• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

FD,

Buy these http://affinitycollectibles.com/comic-flash-mailers.html you don't even need bubble wrap or foam peanuts, and cost less than $1 and holds up to a half dozen books at a time. Then print out a shipping label first class if it's just 1 comic sold, costs $2.73 through ebay for up to 13 ounces, then drop it in the mailbox on the street. Sellers need to learn how to mail as cheap as possible. Priority isn't the only method that can be used.

Some sellers use priority because the less time a book spends in transit under the control of the USPS the better. Also with priority your buyer gets the book anywhere from the next day to 3 days later at most. Buyers really appreciate getting a book only a few days after ordering it and sellers like knowing that they are free and clear of a transaction just a couple of days after they've gotten payment.

Since you seem to be so knowledgeable about marketing on eBay, one would think you would understand the benefit of superior customer service. Said service coming at what any regular comic book buyer would view as a negligible difference in price between first class and priority. A buyer will quickly forget about the 2 extra dollars they paid for shipping when the book they bought on Tuesday ends up in their mailbox on Thursday.

Just popping my head in here for a second. Isn't there an option for the seller to create multiple shipping options for the buyer to chose from? When selling on ebay I always gave the option for 1st class up to 2 books. I'm sorry, but when buying a $5 book the difference between paying $2.75 for first class or doubling the shipping to nearly $6.00 for priority, which is more than the cost of the book, is significant.

Great customer service, in my mind, is giving the buyer as many options as reasonably possible.

Yes there is that option. But as Donut already touched on it, using priority streamlines everything for the seller. And one of the ways to get around a buyer's reluctance to pay five or six dollars for priority shipping on a five dollar book is to allow for combined shipping. You can fit 6 individually double bagged and boarded books comfortably in a padded flat rate priority envelope. If I'm going to spend my time selling books for five dollars or less on eBay, I better be selling more than one book to a buyer, otherwise its most likely not worth the time or effort.

If I'm going to spend my time selling books for five dollars or less on eBay, I better be selling more than one book to a buyer, otherwise its most likely not worth the time or effort.

But that's not up to the seller...

:(

-slym

Just make sure you use stiff cardboard, with room to spare all around! I would use the regular flat rate envelopes; you can get pre-cut cardboard that fits perfectly. The stiffer, the better. The padded is too loosey goosey, and that's how corners get damaged.

I'm not new and I really do wish that there was a "discuss specific ebay listings/sellers" thread. Nothing better than looking through 4 pages of people arguing over who is a better ebay seller.

Especially since they are not as good as me....... lol

:jokealert:

You? Good? You can't even sell NMs for more than VGs. :baiting:

Which, of course, goes back to the "luck" part of eBay that people mentioned earlier. Identical listings (other than grade, obviously) run at the same time by the same seller end with crazy results.

Oh, and there's no way, with the way I pack, to ship First Class. It almost always ends up being 12-13 ounces, even for one book.

I can get one comic with two pieces of double-thickness cardboard sandwiching it, wrapped in bubble-wrap, in a 10x13" envelope, at ~10 ounces. Two comics, right at (but just below) 13 ounces. The cardboard is large enough to give at least 3/4" of room at each corner, and I have seen my mailman just toss these packages, literally, into the back of his jeep, with no damage and all buyers are kept happy.

-slym

Anybody that doesn't think there is significance randomness to auction prices is retarded.

Why? It's an auction. You take your chances. Nothing messed up about it. That's commerce. Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. If you want to get your price and take the randomness out of it, then set a BIN (shrug)

Me fail reading comprehension? That's unpossible :facepalm:

Edited by Jeffro™

I despise u but :golfclap:

This is my new favorite quote. I will try to use it in conversation whenever possible.

That's going to be odd in real life conversation. "I despise you, but golfclap.gif."

lol

Missed this first time around.

lol

Yeah, that's pretty funny. lol

Anybody that doesn't think there is significance randomness to auction prices is retarded.

Why? It's an auction. You take your chances. Nothing messed up about it. That's commerce. Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. If you want to get your price and take the randomness out of it, then set a BIN (shrug)

At which point was I making an argument for or against auctions/bins? I'm fully aware of the luck involved in auctions.

FD,

Buy these http://affinitycollectibles.com/comic-flash-mailers.html you don't even need bubble wrap or foam peanuts, and cost less than $1 and holds up to a half dozen books at a time. Then print out a shipping label first class if it's just 1 comic sold, costs $2.73 through ebay for up to 13 ounces, then drop it in the mailbox on the street. Sellers need to learn how to mail as cheap as possible. Priority isn't the only method that can be used.

Some sellers use priority because the less time a book spends in transit under the control of the USPS the better. Also with priority your buyer gets the book anywhere from the next day to 3 days later at most. Buyers really appreciate getting a book only a few days after ordering it and sellers like knowing that they are free and clear of a transaction just a couple of days after they've gotten payment.

Since you seem to be so knowledgeable about marketing on eBay, one would think you would understand the benefit of superior customer service. Said service coming at what any regular comic book buyer would view as a negligible difference in price between first class and priority. A buyer will quickly forget about the 2 extra dollars they paid for shipping when the book they bought on Tuesday ends up in their mailbox on Thursday.

This. We're on a roll now. ;)

FD,

Just popping my head in here for a second. Isn't there an option for the seller to create multiple shipping options for the buyer to chose from? When selling on ebay I always gave the option for 1st class up to 2 books. I'm sorry, but when buying a $5 book the difference between paying $2.75 for first class or doubling the shipping to nearly $6.00 for priority, which is more than the cost of the book, is significant.

Great customer service, in my mind, is giving the buyer as many options as reasonably possible.

I seriously try to avoid selling $5 books, if I can help it . . . :grin:

Just make sure you use stiff cardboard, with room to spare all around! I would use the regular flat rate envelopes; you can get pre-cut cardboard that fits perfectly. The stiffer, the better. The padded is too loosey goosey, and that's how corners get damaged.

Silly boy, take your finished FR package and put it inside a Padded FR with even more cardboard. ;)

Oh, and there's no way, with the way I pack, to ship First Class. It almost always ends up being 12-13 ounces, even for one book.

True dat, my single book packs are pushing 2 lbs. Cardboard is free and I hoard the heavyweight stuff. :)

At which point was I making an argument for or against auctions/bins? I'm fully aware of the luck involved in auctions.

doh! Nevermind. I misread your post for some odd reason. I'm a insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Retract, abort, Danger Will Robinson!! :ohnoez:

Honestly, I must be a complete bonehead lol:tonofbricks:

Where is this free cardboard?

Depends where (or if) you work.

I know some pikers who will just go pull cardboard out of Dumpsters, and then complain when their house is crawling with Silverfish.

I know another guy that works in a very large printing factory, and is able to bring home bubble wrap and cardboard all day long.

Some people are in situations where they have easy access to quality cardboard.

If you look around at work, regardless of your job, you might be surprised at what kind of useful packing supplies you find. Or if you're on good terms with someone that works in certain retail environments where they have so much cardboard that they consider it a nuisance. Before I was buying skids of custom cut cardboard from a local box manufacturer, I used to go over to the 24 Hour pharmacy I live next to and ask them. They don't have much to do at night other than stock the shelves, so they were always happy to grab some boxes for me. Plus I would always make a point to be nice to everyone when I was in the store.

Cardboard is cheap and easy. I find the bubble wrap to be more expensive, and harder to free-source.

Out of curiousity where do you obtain the "pre-cut cardboard that fits perfectly"?