• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,847 posts in this topic

At some point it does matter though. Just too many copies out there on some titles. How many comic collectors are actually out there plunking down for $100 books nowadays?

There are tons of collectors willing to buy books for $100 to $200 at local shows, but over that you hit some price resistance for non-keys. NM #98s in VF or better sell for $150 without any hesitation, and I can get up to $100 for FN/FN+ ASM #300s. ASM #361 in VF or better get snapped up at $40 apiece within minutes of being put out at busy shows.. At the Calgary show in April, we had a guy come by our booth to show off his great buy - a 6.5/7.0 NTT #2 for $60. He said that it was cheap as most of the other copies at the show were priced at $80+. doh!

jeez louise, i should shlep a van of comics up to canada!

But really, I'm more talking about tens of thousands of collectors out there...like in 1992 let's say, huge #s of people in that kind of market. i have to think there are fewer now? or are there as many now, but a lot fewer people speculating on the next $5-$15 book?

my local shop has a NM looking NM 98 sitting up behind the counter for $100 I think (I'll re-check) and it has been there a while. very busy location.

so if there's a book with 500,000 copies out and about and 20,000 collectors in the market to plunk down $100 for a copy...you see how supply is eventually going to push the sales figure number down. it's just econ 101. same reason why the barry bonds RC card was almost worthless before the steroids stuff.

with that said, i guess that a CGC 9.8 is a hard enough grade to get that it will keep the #s under control and the sales prices up for some of the high print run keys out there. the $150 VF NM 98 is a head scratcher though.

Bond's '87 Fleer card in 9.5, and PSA 10 respectively, were bringing in big dollars before the steroid issue came up, but crashed to the ground like a bag of rocks when the Balco thing leaked. The amount they printed didn't matter much. Sports cards (older ones) are a completely different animal than comics. Like most comic keys, the highest graded cards will usually always bring in the big money regardless of the print run. As far as Bonds, and Clemens, and Mcgwire are concerned, the smart ones dumped his cards long before the steroid thing became common knowledge. As Jim Rome said, "You don't age in reverse." And your head and feet don't grow at the age of 37.

I would be happy to buy Copper keys from boardies at US prices to flip locally. :devil:

Alberta is an interesting market place right now. We have more younger collectors and comic buyers at shows than older ones. I have had kids that look 11 or 12 plunk down $100+ on SA books this year. There are also a lot of female collectors that have entered the market over the past two years which is great to see as well.

A mid 20s local collector I bought some books from this summer made an interesting comment to me a couple of months ago when we met. He is a skilled tradesman, and he said that most of the trades people he knows around the same age read new books and are collecting older books now as they have high paying jobs and high disposable income levels.

This is reflected in the health of the local comic stores as well. One small owner had to pick up a construction job and reduce store hours to make ends meet a few years ago. Last year he quit the construction job as he was making enough from the store on reduced hours (only open Wednesday, Thurs & Friday evenings, and Saturday) to more than replace that income.

Very interesting. I hope to see this in the US market. I am very fearful of a drop in collector's for this next generation.

It's different. A lot fewer dollars can make every Canadian (and particularly the few million in oil focused areas) feel rich than is required to move the U.S. economy with 10X the population. It isn't as if the smoke and mirrors economy of 2004-2006 drive comics at all levels upward, just some CGC books.

I would be happy to buy Copper keys from boardies at US prices to flip locally. :devil:

I've got Copper keys to sell :whistle:

Please PM me :wishluck:

Jim

You have ENOUGH copper Jimbo :sumo: .. Save some scraps for us bottom feeders :insane:

Bond's '87 Fleer card in 9.5, and PSA 10 respectively, were bringing in big dollars before the steroid issue came up, but crashed to the ground like a bag of rocks when the Balco thing leaked.

-------------------

Relatively small supply of those. I was more thinking about the palettes of his Topps card that was once $5-$10 and was then 10 cents.

What's more interesting is why baby canucks like comics more than american kiddies? i suppose it's a better overall educational system...reading is less icky sounding.... less obsession with video games/interweb? you'd think you'd create some video game obsessed chowder heads being shut in frozen in the tundra 9-10 months of the year, but i guess they're out playing hockey or snow boarding or hunting elk?

It's a trick. They just want all our copper so when rule of 25 kicks in full force they can sell them back to us at inflated prices!

But seriously If any Canadians want to buy bulk Copper keys/semi keys bulk i'm sure many boardies could supply plenty. I have multiple copies of every CA key and semi key other than TMNT 1 first print and New mutants 98.

What's more interesting is why baby canucks like comics more than american kiddies? i suppose it's a better overall educational system...reading is less icky sounding.... less obsession with video games/interweb? you'd think you'd create some video game obsessed chowder heads being shut in frozen in the tundra 9-10 months of the year, but i guess they're out playing hockey or snow boarding or hunting elk?

In Alberta, a lot of the younger gamers I know are comic collectors as well, but I think it has to do with relatively higher disposable income levels to be honest. With comics being more mainstream now it has brought a whole new collecting cohort into the game up here with money to spend. The best trait of these new 13-30 year old collectors I see at shows is this - they do not haggle on sticker prices! They see a book they want, they buy, and go away happy. It is only us older collectors (35+) that try to negotiate on prices. Myabe they will eventually learn to do this as well, but I hope not. :wishluck:

Edited by kimik

plenty of kids in the u.s have high disposable incomes and no interest in comics. they plop down $200/mo or whatever on video games and what not. i used to live in a very affluent area of manhattan (typical two bedroom apartment is pushing $2 million nowadays) that had three comic shops in the 80s and 90s. all are gone. the area has more kids than ever (the schools are overcrowded with yuppie spawn).

Bond's '87 Fleer card in 9.5, and PSA 10 respectively, were bringing in big dollars before the steroid issue came up, but crashed to the ground like a bag of rocks when the Balco thing leaked.

-------------------

Relatively small supply of those. I was more thinking about the palettes of his Topps card that was once $5-$10 and was then 10 cents.

Yeah, the Topps cards were a bust. But, the glossy ones were selling for big bucks in those grades. That wood panelling set was just awful.

I saw this too. I wish they had a :facepalm: because this was my reaction.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

mixed with a lot of (tsk) (tsk) (tsk) (tsk) (tsk) (tsk) (tsk) (tsk) (tsk) (tsk)

Consider the source and all that, I guess...

Edited by awakeintheashes