• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

So will Shazam 1 see an increase in value soon? Currently its doing well, but its not soaring yet like Shazam 28.

The Rock hasn't committed to who he is playing yet from what I have read.

Shazam #1

Is doing quite well. :grin:

Glad I was tossing 9.0-9.2 copies of these into my ebay grab bags in 2012 ans 2013 for 1/3 guide.

I am glad I snagged this lot a couple of months back from Heritage. #1 is only a VF, but #25 and #28 are beautiful copies. Too bad the 100 pagers are not worth slabbing due to low values - there are some nice potential 9.4+ copies in the mix.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?id=1017698

Edited by kimik

$175MM WW box office on $100MM production budget is a failure.

It wasn't a failure, it will turn a profit.

Looks like it already did by those numbers.

yeah, if the movie theaters didn't take their 50%+ cut of the box office and the studio spent negative $ on prints and ads. this movie would have to have done $300MM WW to break even.

The theater's cut changes the longer a movie remains open. Most of the initial money goes to the studio, which is one of the reasons stuff is so expensive at the concession stands

yeah, if the movie theaters didn't take their 50%+ cut of the box office and the studio spent negative $ on prints and ads. this movie would have to have done $300MM WW to break even.

The theater's cut changes the longer a movie remains open. Most of the initial money goes to the studio, which is one of the reasons stuff is so expensive at the concession stands

But after a bunch of theater chains declared bankruptcy in the early 2000s, these frontloaded deals started to fall out of fashion, says Doug Stone with BoxOfficeAnalyst.com.

You can actually look at the securities filings for the big theater chains, to look at how much of their ticket revenues go back to the studios, points out Stone. So for example, the latest quarterly filing by Cinemark Holdings, shows that 54.5 percent of its ticket revenues went to the distributors. So as a ballpark figure, studios generally take in around 50-55 percent of U.S. box office money.

According to the book The Hollywood Economist by Edward Jay Epstein, studios take in about 40 percent of the revenue from overseas release

There is only one copy currently on eBay. The others that had been posted either ended before the announcement or have been BIN'd since then.

Glad I picked up the HG run from Clink a couple of months back. The #28 is a 9.4+ book.

ya Shazam #28 is extremely scarce. 1-25 aren't tough to find though. took me about a year and a half to find a Shazam #28 in 9.6+

wow that Shazam 28 is going to skyrocket for sure. beat up copies are hard to find of that one, let alone a decent copy.

In 2015/2016 look for

Spider-man 194 (despite high census numbers, and lots of hoarded copies)

Daredevil 131 (wasn't speculated on like 168)

Star Wars 1,42,68,107,81 (especially once 2016 rolls around)

Marvel premiere #15, first Iron Fist remains affordable despite hollywood rumors...

Also All the bronze DC still has to catch up with Marvel.

Books like Batman 227 and 232 have lots of room to grow. DC bronze in general has room for growth.

Ms Marvel #1 is also still quite affordable, the whole run is solid really.

Bullseye Black Cat. anything Star Wars and boba Fett related, and potentially Ms Marvel.

Warner Bros could have Lightning in a bottle with Shazam/Black Adam and Rock... reminds me of when they announced that RDJ would play Iron Man, look for Warner bros attempting to tap into that RDJ/Iron man charm with Rock, because he is a funny guy.

my 2 cents

That is an awful lot for that comic. Sparkle City moves lots of books though.

What is going on with Warlock?

James Gunn or Joss Whedon forget who, just said in an interview that Warlock's cocoon is in fact, in the post credits scene to Thor 2, and that it is Hatched aboard the collectors ship or w/e in Guardians.. in gotg you see a hatched cocoon briefly.

Also Joss is a big Warlock fan so I think they've been secretly trying to fit him in as the big hero for phase 3.

so Warlock, or Him unhatched, has already had a movie appearance!

ya Shazam #28 is extremely scarce. 1-25 aren't tough to find though. took me about a year and a half to find a Shazam #28 in 9.6+

wow that Shazam 28 is going to skyrocket for sure. beat up copies are hard to find of that one, let alone a decent copy.

In 2015/2016 look for

Marvel premiere #15, first Iron Fist remains affordable despite hollywood rumors...

Books like Batman 227 and 232 have lots of room to grow. DC bronze in general has room for growth.

Bullseye Black Cat. anything Star Wars and boba Fett related, and potentially Ms Marvel.

Warner Bros could have Lightning in a bottle with Shazam/Black Adam and Rock... reminds me of when they announced that RDJ would play Iron Man, look for Warner bros attempting to tap into that RDJ/Iron man charm with Rock, because he is a funny guy.

my 2 cents

lol

2a6r34l.jpg

But after a bunch of theater chains declared bankruptcy in the early 2000s, these frontloaded deals started to fall out of fashion, says Doug Stone with BoxOfficeAnalyst.com.

You can actually look at the securities filings for the big theater chains, to look at how much of their ticket revenues go back to the studios, points out Stone. So for example, the latest quarterly filing by Cinemark Holdings, shows that 54.5 percent of its ticket revenues went to the distributors. So as a ballpark figure, studios generally take in around 50-55 percent of U.S. box office money.

According to the book The Hollywood Economist by Edward Jay Epstein, studios take in about 40 percent of the revenue from overseas release

That is pretty much correct.

The cut of the theaters depends on the specific deal the production company does with them, and it's on a case by case basis.

It's true that, for blockbuster films (which, in general, are much more "front-loaded") the studios get slightly bigger cuts for the opening weekend than the rest of the film's run, but those only translate to 60% or so, which drops to 40% (or even lower) as the run progresses.

As paperheart says, a good rule of thumb is that the studio makes roughly 55% from total US gross. For international ticket sales, the cut is probably closer 30-35% (not the same for all countries - it's smaller in Japan or China than in Brazil or the UK, for example). With those numbers, Hercules has made about 40M in the US and an extra 30-35 in the rest of the world.

And from that you have to subtract the printing costs, advertising budget, blah, blah, blah.

So, yeah, it's still very much in the red. I don't doubt it'll make some respectable money from DVD and BluRay sales, but it's definitely not a "success" by any definition of the word, unless the definition is "it did better than Sin City 2" :P

That is an awful lot for that comic. Sparkle City moves lots of books though.

What is going on with Warlock?

James Gunn or Joss Whedon forget who, just said in an interview that Warlock's cocoon is in fact, in the post credits scene to Thor 2, and that it is Hatched aboard the collectors ship or w/e in Guardians.. in gotg you see a hatched cocoon briefly.

Also Joss is a big Warlock fan so I think they've been secretly trying to fit him in as the big hero for phase 3.

so Warlock, or Him unhatched, has already had a movie appearance!

Is there any thought that the cocoon is actually Paragon/Her? She has many fewer appearances to pursue if you want to cover your bases.

my 2 cents

lol

2a6r34l.jpg

well, you hoarding a bunch of the nice copies doesn't help the supply portion of the equation

it does seem less common than some of the other issues though

i have been looking to get a cheap copy in a $2 or less box for about 5 years since I decided black adam seemed like an interesting character with no such luck, so I guess there aren't palettes of those sitting around at shows

Edited by the blob

my 2 cents

lol

2a6r34l.jpg

well, you hoarding a bunch of the nice copies doesn't help the supply portion of the equation

it does seem less common than some of the other issues though

i have been looking to get a cheap copy in a $2 or less box for about 5 years since I decided black adam seemed like an interesting character with no such luck, so I guess there aren't palettes of those sitting around at shows

joescomics posted that pic. sadly, my OO run ended at #27 :frustrated:

In 2015/2016 look for

my 2 cents

lol

2a6r34l.jpg

:applause:

A VF copy sold in $300 so thats easy like $3,500

Wow, just saw that ebay listing. $86 and doesn't end until tomorrow :o

That's crazy! I don't know if any of mine are NM(ish), but they are ALL in better shape than that one. :)

They are eBay NM then.......

Some of them look nice in that pic. (thumbs u

Edited by kimik

$300 seems a little far fetched for a VF. I'll have to look them over when I get home later. I feel pretty good about some of these crazy price increases (when I already have them), but I always seem to not have enough time to sell. Wife works evenings and I've got the little ones to tend to. lol

Maybe I'll try listing a few books in the next few days (shrug)