• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

Shazam 28 has been a sleeper. I have owned about 12 copies, extremely hard to find in HG, and a GREAT chracter who is used consistently in modern comics. This book deserves the credit WAY more than Ms Marvel 1.

I respectfully disagree. :foryou:

1. It's a DC. :P

2. Shazam is a second-tier title, with a third-tier (at best) super-hero. :P :p

3. S28 may be scarce, but only because the title was a total FAIL (after the C.C. Beck issues), and in a nose-dive at the time. :P :p :P

4. Black Adam? Your kiddin' me right? :popcorn:

This has got to be the high water mark for speculative dumbassery in the hobby. I thought it couldn't get any worse than Foom 2 but here we are.

Oh come on have we forgot Squirrel girl yet. That was the high water mark :)

I'm having a hard time figuring out the original comment. A high profile actor is playing a comic character. If you don't understand why people are clamoring for the book I'm afraid the comic industry and it's current buyers have passed you by.

I'm doing alright for myself. :preach: I just wouldn't pay nearly $500 for this book in 9.6 or buy any copy at current market prices.. I will keep selling them though. Rocket Raccoon paid for my kid's braces. smileys-money-702364.gif

You got me thinking, is this the future of the hobby? I'm not sure the people buying these are comic fans so much as $$$ fans. Will they stick around when the tide changes or will they shift to the next big thing? Would a really bad movie have the same effect as the Sixth Gun debacle? Or will they just be glad they have a nice copy in their collection of the first bronze appearance of their favorite character, Black Adam?

Edited by Mike's Rack

You got me thinking, is this the future of the hobby? I'm not sure the people buying these are comic fans so much as $$$ fans. Will they stick around when the tide changes or will they shift to the next big thing? Would a really bad movie have the same effect as the Sixth Gun debacle? Or will they just be glad they have a nice copy in their collection of the first bronze appearance of their favorite character, Black Adam?

You forgot, "the market is primed for a crash" and "it's the 90's again". :preach:

You forgot, "the market is primed for a crash" and "it's the 90's again". :preach:

Well, he does have a point . . . :preach:

Shazam 28 has been a sleeper. I have owned about 12 copies, extremely hard to find in HG, and a GREAT chracter who is used consistently in modern comics. This book deserves the credit WAY more than Ms Marvel 1.

3. S28 may be scarce, but only because the title was a total FAIL (after the C.C. Beck issues), and in a nose-dive at the time. :P :p :P

opinions vary, but other common books that feature Black Adam are doing good as well.

not my book.

DC Comics Presents 49

opinions vary, but other common books that feature Black Adam are doing good as well.

not my book.

DC Comics Presents 49

Thanks! Going to pull that one tonight! :grin:

1. Thats stupid

2. Not talking about Shazam

3. And THAT is why it is rare.

4. You do NOT read moderns. Because he is probably the most popular DC villain these days, that is not in a Batman book. 52, World War III, etc, etc, etc.. Character is awesome.

Wow...

ScreenShot2014-09-10at80526PM_zps4ada2d59.png

Seriously, Wow!

Who the F@ck is paying that sort of money for that book? :screwy:

Lots of crazy money being spent :facepalm: Sum1 just blasted over $1100 for a cgc 9,8 Batman #200 on Clink when there is a cgc 9.8 copy on ebay for $999 Buy it now, with same page quality and free shipping. :ohnoez:

I didn't forget because that was not my point, I don't think either is true. You can deflect with retorts but the question was genuine, I was actually hoping for an answer. (shrug) The hobby survived the 90's it will survive this phase.

I thought RDJ was the highest paid actor last year...

Peace,

Chip

I think 'highest grossing' typically means their movies made the most money, not that they themselves personally made the most money.

in 2013 somehow GI JOE 2 made $371M worldwide, added to FF 6 $790M,

Pain and Gain $81M, and Snitch $48M =$1.29B

which is a higher number than Iron Man 3.

Iron Man 3

Worldwide: $1,215,439,994

and the amount of the $790MM that FF 6 did that can be attributed to the Rock is about 87 cents.

True, so it pays differently then right? Like when those bench players get a championship ring and a salary bonus. :baiting:

You ever wonder if a Key Grip or Best Boy (whatever they are) tries to argue that they're the highest grossing one of those things?

I would like to publicly admit that I thought black Adam was a cool character as a kid, there I said it. DC or not, it was a desireable book to me back in the day. Selling into the hype now, but still a cool book. If history tells me anything, I'll have undersold my copies early before the zenith is hit, so many a hot comic hoarder will also profit.

not my book.

DC Comics Presents 49

Thanks! Going to pull that one tonight! :grin:

(thumbs u

I would like to publicly admit that I thought black Adam was a cool character as a kid, there I said it. DC or not, it was a desireable book to me back in the day. Selling into the hype now, but still a cool book. If history tells me anything, I'll have undersold my copies early before the zenith is hit, so many a hot comic hoarder will also profit.

:applause: Although, every single book I have ever sold, now sells for more. :grin:

Interesting points about how "highest grossing" actor can be irrelevant.

I love The Rock & think he's grown into a legitimate actor. But he's yet to prove himself as a lead box office draw (see Hercules). Still, he elevates things like FF and GI Joe.

Perfect example of this is Bill Paxton. Because he's essentially a character actor who knows James Cameron, he's got an absurdly per-movie box office gross record (Terminator, Aliens, True Lies, Apollo 13, Twister, Titanic) but no one _ever_ goes to see a flick because he's in it. He's good, but his presence (or not) has little impact on the film's success.

I didn't forget because that was not my point, I don't think either is true. You can deflect with retorts but the question was genuine, I was actually hoping for an answer. (shrug) The hobby survived the 90's it will survive this phase.

MjAxMy04NDNiYjE3ZDk2ODc1MWYy_515ed000e8c87_zps6ace1a0a.png

...he's got an absurdly per-movie box office gross record (Terminator, Aliens, True Lies, Apollo 13, Twister, Titanic) but no one _ever_ goes to see a flick because he's in it.

Check out John Ratzenberger some time...he's #1 in this category. ESB, Superman, Superman II, all the Pixar movies...he's the king.

15218721325_fee28a368b_z.jpg

Peace,

Chip

Edited by Chip Cataldo

:applause: Although, every single book I have ever sold, now sells for more. :grin:

I know almost nothing about DC and what they did with the Fawcett characters afterwards, but Black Adam must be super-cool as it’s part of the original Captain Marvel, most of which is awesome! (thumbs u

Comics are just following the trend you see in all other hobbies. The key and most desireable pieces increase in value while the common books/cards/stamps/coins/trains/video games/etc. stagnate. How many people are still alive today that saw Honus Wagner/Babe Ruth/Mickey Mantle play ball yet their key rookie cards keep going up? The future of the comic hobby is the same thing - keys will be sought after by comic fans and non-comic fan investors/speculators alike. I am fine with that - both groups use the same color of money and as long as the value of the keys I am accumulating keep going up I do not care who buys them.