• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

I think it's time for Diva D to stop using the number scale on his books. Book after book being touted as a 9.8 or 9.6 and they are not. I would be shocked if you had any return customers on ebay. (even though with 5 shill accounts it makes it harder to do so)

I think he can do whatever he wants, but I think it's risky in the sense that most of the books I've seen I would not agree with the grade just from looking at the scans. A book can look a lot different in hand, which on EBay can be both good and bad.

It's not that risky. Most ebay buyers can't grade very well. It's a long established Ebay business model: Overgrade, accept completely refunded returns, but count on the fact that most buyers will never return anything overgraded either b/c they don't know or they don't care given the amount of money and the hassle of returning.

I suppose you're right, the reward far outweighs the risk when you break it down that way.

Plus you can just come here and "Grading is subjective! Hard to grade from scans!!"

It's a sweet copy. (Unlike some of the junk sold here on the boards). :cool:

Im not a professional by any means but if I got that copy in the mail I wouldn't be happy. Dinged up corner and noticeable spine issues. No chance at that being a 9.8 from even the most generous of graders.

Well he only claims it to be a 9.6 but after looking at the scans I don't think even a 9.6 is in the realm of possibility.

That's part of the reason he doesn't sell those raw books here with those grades. More suckers on Ebay.

That book isn't even 9.4. A 9.2 would be super generous.

Quoted for absolute truth...I promised I wouldn't say anything, but I can comment on other peoples posts.

I was beginning to think that 4 major spine creases is acceptable in the 9.6 grade.

Jim

I think it's time for Diva D to stop using the number scale on his books. Book after book being touted as a 9.8 or 9.6 and they are not. I would be shocked if you had any return customers on ebay. (even though with 5 shill accounts it makes it harder to do so)

I think he can do whatever he wants, but I think it's risky in the sense that most of the books I've seen I would not agree with the grade just from looking at the scans. A book can look a lot different in hand, which on EBay can be both good and bad.

It's not that risky. Most ebay buyers can't grade very well. It's a long established Ebay business model: Overgrade, accept completely refunded returns, but count on the fact that most buyers will never return anything overgraded either b/c they don't know or they don't care given the amount of money and the hassle of returning.

I suppose you're right, the reward far outweighs the risk when you break it down that way.

Plus you can just come here and "Grading is subjective! Hard to grade from scans!!"

Would you agree it's fair to say that most people here who've submitted enough books to CGC have a pretty decent idea of what a 9.8 looks like? Gift grades aside.

Would you agree it's fair to say that most people here who've submitted enough books to CGC have a pretty decent idea of what a 9.8 looks like? Gift grades aside.

I won't speak for Tranny, but I would agree.

Jim

Im not a professional by any means but if I got that copy in the mail I wouldn't be happy. Dinged up corner and noticeable spine issues. No chance at that being a 9.8 from even the most generous of graders.

Well he only claims it to be a 9.6 but after looking at the scans I don't think even a 9.6 is in the realm of possibility.

That's part of the reason he doesn't sell those raw books here with those grades. More suckers on Ebay.

Quoted for absolute truth...I promised I wouldn't say anything, but I can comment on other peoples posts.

I was beginning to think that 4 major spine creases is acceptable in the 9.6 grade.

Jim

It was for the Iron Man #55 my LCS submitted a couple of months back. The owner and I had it pegged at 8.5, maybe a 9.0. It came back 9.6 which meant monies for him :whee:

Edited by kimik

Jim

And if that's the case, the same people would probably have a good idea of what they would call a 9.8 raw within reason. And if they know this and label something a 9.8 which realistically isn't...would that be considered a little on the shady side?

Jim

It was for the Iron Man #55 my LCS submitted a couple of months back. The owner and I had it pegged at 8.5, maybe a 9.0. It came back 9.6 which meant monies for him :whee:

The white cover on that one probably helped. No "color break" on white covers.

On the Sandman book in the link, the spine stress is color breaking.

Jim

The white cover on that one probably helped. No "color break" on white covers.

On the Sandman book in the link, the spine stress is color breaking.

No, the IM #55 had great centering so the spine creases were noticeable along the left side of the dark part of the cover image. Every now and then a book slips through and my LCS was fortunate that it was this one in the sumbmission. (thumbs u

Edited by kimik

Jim

And if that's the case, the same people would probably have a good idea of what they would call a 9.8 raw within reason. And if they know this and label something a 9.8 which realistically isn't...would that be considered a little on the shady side?

I don't wanna speak for everybody, but I'm pretty sure that is what we are all getting at.

:thumbsup:

Jim

Jim

To be fair, occasionally CGC's grading is as bad as Divad's. I sold a raw Silver Age book as a VG a few months ago, the customer submitted it and it came back as a 6.0. It was truly appalling grading by them and a good demonstration of the fact that sometimes they're just plain wrong.

To be fair, occasionally CGC's grading is as bad as Divad's. I sold a raw Silver Age book as a VG a few months ago, the customer submitted it and it came back as a 6.0. It was truly appalling grading by them and a good demonstration of the fact that sometimes they're just plain wrong.

It happens. No grading system is 100% correct all the time when they have to go through the volume of books that they do. Lucky for my LCS that the book that slipped through was the most valuable of the submission.

I'm lost now. ???

If you accusing me of overgrading, then I'm going to link you to someone else's unrelated ebay listing, who has much lower volume but still perfect feedback. That sufficiently sums up my argument, thank you very much.

Case closed!

Edited by Revat