• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

I've never been an envelope guy, but it is tempting. How many sheets of #200 cardboard do you need to make a Priority Mail envelope safe (really safe) for a book? One or two?

I'd say it's about what envelope you use as much as the cardboard.

I use the uline rigiboard envelopes, 1 piece of cardboard that is about 1/4 inch bigger than the comic on all sides, and a piece of chip-board on the other side that is an inch bigger than the cardboard on all sides..

I've had address not found come full country (from NJ to Cali and back)

It was at the PO and on trucks for 60 days, and was returned to my door. The outside looked like it had been stomped on and just treated like trash.

The 3 comics inside were still as minty clean and un-damaged as the day I sent them out.

They're not cheap, but IMO they are worth every penny.

Edited by Pete Marino

What a bunch of "packers"

You've all officially ruined this gold mine of a thread for me.

:lol:

10+ pages of cardboard and packing instructions in the what's hot in copper thread.

Copper has died and investing in cardboard is the place to be.

Mark my words

Just make sure you use stiff cardboard, with room to spare all around! I would use the regular flat rate envelopes; you can get pre-cut cardboard that fits perfectly. The stiffer, the better. The padded is too loosey goosey, and that's how corners get damaged.

Out of curiousity where do you obtain the "pre-cut cardboard that fits perfectly"?

Papermart. About $117 shipped for 600 sheets of 8.5 x 11 200# cardboard. I used to cut my own cardboard. My time is worth 20 cents a sheet.

I'm getting the 9 x 12s for 26 cents each, and they're just a bit bigger. Yay!

You know what they say about comic fanboys with bigger cardboard..........

What does that say about this Fanboy who actually owns a cardboard factory :sorry:

BTW I come to this board to get away from cardboard talk between the hours of 9:00 to 3:00

Jim

Just make sure you use stiff cardboard, with room to spare all around! I would use the regular flat rate envelopes; you can get pre-cut cardboard that fits perfectly. The stiffer, the better. The padded is too loosey goosey, and that's how corners get damaged.

Out of curiousity where do you obtain the "pre-cut cardboard that fits perfectly"?

Papermart. About $117 shipped for 600 sheets of 8.5 x 11 200# cardboard. I used to cut my own cardboard. My time is worth 20 cents a sheet.

I'm getting the 9 x 12s for 26 cents each, and they're just a bit bigger. Yay!

You know what they say about comic fanboys with bigger cardboard..........

What does that say about this Fanboy who actually owns a cardboard factory :sorry:

BTW I come to this board to get away from cardboard talk between the hours of 9:00 to 3:00

Jim

There is a huge captive market here. What is the best price you can give on the packing boards and mailing supplies?

I've never been an envelope guy, but it is tempting. How many sheets of #200 cardboard do you need to make a Priority Mail envelope safe (really safe) for a book? One or two?

Four.

Two will fit snugly, and you cut down the other two an inch or so, and then put these two outside the first two, so that there's no movement in the envelope, . Unless someone sits on it, or otherwise applies other point pressure, it's pretty impervious, so long as the books are secured solidly in the middle.

Four.

Two will fit snugly, and you cut down the other two an inch or so, and then put these two outside the first two, so that there's no movement in the envelope, . Unless someone sits on it, or otherwise applies other point pressure, it's pretty impervious, so long as the books are secured solidly in the middle.

(thumbs u Thanks!

Four.

That's way too much work and wasted time, the boxes I recommended are much better and faster.

Four.

That's way too much work and wasted time, the boxes I recommended are much better and faster.

I suspect not, but ok. Whatever method works for you.

Four.

This is correct. Cutting the other two board by just a little makes them fit nicely.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Four.

I suspect not, but ok. Whatever method works for you.

Ive gotten those boxes from sellers and for the most part they do work well. I have had some occasionally damage to books, but they are usually due to the seller not securing the books better.

The box version you recommend I haven't seen as many of. Most of the time I get those Uline fold ups that do work pretty well. I have occasionally had some delivered with damage, but it has been very few.

To be honest though, if I am shipping a raw book that is pretty valuable I am still going to use a cardboard sandwich. You just cant beat it if you pack it right.

Edited by Fastballspecial

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-342-comic-fillers.aspx

I have explored using something similar to this, but I want a 9 x 12 sheet of cardboard and I have yet to find them. If I could I would probably buy a ton just for the sheer convience. I can find close to that size, but I want a full inch all around the book.

Papermart. Item 261129. Each "bundle" is $11.

FD,

Please forgive my ignorance here, but I have looked at those before. Aren't those measurements the wrong way? Unless I am reading that backwards I need a 9W and 12H. It looks they say its 12W by 9H.

I have explored using something similar to this, but I want a 9 x 12 sheet of cardboard and I have yet to find them. If I could I would probably buy a ton just for the sheer convience. I can find close to that size, but I want a full inch all around the book.

FD,

Please forgive my ignorance here, but I have looked at those before. Aren't those measurements the wrong way? Unless I am reading that backwards I need a 9W and 12H. It looks they say its 12W by 9H.

Rotate it 90°

FD,

Rotate it 90°

:idea:

I have to admit, if that's the way it goes, I wouldn't want them. The "grain" needs to run vertically, so if it gets bent, it doesn't crease the spine. Of course, when I cut my own, I will usually cut an equal number of pieces with the "grain" running both ways, for protection from bending in both directions. I always use at least one piece of double-layer when I have it, BTW, and that's the one with the "grain" running vertically.

-slym

I have to admit, if that's the way it goes, I wouldn't want them. The "grain" needs to run vertically, so if it gets bent, it doesn't crease the spine. Of course, when I cut my own, I will usually cut an equal number of pieces with the "grain" running both ways, for protection from bending in both directions. I always use at least one piece of double-layer when I have it, BTW, and that's the one with the "grain" running vertically.

-slym

+1

Cardboard bends much more easily along the grain. Common sense.

So anything hot? (except NM98) hm

Not yet, but…

Eternal Warrior #4 or Rai #0?

Which is the one to get now?

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/leaked-sonys-release-dates-includes-sinister-six-and-new-spider-man

Maybe I'm not high enough, but how can you speculate on Bloodshot when the same lists says Sony is making a Men in Black 21 Jump Street crossover.

This sony hack feels more like people smoking crack than real news.