb

You can't compare Wolverine... with...... erm! whats her name?

The only comparison that really comes to mind is that both of their key first appearances were in an issue 180.

You can't compare Wolverine... with...... erm! whats her name?

The only comparison that really comes to mind is that both of their key first appearances were in an issue 180.

he's quick . . .really quick. ;)

That whole Warlock Strange Tales run has taken off in the last few years. ST 178, 179, 180 & 181 are getting harder to find in NM in bargains. You have to pay for the high grades.

It all started with 180 and GOTG Gamora but each of them has something cool going on.

178 - The Magus

179- Pip

180- Gamora

181 - Well almost all of them...

If and when Warlock is finally announced I would expect this to take off even higher and bring the Warlock 9-15 run along for the wild ride.

That whole Warlock Strange Tales run has taken off in the last few years. ST 178, 179, 180 & 181 are getting harder to find in NM in bargains. You have to pay for the high grades.

It all started with 180 and GOTG Gamora but each of them has something cool going on.

178 - The Magus

179- Pip

180- Gamora cameo

181 - Well almost all of them... 1st Gamora

If and when Warlock is finally announced I would expect this to take off even higher and bring the Warlock 9-15 run along for the wild ride.

FTFY

178 - The Magus

179- Pip

180- Gamora cameo

181 - Well almost all of them... 1st Gamora

FTFY

lol! It's all debatable but I like all 4 in the series and it just gives me a reason to pick up another 181. You have to admit the covers on 178 & 180 are both pretty sweet.

I saw increased interest in the Warlock run this past year and believe I am out of all of my slabbed and raw copies in high grade. I snagged a few HG auction lots two years ago thinking they should spike with the Infinity War movies, but this past year I was totally cleaned out at full OSPG + for raw books. The few slabs I had were 9.4s and 9.6s, and they sold fast at full GPA. I might have moved them too soon, but I will take a 5X+ return on raw common books any day.

178 - The Magus

179- Pip

180- Gamora

181 - Well almost all of them...

If that should ever happen, I believe there would be a ton of HG copies of these common books popping out of the woodwork. Especially since Starlin was such a hot artist back then and all of his books were carefully collected and put away by the collectors of that time. hm

Heck, even I have duplicate HG copies of all of these books and multiples of a few of them. And that must say something about how common these books are since I was never really a fan of buying more than 1 copy of a particular book. (shrug)