• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,820 posts in this topic

Right now there is great $$$ to be made from CA books since you can snag collections for so cheap. I am curious to see how things end, but this reminds me a lot of the action on BA books from 2003 - 2005 (maybe starting a bit earlier).

Snagging collections "for cheap" depends entirely on where you are. Maybe in Canada, but here in SoCal, it's simply not possible.

So true, up here I can throw a dead cat and hit high grade collections all day long. I was in California this summer and traveled up and down the coast and there was nothing but garbage to pick at. Mind you, my trip wasn't about finding comics, it was to relax so maybe there is stuff out there but the shops carried rags for back issues and everything was priced the highest I've ever seen.

Interesting. We are fortunate here then with Copper and older collections. They pop up on a regular basis. For example, last night I picked up 700 or so book that included a NMish run of Sandman #1-75, a nice run of Swamp Thing #37 - 171, and New Teen Titans/Tales of #1-59 plus a bunch of other nice books (e.g. Transformers #1, 3, 4; Power Man & Iron Fist #56 up, Avengers #190 - 230, some Tecs, GLs, Spideys, etc.)

You will never find that sort of material her in SoCal. And if you do, you're paying for it.

The few times I've gone to look at collections have been massive wastes of time. People with no clue how much their stuff is worth, and think it's worth a fortune. I have tried to explain, but to no avail. These people get offended, and think you're trying to cheat them, when you won't pay $1/book for their 90's post-Unity Valiants, so the only thing to do is get back into the car and drive away.

Too much competition, here.

I'm not sure if it's changed, but during last year's San Diego Comic Con, I visited a store outside LA and made a huge score with multiples of several copper keys. It was actually the place where the 3 Man of Steel 18 9.9s came from, spent about $2500 on all copper stuff that was all priced using OSPG. I've shopped there in the past and it's worked out very well, so I can't complain about my experiences in the SoCal area.

That's because you are the Perseus of comics, half-man half-god, blessed by Zeus and sent to civilize mankind and teach the lesser gods not to mess with the god of gods. :preach:

And also....this was found at a store. Meaning: the store got it. Most stores in SoCal don't even deal in back issues as back issues (rather than accumulation from when they were new.)

And this was one store.

meh

I don't live in SoCal but John Seeberger does and he's built an entire living based on getting huge scores in SoCal primarily on copper. My experience on Copper was based on one store (just as an example) but every time I've traveled to SoCal I've done much better than in Northern CA, which I've struggled in to find anything beyond shopping with board members.

My point isn't to talk about my ability to find books, more that I know I've had some success and I know John's had tremendous success buying from folks in SoCal, almost exclusively in his case with copper. I personally don't live there, so it'd be hard to say whether it's tough or easy to buy because if you fly in 3x a year and buy, that's not really a gauge. I do take John's experience very seriously though.

With that said, John has set up some exclusive arrangements with stores and other options so that when they get new material, he is the first call.

Edited by Foolkiller

Right now there is great $$$ to be made from CA books since you can snag collections for so cheap. I am curious to see how things end, but this reminds me a lot of the action on BA books from 2003 - 2005 (maybe starting a bit earlier).

Snagging collections "for cheap" depends entirely on where you are. Maybe in Canada, but here in SoCal, it's simply not possible.

So true, up here I can throw a dead cat and hit high grade collections all day long. I was in California this summer and traveled up and down the coast and there was nothing but garbage to pick at. Mind you, my trip wasn't about finding comics, it was to relax so maybe there is stuff out there but the shops carried rags for back issues and everything was priced the highest I've ever seen.

Interesting. We are fortunate here then with Copper and older collections. They pop up on a regular basis. For example, last night I picked up 700 or so book that included a NMish run of Sandman #1-75, a nice run of Swamp Thing #37 - 171, and New Teen Titans/Tales of #1-59 plus a bunch of other nice books (e.g. Transformers #1, 3, 4; Power Man & Iron Fist #56 up, Avengers #190 - 230, some Tecs, GLs, Spideys, etc.)

You will never find that sort of material her in SoCal. And if you do, you're paying for it.

The few times I've gone to look at collections have been massive wastes of time. People with no clue how much their stuff is worth, and think it's worth a fortune. I have tried to explain, but to no avail. These people get offended, and think you're trying to cheat them, when you won't pay $1/book for their 90's post-Unity Valiants, so the only thing to do is get back into the car and drive away.

Too much competition, here.

I'm not sure if it's changed, but during last year's San Diego Comic Con, I visited a store outside LA and made a huge score with multiples of several copper keys. It was actually the place where the 3 Man of Steel 18 9.9s came from, spent about $2500 on all copper stuff that was all priced using OSPG. I've shopped there in the past and it's worked out very well, so I can't complain about my experiences in the SoCal area.

That's because you are the Perseus of comics, half-man half-god, blessed by Zeus and sent to civilize mankind and teach the lesser gods not to mess with the god of gods. :preach:

And also....this was found at a store. Meaning: the store got it. Most stores in SoCal don't even deal in back issues as back issues (rather than accumulation from when they were new.)

And this was one store.

meh

I don't live in SoCal but John Seeberger does and he's built an entire living based on getting huge scores in SoCal primarily on copper. My experience on Copper was based on one store (just as an example) but every time I've traveled to SoCal I've done much better than in Northern CA, which I've struggled in to find anything beyond shopping with board members.

My point isn't to talk about my ability to find books, more that I know I've had some success and I know John's had tremendous success buying from folks in SoCal, almost exclusively in his case with copper. I personally don't live there, so it'd be hard to say whether it's tough or easy to buy because if you fly in 3x a year and buy, that's not really a gauge. I do take John's experience very seriously though.

With that said, John has set up some exclusive arrangements with stores and other options so that when they get new material, he is the first call.

I've lived in California my whole life, with a single two year exception. I spent 25 years in NorCal, and 15 years in SoCal.

That's great that John has had tremendous success. Truly. But that's not typical of here, where everything is highly competitive, and everybody thinks everything they have is worth top dollar, all the time.

*I* have had success, but it has been scratching and clawing the entire time, chancing on to this, hearing about that, investigating this. I have spent the last 25 years, with a four year college break in the 90's, in the industry.

And these collections, with multiple high grade copies of this and that, simply don't come around like I've seen elsewhere, precisely BECAUSE of people like John, and the rest of the very intense competition that exists here.

And, unless I'm completely mistaken, John has had some advantages that most people don't have. I'm perfectly willing to be corrected on that, if that's not the case, but I suspect it is.

Besides...John lives in San Diego, which isn't *really* SoCal.

Tongue-in-cheek on that last part. Mostly.

Crazy that X-Force 2 is going up in price, maybe people are settling for the 2nd Deadpool appearance since NM 98 is getting pricey.

I wonder if X-Force #11 is going to take off too. That has a plus of also having the first Domino. I haven't been able to find that one locally at all. Methinks speculators are buying them up.

If X-Force #2 is, there's probably a good chance #11 will at some point.

I doubt it. People are attached to Deadpool, not Donmino.

I have a NM copy of X-Force #11 in an eBay auction that ends on Sunday night. They're at least getting a lot of looks because it currently has 10 people watching it.

Now at 19 watchers.

So can someone please give me a list of the hottest Copper/80s books right now?

New Mutants #87, #98

X-Force #2, #11

Avengers #196

MTU #95

???

Put the work in and dig through this thread.

The rabbit don't come easy.

Edited by Flatliner1313

Good grief...I have so had enough of wasting my breath on this topic. If you choose to make money selling this way, that's your choice, but I really have no idea how you sleep at night.

A line of dirt all the way down the cover, near the spine. A significant impact crease at the bottom of the spine (very visible from the back) and a smaller one up top.

Last time I mention it, cuz you'll obviously keep doing what you do, but man that is just brutal.

Jim

Besides divad's grading (which in these grades you really can’t tell unless you can have the book in hand) that is clearly not a big impact crease, and the "line of dirt" is not dirt bur rather some kind of ink smudge, production related, and very common with these books.

I agree divad is not the king of pleasantville, but let’s be objective: that one can be a NM as well as a NM+ or a NM/MT – you just can’t tell from a scan that size. :shrug:

Good grief...I have so had enough of wasting my breath on this topic. If you choose to make money selling this way, that's your choice, but I really have no idea how you sleep at night.

A line of dirt all the way down the cover, near the spine. A significant impact crease at the bottom of the spine (very visible from the back) and a smaller one up top.

Last time I mention it, cuz you'll obviously keep doing what you do, but man that is just brutal.

Jim

Besides divad's grading (which in these grades you really can’t tell unless you can have the book in hand) that is clearly not a big impact crease, and the "line of dirt" is not dirt bur rather some kind of ink smudge, production related, and very common with these books.

I agree divad is not the king of pleasantville, but let’s be objective: that one can be a NM as well as a NM+ or a NM/MT – you just can’t tell from a scan that size. :shrug:

Couldn't have said it better myself, and I'm sure others think the same. Jim clearly has his bias, and nothing better to do (I might add.) :grin:

We should all just buy Divad's books, file a SNAD complaint and neg the mess out of him. Then we can see if he comes to brag about that.

Of course, people would actually have to buy your books to neg you, but that'll never happen . . . lol

New Mutants #87, #98

X-Force #2, #11

Avengers #196

MTU #95

???

OK, am I missing anything?

Albedo #2

Amazing Spiderman #300

Avengers #196

Batman Adventures #12

DC Comics Presents #26

Marvel Premiere #15, 47

Marvel Team-Up #95

Ms. Marvel #1

New Mutants #87, #98

Swamp Thing #37

Tales of the New Teen Titans #44

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (1st print)

X-Factor #6

X-Force #2, #11

New Mutants #87, #98

X-Force #2, #11

Avengers #196

MTU #95

???

Albedo #2

Amazing Spiderman #300

Avengers #196

Batman Adventures #12

DC Comics Presents #26

Marvel Premiere #15, 47

Marvel Team-Up #95

Ms. Marvel #1

New Mutants #87, #98

Swamp Thing #37

X-Factor #6

X-Force #2, #11

It's amazing that someone put a list where tmnt 1 and XFORCE 2 are on the same list

New Mutants #87, #98

X-Force #2, #11

Avengers #196

MTU #95

???

Albedo #2

Amazing Spiderman #300

Avengers #196

Batman Adventures #12

DC Comics Presents #26

Marvel Premiere #15, 47

Marvel Team-Up #95

Ms. Marvel #1

New Mutants #87, #98

Swamp Thing #37

X-Factor #6

X-Force #2, #11

It's amazing that someone put a list where tmnt 1 and XFORCE 2 are on the same list

:acclaim:

You sell labels jim, not books, and you can't even see the books in your listings - get a life.

You wouldn't know a HG book from a hole in the ground. lol

Just out of curiosity, would you guarantee that numerical grade if someone bought it and sent it straight into CGC without a press?

You sell labels jim, not books, and you can't even see the books in your listings - get a life.

Just out of curiosity, would you guarantee that numerical grade if someone bought it and sent it straight into CGC without a press?

I guarantee the grade of every book I sell. I think I've had two returns in over 12 years and 10,000 sales. ;) And those were many years ago.

And even you know there are still many variables in this statement, "if someone bought it and sent it straight into CGC without a press?"

I guarantee the grade of every book I sell. I think I've had two returns in over 12 years and 10,000 sales. ;) And those were many years ago.

And even you know there are still many variables in this statement, "if someone bought it and sent it straight into CGC without a press?"

I wasn't trying to bait you, I was sincerely curious.