• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

The Rock is a high profile actor now?

Shazam 28 is a neat book, but I don't feel there are many people losing sleep over not having a copy. And no matter what, at the end of the day it's a villain, and basically a Shazam centric villain, so once this movie comes and goes the demand won't sustain itself.

The Rock was the highest grossing actor last year, so yeah.

Not one to doubt Dwayne's achievements (OK, let's say I'm not for the sake of argument :grin: ), but he basically owes the "highest grossing actor" honor to Fast And Furious 6, which probably would've been hugely successful even if he wasn't in the movie.

Saying The Rock is the highest grossing actor of the year because he played in Fast And Furious 6 is (not exactly but kinda) like saying Jeff Goldblum was the highest grossing actor of 1993, or Sam Worthington the highest grossing actor of 2009.

Technically correct, but...

:o

How DARE you try to use reason around here!

(tsk)

Shazam 28 is a neat book, but I don't feel there are many people losing sleep over not having a copy. And no matter what, at the end of the day it's a villain, and basically a Shazam centric villain, so once this movie comes and goes the demand won't sustain itself.

Not one to doubt Dwayne's achievements (OK, let's say I'm not for the sake of argument :grin: ), but he basically owes the "highest grossing actor" honor to Fast And Furious 6, which probably would've been hugely successful even if he wasn't in the movie.

Saying The Rock is the highest grossing actor of the year because he played in Fast And Furious 6 is (not exactly but kinda) like saying Jeff Goldblum was the highest grossing actor of 1993, or Sam Worthington the highest grossing actor of 2009.

:o

How DARE you try to use reason around here!

(tsk)

but I think either way he qualifies as 'high profile'. YOur average movie going audience who would watch likely consider watching a comic movie knows who the Rock is. Whether he's a good actor (I think he's aight when he stays in his lane) or whether he can carry a movie on his own (he can't) don't diminish from that most people know the Rock

But what? Did they play a comic book character the next year?

I will defer to my earlier comment.

This has got to be the high water mark for speculative dumbassery in the hobby. I thought it couldn't get any worse than Foom 2 but here we are.

Oh come on have we forgot Squirrel girl yet. That was the high water mark :)

I'm having a hard time figuring out the original comment. A high profile actor is playing a comic character. If you don't understand why people are clamoring for the book I'm afraid the comic industry and it's current buyers have passed you by.

I thought RDJ was the highest paid actor last year...

Peace,

Chip

I think 'highest grossing' typically means their movies made the most money, not that they themselves personally made the most money.

in 2013 somehow GI JOE 2 made $371M worldwide, added to FF 6 $790M,

Pain and Gain $81M, and Snitch $48M =$1.29B

which is a higher number than Iron Man 3.

Iron Man 3

Worldwide: $1,215,439,994

Peace,

Chip

I think 'highest grossing' typically means their movies made the most money, not that they themselves personally made the most money.

Iron Man 3

and the amount of the $790MM that FF 6 did that can be attributed to the Rock is about 87 cents.

The original question was is the Rock a high profile actor. I would say if his movies put the most butts in the seats in 2013 then he is a high profile actor, regardless of whether the people went there specifically to see him or not. And yes while that fact is a bit misleading since the FF movies have become ensemble casts, the two movies in which The Rock joined the series significantly outperformed the previous four installments and turned the series around.

Peace,

Chip

Iron Man 3

and the amount of the $790MM that FF 6 did that can be attributed to the Rock is about 87 cents.

True, so it pays differently then right? Like when those bench players get a championship ring and a salary bonus. :baiting:

Edited by ygogolak