• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,818 posts in this topic

Maybe prices for Green Arrow books haven't gone up much but I've definitely noticed more interest in the books. Since the series started, I've been asked various times what Green Arrow books I have with me and that's pretty much the only DC character that I get asked about usually.

Personally, I feel like he fell victim too many Limited Series.

Not quite sure what you mean here. He had two limited series. One in the early 80's, which was his first solo title ever, and then Longbow Hunters, which launched the Grell revamp and directly leads into Green Arrow #1.

One limited series prior to the Grell era and then one that kicks off the new direction. Maybe two is too many, but it doesn't seem like much to me.

On the other hand...

i can't remember, did he have his own solo stories in any titles already like adventure or flash or what not? i assume in the GA he had solo stories, but he had his little sidekick then though.

Warning: Long overview of Green Arrow's publishing history incoming!

Other than a period of 6 years or so in the mid 1960's, Green Arrow was basically in continual publication in his own strip from his first appearance in More Fun #73 in 1941 right up until he finally got his own ongoing solo series in 1988.

This can be attributed to one simple fact: He was created by Mort Weisinger. As one of Mort's pet characters, Ollie's backup solo strip ran right through from the Golden Age into the Silver Age even when many far more popular DC characters like Flash and Green Lantern vanished. Green Arrow's strip ran variously in More Fun, Adventure and World's Finest from 1941 right up until 1964.

For the next 6 years, Ollie was featured as a member of the Justice League before finally being revamped by O'Neil and Adams in Brave and the Bold #85. That led to him getting co-billing on the revamped Green Lantern/Green Arrow in 1970.

Green_Lantern_Vol_2_76.jpg

When that series ended in 1972, he first got a brief backup in Flash (which was the last unpublished GL/GA story, just cut up for serialization).

the-flash-comic-217.jpg

At that point, he moved over to Action Comics, where his strip ran in a rotation with The Atom from 1973 until 1976.

Action_Comics_424.jpg

In 1976, Green Lantern/Green Arrow relaunched and ran another 30+ issues, until 1979.

Green_Lantern_Vol_2_90.jpg

While the GL/GA run was still going, Ollie simultaneously got his own solo strip in World's Finest in 1977.

300px-World%27s_Finest_Comics_244.jpg

That series ran until 1982, when it moved over to Detective Comics.

300px-Detective_Comics_521.jpg

The Detective strip ran until the end of 1986, and in 1987 Longbow Hunters came out launching the Grell era.

250px-Green_Arrow_The_Longbow_Hunters.jpg

So there's plenty of Green Arrow stuff to go around. I've been trying to put together a run of all his solo stuff from 1970-on for years and still haven't quite finished it all.

For me, the key "modern" Green Arrow back issues (meaning after his revamp by Adams) are GL/GA #76, B&B #85 and Justice League of America #75. Second tier would be Green Arrow (1988) #1, Longbow Hunters #1, GL/GA #90 and Green Arrow (1983 ls) #1.

But that's just me.

~ ahem ~

As I asked earlier, why is there no movement on Green Arrow? That would include things like Long Bow Hunters, the first mini, the first regular series, etc.

The last mini sold on eBay sold for a whole $5.50 yesterday.

A set of Longbow Hunters and TWO sets of the mini sold for a whopping $4 on the 29th.

The Grell series....zip.

Apparently, ancillary, supporting characters are much cooler than title characters.

So I asked experts on this question, three 19 year olds. All three of them said "that's not the character on Arrow" when I showed them the Long Bow Hunters miniseries.

I then showed them the Green Arrow books. Same response.

When I said "same name, same character" the response was - nope, different guy.

Now THAT makes sense.

We're getting old, aren't we...?

:cry:

Secondly, you can't base sales, good or bad, on any one sale. Like I said, some go for a couple bucks some go for $30.

hm

Really? I had no idea.

I thought you could always base market value off of one sale, and I always assume that when someone gives an example, that is the definitive, end-all final word on market value...and that, contrary to my correct understanding of the word "example."

When I checked eBay, I carefully averted my eyes, so I wouldn't see any other sales.

:ohnoez:

Lastly, none of those are the 1st appearance of him or anybody else. If you follow speculation it typically deals in a hot cover or 1st appearance now days.

Really? You don't say.

(If I really wanted to be a wiseacre, I'd post examples as links for each word in that sentence, but it takes too much work, and I'm busy.)

~ ahem ~

As I asked earlier, why is there no movement on Green Arrow? That would include things like Long Bow Hunters, the first mini, the first regular series, etc.

A set of Longbow Hunters and TWO sets of the mini sold for a whopping $4 on the 29th.

The Grell series....zip.

Apparently, ancillary, supporting characters are much cooler than title characters.

So I asked experts on this question, three 19 year olds. All three of them said "that's not the character on Arrow" when I showed them the Long Bow Hunters miniseries.

Now THAT makes sense.

I know for a fact I wasn't that ignorant at 19 :cloud9:

I had no idea that Deathstroke's 1st was pulling some decent bread. I haven't paid attention to DC books too well in the last year.

Makes me think it's prime time to sell the NTT #2 CGC SS George Perez.

Patrick

So...is the beef that Green Arrow IS Selling, it's just that the comic store owners are making the money on $1 - 3 back issues and TPBs, but the speculators aren't pulling down coin? lol:jokealert:

I think the relatively complicated publication history can make it hard for people who don't know how to research these things to find a good starting point.

Which is where the New 52 comes in to it I guess.

I haven't seen a Green Arrow issue below #8 in bins around here in quite some time.

I buy #17 on the spot every time I see it.

And when I found 5 copies of Arrow #1 (The TV Show book) sitting in a dealer's forgotten box and brought them to his attention so he could maybe put them out where people could find them, he was really excited to see that he had some.

Pretty much every time I spend more than 5 minutes in a shop, someone brings up Green Arrow. You can find SO MUCH of it in dollar bins in almost any given comic shop though, that new fans haven't had to pay any kind of premium to get some decent books. If the show continues to be popular and it gets a few more seasons, I think you'll see modest buy steady increases in quality Green Arrow back issues.

So...is the beef that Green Arrow IS Selling, it's just that the comic store owners are making the money on $1 - 3 back issues and TPBs, but the speculators aren't pulling down coin? lol:jokealert:

I think the relatively complicated publication history can make it hard for people who don't know how to research these things to find a good starting point.

I haven't seen a Green Arrow issue below #8 in bins around here in quite some time.

And when I found 5 copies of Arrow #1 (The TV Show book) sitting in a dealer's forgotten box and brought them to his attention so he could maybe put them out where people could find them, he was really excited to see that he had some.

Pretty much every time I spend more than 5 minutes in a shop, someone brings up Green Arrow. You can find SO MUCH of it in dollar bins in almost any given comic shop though, that new fans haven't had to pay any kind of premium to get some decent books. If the show continues to be popular and it gets a few more seasons, I think you'll see modest buy steady increases in quality Green Arrow back issues.

This is the Copper forum. No one really cares about New 52 here.

~ ahem ~

The Grell series....zip.

Now THAT makes sense.

I know for a fact I wasn't that ignorant at 19 :cloud9:

They were not ignorant, as they were correct, it is a different guy now. Arrogant maybe, but not ignorant.

This is the Copper forum. No one really cares about New 52 here.

No one should care about it anywhere.

Probably worth noting that the Green Arrow 1 from the New 52 sells significantly better on eBay than the Green Arrow 1 from 1988 that keeps getting cited as heating up by a certain someone in the copper forum.

Probably worth noting that the Green Arrow 1 from the New 52 sells significantly better on eBay than the Green Arrow 1 from 1988 that keeps getting cited as heating up by a certain someone in the copper forum.

So note it elsewhere. :grin: