• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

Where is this free cardboard?

Offices & retail stores.

Furniture stores are good, too. The boxes are a little large, but they are always double-layer, and often triple-layer, cardboard.

I once sent three comics in a recliner box. I spent $8,376 on packing peanuts :frustrated:

:lol:

-slym

Oh, and there's no way, with the way I pack, to ship First Class. It almost always ends up being 12-13 ounces, even for one book.

First Class has a 13 ounce limit.

Hence, the post. Voila!

The best thing about having your brother on these boards is that he can come and tell everyone what a bonehead you are.

:cloud9:

Oh ok, So I'm a bone for saying that first class mail has a 13 ounce limit...Looks like I'm not the only bonehead around here .At least I post facts.

You're a bone? You're a lot of bones!

The "12-13 ounces" in my post should have been the giveaway. When you're already at the limit with one book, it doesn't make much sense to not just ship Priority.

^^

With all this money you're making to be able to ship priority, you're probably funding ISIS too.

Offices & retail stores.

Furniture stores are good, too. The boxes are a little large, but they are always double-layer, and often triple-layer, cardboard.

-slym

I once sent three comics in a recliner box. I spent $8,376 on packing peanuts :frustrated:

You joke, but I actually received an X-Men #1 many years ago in a box the size of a small chair! lol

Kept me in peanuts for months.

Offices & retail stores.

-slym

You joke, but I actually received an X-Men #1 many years ago in a box the size of a small chair! lol

Kept me in peanuts for months.

I received a Chew #1 CGC 9.8 in a box the size of a small refrigerator.

I refused delivery, and had the postman return it to the post office.

The next day at the post office I had a supervisor watch me open the box.

One slab, a lot of newspaper, and a big azz box.

Oh, and there's no way, with the way I pack, to ship First Class. It almost always ends up being 12-13 ounces, even for one book.

First Class has a 13 ounce limit.

Hence, the post. Voila!

The best thing about having your brother on these boards is that he can come and tell everyone what a bonehead you are.

:cloud9:

Oh ok, So I'm a bone for saying that first class mail has a 13 ounce limit...Looks like I'm not the only bonehead around here .At least I post facts.

You're a bone? You're a lot of bones!

The "12-13 ounces" in my post should have been the giveaway. When you're already at the limit with one book, it doesn't make much sense to not just ship Priority.

^^

With all this money you're making to be able to ship priority, you're probably funding ISIS too.

You're such a bonehead.

lol

Just make sure you use stiff cardboard, with room to spare all around! I would use the regular flat rate envelopes; you can get pre-cut cardboard that fits perfectly. The stiffer, the better. The padded is too loosey goosey, and that's how corners get damaged.

Out of curiousity where do you obtain the "pre-cut cardboard that fits perfectly"?

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-342-comic-fillers.aspx

I have explored using something similar to this, but I want a 9 x 12 sheet of cardboard and I have yet to find them. If I could I would probably buy a ton just for the sheer convience. I can find close to that size, but I want a full inch all around the book.

Just make sure you use stiff cardboard, with room to spare all around! I would use the regular flat rate envelopes; you can get pre-cut cardboard that fits perfectly. The stiffer, the better. The padded is too loosey goosey, and that's how corners get damaged.

Out of curiousity where do you obtain the "pre-cut cardboard that fits perfectly"?

You have to buy it. Uline sells it, but I get it from a local guy who owns a postal services store, at about half the price. It's 9" x 12", pre-cut.

Now that's perfect.

Offices & retail stores.

-slym

Last month we purchased a new washer & dryer. They deliver and install. When the truck pulled up. I notice they had several cardboard boxes that the dryers and washers were in. I ask the two guys mind if I have some of that cardboard? They let me have it all. :cloud9:

This stuff was so thick I had to cut it with my utility knife.

Edited by Fastballspecial

You have to buy it. Uline sells it, but I get it from a local guy who owns a postal services store, at about half the price. It's 9" x 12", pre-cut.

Now that's perfect.

Yea, check Uline. They also sell so you can get cross cut pieces. Even harder to bend a sandwich.

My gf always gives me when I grab spare boxes. Wait till I show her how many more crazies there are!

(When I say gf I mean Real Doll)

If only there was a store that received products every week in sturdy boxes that can be cut up in under 30 seconds to proper size.

If only those stores also carried comic books and had to throw those boxes away every week.

You guys are crazy.

Offices & retail stores.

Last month we purchased a new washer & dryer. They deliver and install. When the truck pulled up. I notice they had several cardboard boxes that the dryers and washers were in. I ask the two guys mind if I have some of that cardboard? They let me have it all. :cloud9:

This stuff was so think I had to cut it with my utility knife.

Yeah, that's about the only drawback for cutting my own sheets - cardboard dulls the blades of my utility knife rapidly, and the double-layer makes them dull even quicker.

-slym

Papermart. About $117 shipped for 600 sheets of 8.5 x 11 200# cardboard. I used to cut my own cardboard. My time is worth 20 cents a sheet.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-342-comic-fillers.aspx

I have explored using something similar to this, but I want a 9 x 12 sheet of cardboard and I have yet to find them. If I could I would probably buy a ton just for the sheer convience. I can find close to that size, but I want a full inch all around the book.

Papermart. Item 261129. Each "bundle" is $11.

Papermart. About $117 shipped for 600 sheets of 8.5 x 11 200# cardboard. I used to cut my own cardboard. My time is worth 20 cents a sheet.

I have nothing but time, and very little money. If that ever changes, at least I know now where to go!

(thumbs u

-slym

I'm getting the 9 x 12s for 26 cents each, and they're just a bit bigger. Yay!

You know what they say about comic fanboys with bigger cardboard..........

Well, I send out 1-2 comics via 1st Class, in a 10x13" envelope. With the comics, cardboard, and a layer of bubblewrap, it just does fit in the envelope. The 9" width would make using bubblewrap impossible, and I have had no complaints whatsoever. Using the FRPM envelopes, I could understand using the larger cardboard, but even with 8-1/2" x 11", I get almost a full inch between the corner of the cardboard & the corner of the bag&board.

Not saying mine is better, mind you. I just have to make it work with what I have.

:)

-slym

You know what they say about comic fanboys with bigger cardboard..........

...they have duller blades?

:lol: hm:(

-slym

Ahem, remember who turned you on to that . . . ;)

Great information. Thank you! (thumbs u