• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

With the announcement of the Teen Titans TV show, we should see an increase in those books. Not sure if they're copper age though.

Cover your bases by buying the 1st SA App, SA #1, and then the New Teen Titans/Tales of keys.

With the announcement of the Teen Titans TV show, we should see an increase in those books. Not sure if they're copper age though.

Cover your bases by buying the 1st SA App, SA #1, and then the New Teen Titans/Tales of keys.

Which, of course, will reignite the issue of what IS their first appearance. The way I always put it is: If Brave and Bold 54 were their ONLY appearance, would it be considered the first appearance of the Teen Titans? The name is never used and they don't even form a team.

I think it's just a matter of time--maybe now!--until the market does the same thing they did with Our Army at War, and realizes that the ostensible "first appearance" is really just a prototype. And just as Our Army at War 83 is now recognized as, "Oh, yeah, THIS is Sgt. Rock!" it won't be too long until readers--especially now that we have such easy access to reprints--will realize that it's not until Brave and Bold 60 that they say, "Oh, yeah, THIS is the Teen Titans!" (Not to mention the first appearance of Wonder Girl!)

Which, of course, will reignite the issue of what IS their first appearance. The way I always put it is: If Brave and Bold 54 were their ONLY appearance, would it be considered the first appearance of the Teen Titans? The name is never used and they don't even form a team.

I think it's just a matter of time--maybe now!--until the market does the same thing they did with Our Army at War, and realizes that the ostensible "first appearance" is really just a prototype. And just as Our Army at War 83 is now recognized as, "Oh, yeah, THIS is Sgt. Rock!" it won't be too long until readers--especially now that we have such easy access to reprints--will realize that it's not until Brave and Bold 60 that they say, "Oh, yeah, THIS is the Teen Titans!" (Not to mention the first appearance of Wonder Girl!)

Or, of course, you could have a Guardians of the Galaxy situation where the old team has basically nothing to do with the movie/television team. It really depends on what characters they use. I have a feeling that we wont see Robin, Kid Flash, and Wonder Girl on this version of the Teen Titans.

Well, you definitely won't see Robin as they're already announced that Nightwing will be the leader. They also name-dropped Cyborg, Starfire and Raven.

Peace,

Chip

Does that mean that TTT #44 will get even hotter/pricer? (and, "yes", I have one! :banana:)

Well, you definitely won't see Robin as they're already announced that Nightwing will be the leader. They also name-dropped Cyborg, Starfire and Raven.

Peace,

Chip

Does that mean that TTT #44 will get even hotter/pricer? (and, "yes", I have one! :banana:)

I suspect it also means big things for DC Presents 26 and New Teen Titans 1 (and possibly the Teen Titans Spotlight mini-series issues with individual origins).

Peace,

Chip

I suspect it also means big things for DC Presents 26 and New Teen Titans 1 (and possibly the Teen Titans Spotlight mini-series issues with individual origins).

I can't see anyone caring about the Spotlight mini. (And yes, I have them)

You got me thinking, is this the future of the hobby? I'm not sure the people buying these are comic fans so much as $$$ fans. Will they stick around when the tide changes or will they shift to the next big thing? Would a really bad movie have the same effect as the Sixth Gun debacle? Or will they just be glad they have a nice copy in their collection of the first bronze appearance of their favorite character, Black Adam?

You forgot, "the market is primed for a crash" and "it's the 90's again". :preach:

I didn't forget because that was not my point, I don't think either is true. You can deflect with retorts but the question was genuine, I was actually hoping for an answer. (shrug) The hobby survived the 90's it will survive this phase.

MjAxMy04NDNiYjE3ZDk2ODc1MWYy_515ed000e8c87_zps6ace1a0a.png

lol maybe not an answer so much as a take.

Interesting points about how "highest grossing" actor can be irrelevant.

Perfect example of this is Bill Paxton. Because he's essentially a character actor who knows James Cameron, he's got an absurdly per-movie box office gross record (Terminator, Aliens, True Lies, Apollo 13, Twister, Titanic) but no one _ever_ goes to see a flick because he's in it. He's good, but his presence (or not) has little impact on the film's success.

Check out Frailty where he both acted and directed

Perfect example of this is Bill Paxton. Because he's essentially a character actor who knows James Cameron, he's got an absurdly per-movie box office gross record (Terminator, Aliens, True Lies, Apollo 13, Twister, Titanic) but no one _ever_ goes to see a flick because he's in it. He's good, but his presence (or not) has little impact on the film's success.

Check out Frailty where he both acted and directed

This is one of those movies that nobody has seen, but is so good it feels like you're in an exclusive club for the very cool for having seen it and not telling anyone else about it. You just busted the doors wide open for the 'not cool' people. (tsk) Hopefully, Paxton forgives you!

I love The Rock & think he's grown into a legitimate actor. But he's yet to prove himself as a lead box office draw (see Hercules). Still, he elevates things like FF and GI Joe.

If Hudson had survived Aliens he would have been one of the reasons for me to want to see Aliens 3 (if he would have been in it).

You got me thinking, is this the future of the hobby? I'm not sure the people buying these are comic fans so much as $$$ fans. Will they stick around when the tide changes or will they shift to the next big thing? Would a really bad movie have the same effect as the Sixth Gun debacle? Or will they just be glad they have a nice copy in their collection of the first bronze appearance of their favorite character, Black Adam?

You forgot, "the market is primed for a crash" and "it's the 90's again". :preach:

I didn't forget because that was not my point, I don't think either is true. You can deflect with retorts but the question was genuine, I was actually hoping for an answer. (shrug) The hobby survived the 90's it will survive this phase.

lol maybe not an answer so much as a take.

The older stuff has a better chance on being a Personal Collection book than the newer stuff.