• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,820 posts in this topic

But if you are going to bring it up as an example because you cherish other collectibles, expect someone that collects such work is going to speak to it.

:foryou:

But... I didn't bring it up as an example. Lonzilla did. I only used his example to show that it wasn't apples to apples with MS13, as Bronty mentioned. ;)

There is a general understanding, that there is a huge difference between a character's first appearance, and the first time the image of a character appears in print, right?

I mean, for 99.9% of us at least?

99.999999999% - All of us except MrWeen and the guy who just listed SA #4 on eBay for $99. :insane:

I mean... it's a bit ridiculous, right?

I am all for collector weirdness. If I want to collect all things Thanos, SURE I want to pick up that issue of Marvel Age, why not? I see no problem with simply pointing out weird/oddball stuff like that.

Just don't try to point to, a non story, "first time the image of a character sees print" and try to call it a "first appearance". Just pointing to the literal definition of the word "first", and the word "appearance", does not an argument make.

This hobby, which is built on people reading stories, is mostly interested in characters that appear, in stories. This is what a "first appearance" means, in comic collecting.

There is nothing wrong with collecting the first time the image of a character appears in print. Nothing at all. If it floats your boat, buy every Malibu Sun 13 that your heart desires. Just understand what you are talking about.

The first time the image of a character appears in print. NOT the first appearance of the character.

Though I would never use a Thanos appearance in Marvel Age as an example when discussing oddball collectibles I can assure you that I understand what I am talking about. Go take a look at the Overstreet definition or a litany of other definitions. I have yet to see one that lists the need to be part of the story as a first appearance requirement. In fact Overstreet defines a first appearance as: Same as debut. And they define debut as the first time a character appears anywhere. Yea you read that right...anywhere.

By the way it looks like the market has already spoken about Malibu 13, it regularly sells for significantly more than Spawn 1. For those who type the word market in response to my plea for historical accuracy then what say you concerning a book like Malibu 13? The point is you can't have it both ways.

Hey bud I collect weirdness too!

Let me be clear. You have no idea what you are talking about. Why don't you go and try this in the Golden Age, Silver Age and Bronze Age thread and see how far you go. Trust me you won't go very far.

What part don't you understand that your view on first appearances is utter nonsense, No one has taken you seriously in months. To be honest, you are just wasting your time even posting on the boards. Take some time off, re-evaluate your stance on first appearances and come back when your views change or you are willing to listen.

People are entitled to their opinion. Whether you agree with them or not is entirely up to you. Everyone on here can voice how they feel or what they believe....

To insult people or try and :baiting: people into an arguement is immature, unproductive and doesn't do anything except start flame wars.

rantrant

I am not hear to start an argument or flame war. It is not a insult to MrWeen. MrWeen has been the butt of jokes for months now. Nothing new. MrWeen occassionally has some good insight but if MrWeen wants to be taken seriously that stance on first appearances has to change. MrWeen's views are just confusing the new collectors to the hobby.

these jokes you speak of must be told in the super secret forums because i havent read them. most people toss insults or spew anger when the don't have a counter argument. look, my view may be in the minority but it doesn't mean it's wrong. my desire if for universally accepted definition which i understand will never happen. not all comics preview a character at the end of a comic so if im collecting livewire i would want to own that comic, especially in the case as the art differs from the cover to issue 5. sounds like im helping collectors here not confusing them. dont let the amount of posts i have trick you, ive been collecting comics for close to 30 years. im not always right but i dont have an agenda either. i dont own any copies of sup adv 4 or 5

I would really hate to be a hardcore OCD Spider-Man collector in your world. They would probably need about 90% of Marvel comics ever made plus who knows what else.

Nothing much new but the intensity has definitely increased for these comics.

Uncanny X-Men #266 9.8 @ $240 & 66 watchers?! :ohnoez:

X-Factor #5 9.8 @ $127 & 25 watchers.

Infinity Guantlet #1-6 @ $56 & 19 bids.

Batman The Killing Joke @ $11 measily dollars but 42 watchers. hm

But there is no legitimate reason for it and these books shouldn't be this high :sumo::devil:

What WOULD be a legitimate reason?

Ask Darkstar, That's his favorite line

Like I said, if you can't back up the book you're pimping then you're just trying to push a turd sandwich on the market. The books Whetteon posted are all established books some of which are also tied to recent or upcoming movie properties.

Is there a Livewire movie coming out Kevin? Oh wait she doesn't need a movie, she's the next Harley Quinn! :eyeroll:

We've passed the line of "splitting hairs territory" some time back. But I consider MS13 more than just an advertisement, yet less than a storyline appearance/cameo. I think there's enough material to make it a first appearance prior to Spawn #1, but it really comes down to each individual's preferences.

BINGO!

:applause:

Yep, we've been dancing around that point for a while now...

:whee:

Nothing much new but the intensity has definitely increased for these comics.

Uncanny X-Men #266 9.8 @ $240 & 66 watchers?! :ohnoez:

X-Factor #5 9.8 @ $127 & 25 watchers.

Infinity Guantlet #1-6 @ $56 & 19 bids.

Batman The Killing Joke @ $11 measily dollars but 42 watchers. hm

But there is no legitimate reason for it and these books shouldn't be this high :sumo::devil:

What WOULD be a legitimate reason?

Ask Darkstar, That's his favorite line

Like I said, if you can't back up the book you're pimping then you're just trying to push a turd sandwich on the market. The books Whetteon posted are all established books some of which are also tied to recent or upcoming movie properties.

Is there a Livewire movie coming out Kevin? Oh wait she doesn't need a movie, she's the next Harley Quinn! :eyeroll:

Why are some people here so opposed to the rise in popularity of an obscure character with a killer design? I guess we can never know but I wonder how many people who are bashing Livewire are doing so because they don't own a Superman Adv 4 Superman adv 5.

Why are some people here so opposed to the rise in popularity of an obscure character with a killer design? I guess we can never know but I wonder how many people who are bashing Livewire are doing so because they don't own a Superman Adv 4 Superman adv 5.

I'm not opposed to the rise in popularity of a character. I'm saying the prices don't line up with the character's popularity and demand. People are paying money for the book as if the character has already hit it big, which isn't the case. SA 5 is due for a large correction. People are paying high prices on that book currently simply because they are HOPING that its the next BA 12 and they don't want to miss the boat.

I'm not opposed to the rise in popularity of a character. I'm saying the prices don't line up with the character's popularity and demand. People are paying money for the book as if the character has already hit it big, which isn't the case. SA 5 is due for a large correction. People are paying high prices on that book currently simply because they are HOPING that its the next BA 12 and they don't want to miss the boat.

You you may be right, but that's the market right now. Has been for two years now.

Don't go into the modern section.

Just like everyone is hoping to own the next Walking Dead #1. There isn't always rationale behind comic speculating. At least Superman Adventures # 5 didn't comic out last week. Explain how a MONTH OLD comic can be valued at $100 or even $50. It's the nature of the collecting "beast". One can either poo-poo it or ride the wave.....while it lasts.

Meck

Malibu Sun #13 has a few things going for it (in no order of importance):

1. The size closely resembles a comic book.

2. It has practically the same cover as Spawn #1, but the eyes are red (think "prototype design").

3. It says "SPAWN" on the front cover.

4. The back cover features Spawn.

5. It's much scarcer than the tons of Spawn #1's floating around.

All of these things combine to make that book desirable to own (I do not own one). Is it a first appearance? Not in story, but it's hard to ignore the same cover art...

It's pretty common that the cover art is released before the book. If we are using that as a judge for 1st appearance, I see why this conversation is still going on.

I'd be interested in seeing some examples of something similar to the Malibu Sun #13 - Spawn #1 comparison. But if you're just talking about cover art located on a page inside a book somewhere, then you've conveniently decided to ignore most of my post to try and prove a point. It doesn't work that way. (tsk)

Here. Just an ad for The Crow. A different category than the preview/ small ad preview. Cult character, full back cover

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEADWORLD-10-VARIANT-THE-CROW-1st-Appearance-RARE-Pre-Caliber-Presents-1-NM-/161301247082?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item258e4db46a

I wouldn't consider that a first appearance since it doesn't have the same art, nor is it on the front cover. It's little more than a "got milk?" ad, in my opinion.

Ask the forumite that spent over $4,000 for that cover because amongst hardcore Crow fans they appreciate this more than you may realize.

- It is not a preview of any upcoming artwork

- It is a full-page painting versus a tiny mention in a preview magazine

- It never shows up in the series

There are quite a few Crownuts that would love to be Comix4fun and own that piece.

Well, to each their own. I know that some collectors chase ads, prototypes, or any earliest mention of a character. That's fine.

What I was trying to point out is why Malibu Sun #13 could be considered an actual first appearance, as opposed to just an advertisement such as The Crow in Deadworld #10.

That "ad" was Caliber launching their entire company with their first new character in a series that already had people buzzing long before it hit shelves. It's the first time the character ever appeared in publication. It's not a "mention" or "prototype" is was specifically crafted to launch the company and the series. They had a lot of eggs in the Crow basket and this piece was a launching point for all of it.

When you've got a character that exploded the way The Crow did, and continues to be in print, and developed for Movies/TV 25 years later, the launching point for all of it, the exact point of origin, is pretty important.

Just like everyone is hoping to own the next Walking Dead #1. There isn't always rationale behind comic speculating. At least Superman Adventures # 5 didn't comic out last week. Explain how a MONTH OLD comic can be valued at $100 or even $50. It's the nature of the collecting "beast". One can either poo-poo it or ride the wave.....while it lasts.

Meck

Spot on.

Got milk?

Got delivered yesterday.

Deadworldbackcovercomp_zps7f7eeb58.jpg

Eh.

Nice artwork, but I can think of better ways to spend 4 grand. It's just not my cup of... milk?

lol

I have a feeling the art market would blow your hair back if you flinch at $4k for the first time anyone ever saw a character in print that went on to 4 feature films, a TV series, a fifth feature film in the works, and endless millions in merchandising along with 25 consecutive years in publication.

Someone paid over $650k for a McFarlane cover with Spider-man nut-punching the Hulk.

There aren't a lot better ways to spend $4k in comic art.

Got milk?

Got delivered yesterday.

Eh.

Nice artwork, but I can think of better ways to spend 4 grand. It's just not my cup of... milk?

lol

I have a feeling the art market would blow your hair back if you flinch at $4k for the first time anyone ever saw a character in print that went on to 4 feature films, a TV series, a fifth feature film in the works, and endless millions in merchandising along with 25 consecutive years in publication.

Someone paid over $650k for a McFarlane cover with Spider-man nut-punching the Hulk.

I think that's a good price. Congrats on a great piece. What issue is that back cover from?

Got milk?

Got delivered yesterday.

Eh.

lol

I think that art was actually used on the back of The Crow TPB. 4K for a piece of art is nothing, 4K doesn't really buy you much in the art world, Want a big name in art? Expect to spend over 10K for anything halfway decent, $20K-30K for "money shots"

Malibu Sun #13 has a few things going for it (in no order of importance):

1. The size closely resembles a comic book.

2. It has practically the same cover as Spawn #1, but the eyes are red (think "prototype design").

3. It says "SPAWN" on the front cover.

4. The back cover features Spawn.

5. It's much scarcer than the tons of Spawn #1's floating around.

All of these things combine to make that book desirable to own (I do not own one). Is it a first appearance? Not in story, but it's hard to ignore the same cover art...

It's pretty common that the cover art is released before the book. If we are using that as a judge for 1st appearance, I see why this conversation is still going on.

I'd be interested in seeing some examples of something similar to the Malibu Sun #13 - Spawn #1 comparison. But if you're just talking about cover art located on a page inside a book somewhere, then you've conveniently decided to ignore most of my post to try and prove a point. It doesn't work that way. (tsk)

Here. Just an ad for The Crow. A different category than the preview/ small ad preview. Cult character, full back cover

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEADWORLD-10-VARIANT-THE-CROW-1st-Appearance-RARE-Pre-Caliber-Presents-1-NM-/161301247082?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item258e4db46a

I wouldn't consider that a first appearance since it doesn't have the same art, nor is it on the front cover. It's little more than a "got milk?" ad, in my opinion.

Ask the forumite that spent over $4,000 for that cover because amongst hardcore Crow fans they appreciate this more than you may realize.

- It is not a preview of any upcoming artwork

- It is a full-page painting versus a tiny mention in a preview magazine

- It never shows up in the series

There are quite a few Crownuts that would love to be Comix4fun and own that piece.

Well, to each their own. I know that some collectors chase ads, prototypes, or any earliest mention of a character. That's fine.

What I was trying to point out is why Malibu Sun #13 could be considered an actual first appearance, as opposed to just an advertisement such as The Crow in Deadworld #10.

That "ad" was Caliber launching their entire company with their first new character in a series that already had people buzzing long before it hit shelves. It's the first time the character ever appeared in publication. It's not a "mention" or "prototype" is was specifically crafted to launch the company and the series. They had a lot of eggs in the Crow basket and this piece was a launching point for all of it.

When you've got a character that exploded the way The Crow did, and continues to be in print, and developed for Movies/TV 25 years later, the launching point for all of it, the exact point of origin, is pretty important.

He gets it.

:whee:

Man all you guys have been blowin' that hard earned money on a second appearance. Livewire appears for the first time at the end of this issue and the web is fully stocked so please go buy some.

Oh and I wants my board credit for this one. ;)

index_zps9a31f2b5.jpg

You posted this at 1:32 PM (10:32 AM PST) on May 23, 2014

eBay Sold Listings for May 23, 2014:

TIME (PST) (PRICE)

08:38 AM... ($1.40)

09:48 AM... ($1.59)

09:49 AM... ($1.49)

09:51 AM... ($1.44)

09:53 AM... ($4.89) NOTE - included 2,3,6, Annual 1

09:57 AM... ($1.20)

10:05 AM... ($1.21)

10:10 AM... ($1.69)