• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

It's not my first time at the eBay rodeo.

Here's the listing.

Curious as to how I messed it up.

U didnt mess anything up. That is exactly the reason why I dont do 0.99 auctions. It was just a bad day/timing, mess happens.

Look everyone has their own way of selling comics, some sell them BIN some auction and BIN and start kinda high, some grade and sell, some sign grade and.. see where this is going?

Look at it like this, you made 10+ bucks on a comic that was a dud last month. Next..

Well, then I guess I just don't get these specu-books.

Your ebay auction is essentially an ad. You don't just "throw something up on ebay" and expect the auction to do well.

Couldnt disagree more. Ive seen ebay listings that had bold fonts 2x descriptions and categories and ended up like a trainwreck. And on the flip side, I CONSTANTLY see trainwreck listings/sellers that are making a killing. Sure, eBay brings you buyers, but thats why they charge you all these fees, so you dont have to advertise and hussle.

Your ebay auction is essentially an ad. You don't just "throw something up on ebay" and expect the auction to do well.

Couldnt disagree more. Ive seen ebay listings that had bold fonts 2x descriptions and categories and ended up like a trainwreck. And on the flip side, I CONSTANTLY see trainwreck listings/sellers that are making a killing. Sure, eBay brings you buyers, but thats why they charge you all these fees, so you dont have to advertise and hussle.

Bold fonts don't work,Chief. I sold on ebay an ASM 607 9.8 started the auction no reserve at .99 cents, The auction ended at $240.00. No bold fonts, 5 day auction, and nothing else extra. I know exactly how to get to the top of ebay search on each and every book I list, which is a big key on how to sell on ebay. That ASM 607 was just one example. So I couldn't disagree more with your opinion.

It doesn't matter what you do, in my experience. It's all luck. I've sold the same condition non-key book in consecutive weeks with a $25+ difference multiple times this year. Sometimes the lower grade does much better than the higher grade that was listed a few weeks prior. Same with lower value books...take She-Hulk #60. I've sold 6 of them in the past few months.

$10.50

$15.95

$1.99

$10.01

$4.51

$6.51

That's all over the place for a low-dollar book. Nothing changed on how I list. Same big scans, same description, same low shipping charge. Sometimes the 9.2 would sell more than the 9.4, and so on. It's all luck.

It's also not just comics. Action figures, video games, etc. It's happened a LOT this year, so I don't get upset at it anymore. I just sigh and move on to the next batch of auctions. :)

Peace,

Chip

It's all luck.

It's also not just comics. Action figures, video games, etc. It's happened a LOT this year, so I don't get upset at it anymore. I just sigh and move on to the next batch of auctions. :)

Peace,

Chip

It's called marketing, not luck.

Here's the listing.

$5.90 for shipping a raw book???

Yeah, I'm sure the $1.91 difference in shipping cost between mine and Chip's auction is the reason for $32.00 difference in realized price. :eyeroll:

Your title could have been better as well as your description.

Title includes comic issue title, issue number, year of issue, publisher, grade - both numeric and letter, appearances. The description has all that plus creator credits and defect specifics for the grade, my method of packing and return policy.

How specifically is that deficient?

Here's the listing.

Yeah, I'm sure the $1.91 difference in shipping cost between mine and Chip's auction is the reason for $32.00 difference in realized price. :eyeroll:

Title includes comic issue title, issue number, year of issue, publisher, grade - both numeric and letter, appearances. The description has all that plus creator credits and defect specifics for the grade, my method of packing and return policy.

Cause of the way ebay's search engine works. yes, $1.91 is a big difference to a buyer, why should someone buy your copy of Legends 3 over someone else's?

Bold fonts don't work,Chief. I sold on ebay an ASM 607 9.8 started the auction no reserve at .99 cents, The auction ended at $240.00. No bold fonts, 5 day auction, and nothing else extra. I know exactly how to get to the top of ebay search on each and every book I list, which is a big key on how to sell on ebay. That ASM 607 was just one example. So I couldn't disagree more with your opinion.

You wanna prove that marketing is key by selling... A graded comic???

Brother me, when you have an Amazing Spider Man # 607 CGC NM 9.8 you dont need anything else but placing it in the right category and clicking list now.

Sure you may wanna write name of artist or writer, or year and month, maybe name of publisher, but all that has no affect on the closing price 99 percent of the time.

I can think of a million things that can affect the closing bid of an auction. "advertising" your listing isnt one of them

It's all luck.

Peace,

Chip

It's called marketing, not luck.

I agree completely. You can't just list books in the basic auction format and expect them to yield high sales prices. It may work on occasion, but generally not. Detail the book in the description, put emphasis on the positives, put up large scans both in ebay and in the ad, set your starting bid at what you yourself would buy the book for and set your BIN 30% higher. Yes, it's not going to sell right away, but be patient. Unless you're paying your mortgage or feeding your family on the returns, then you're in no rush - it's called a "collection".

Here's the listing.

Your listing is fine, not great, but well enough to determine that the book was a steal at current market value. I bet the buyer has already flipped the book for 3-4 times what you got for it. What's your hurry? Do it right the first time. Like I've said before, I've had books take 2 years to sell.

Here's the listing.

Nothing wrong much with your auction. I would offer 1st class shipping. Buyers are resistant to flat rate shipping. Those who don't believe that don't offer it and wonder why they don't see more individual sales.

It was an auction. You got 7 days (give or take) to hope buyers are actively looking, like your TOS and are acceptable with your shipping terms. Yes marketing helps as well as a buying clientele.

If you don't have both don't do auctions. Otherwise most of the time you end up on the short stick.

I charge $9 to ship a raw book, and it gets there in the exact same condition it left my hands.

I get hammered on my cost DSR, but I don't give a flat damn.

Besides, that price is the same whether you buy 1 or 100.

I gotta ask your rationale here. I don't doubt its not packed great, but you gotta admit that does cause buyers to shy away some. Especially if they haven't bought from you before.

Everybody complains about secure packing and fast shipping.....until it comes time to pay for it.

Yes I agree, but when you have a new buyer looking he doesn't know that difference unless you spell it out. The increase in cost shys them away. You can bet some filter by cost as well.

Not trying to being judgemental just pointing that out.

Your listing to me looks fine. Auctions can bring new highs, but more often then not they bring lower results except for sellers with large buying clientele and an established auction presence weekly or monthly.

Edited by Fastballspecial