• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

Census Numbers -

Solar #10

9.8 - 55 total

9.6 - 213 total

Helps explain the price differential.

Right.

I'd also contend that the underlying reason that the 1 to 4 ratio of 9.8's to 9.6''s exists is largely due to the problems that plague black, embossed covers.

Which is....?

At the risk of angering the folks insisting on sticking to the 'Comics Heating Up' main topic (of which I'm actually usually in favor as well), really out of curiosity, I'd like to further the discussion a bit on the subject of cameo appearances and where that line ends with a particular situation....

Does anyone recall the "Justice Is Served" storyline in Captain America? It started as these out-of-the-blue assassination "cameo" incidents of C-string villains across several different Marvel titles over the course of several months before the full-blown storyline hit shops. It was a very cool fresh SUBTLE intriguing cross-company concept at the time I thought. Anyway, considering the importance and frequency of those incidents, in hindsight, would they still be considered "cameo" appearances by the "Justice is served!" guy? Is this perhaps just an exception to the rule due to the nature and execution of that storyline? Just interested in people's thoughts on it as it is a favorite storyline of mine from my childhood..... hm

Edited by dane323

At the risk of angering the folks insisting on sticking to the 'Comics Heating Up' main topic (of which I'm actually usually in favor as well), really out of curiosity, I'd like to further the discussion a bit on the subject of cameo appearances and where that line ends with a particular situation....

Does anyone recall the "Justice Is Served" storyline in Captain America? It started as these out-of-the-blue assassination "cameo" incidents of C-string villains across several different Marvel titles over the course of several months before the full-blown storyline hit shops. It was a very cool fresh SUBTLE intriguing cross-company concept at the time I thought. Anyway, considering the importance and frequency of those incidents, in hindsight, would they still be considered "cameo" appearances by the "Justice is served!" guy? Is this perhaps just an exception to the rule due to the nature and execution of that storyline? Just interested in people's thoughts on it as it is a favorite storyline of mine from my childhood..... hm

The Scourge of the Underworld was not a unique character.

EDIT: To expand on that, the Scourge was captured by Captain America after the massacre at the Bar with No Name. He was then shot and killed by someone with a familiar catchphrase ("Justice is served!", obviously) when he was about to talk.

As far as first appearance discussion goes, the only thing really relevant for the Scourge is when we first see the costume.

Edited by Lazyboy

I can't think of a single Valiant book, especially pre-unity, that gets decent money in 9.6 at the moment. I think Harbinger 1 will still nab $100 or more but that's it. It's sad the reboot didn't uptick the prices at all.

You are right about Harbinger 1. I would see the limited variants also rank up there, like Archer & Armstrong 0 Gold, Bloodshot 0 Platinum (production error), Chaos Effect Alpha Red and Unity 0 Red. I think all the others just sit if they are 9.6, no matter how pretty they are.

Now if that Archer & Armstrong movie truly moves forward, and if done right, they may start to rise again.

i think it's either time to close the thread or re-title this one. I'm counting four different discussions here. :lol:

It'll get back on the rails eventually. I'm more irritated that someone resurrected the damned apostrophe.

I commend the RMAesque structuring of your posts.

Admit it.

You missed me.

I have been nothing but laudatory. I think you're finally realizing I'm not trying to pick a fight. I want to think happy thoughts. Too much bad out there as it is. Heck, if I could get into any of the positions and get myself off the floor once I get down there I'd start taking Yoga.

Census Numbers -

Solar #10

9.8 - 55 total

9.6 - 213 total

Helps explain the price differential.

Right.

I'd also contend that the underlying reason that the 1 to 4 ratio of 9.8's to 9.6''s exists is largely due to the problems that plague black, embossed covers.

In mid-2009, the ratio was closer to 7 CGC 9.6s for every 1 CGC 9.8 on Solar #10. (20 in 9.8 vs. 140 in 9.6)

Since mid-2009, it's 34 in 9.8 vs. 61 in 9.6.

I'd venture to guess that the grading has loosened and that MANY of those 140 copies from 2009 and earlier 9.6s would be 9.8s on a resubmission.

The book is embossed, so I don't think a press would help... it would flatten the embossing. hm

$30 to $50 for pre-2010 graded CGC 9.6 Solar #10 is probably a bigger bargain than it already appears

(as mentioned in this discussion) if they are just current 9.8s sitting in old 9.6 slabs.

Conversely, many Solar #10 CGC 9.8s graded since 2010 are probably what was considered a 9.6 a few years earlier.

From what I have seen, the "tiny fuzzy white" top left corner and light fingerprints are probably being allowed more in 9.8.

I can't think of a single Valiant book, especially pre-unity, that gets decent money in 9.6 at the moment. I think Harbinger 1 will still nab $100 or more but that's it. It's sad the reboot didn't uptick the prices at all.

Limited collecting dollars are going to the new releases, not the back issues. The current titles are pretty good reads for the most part and you don't need to read the back issues to understand what's going on. I know when I started buying Valiant's Magnus and Solar I had no desire to go back to the Gold Key books that preceded them.

Plus the fact that the pre-unity books are essentially two steps removed from the characters being published today, and the fact that two of the best pre-Unity titles, Magnus and Solar, feature characters that are no longer controlled by today's Valiant.

If one or more characters are ever featured in a popular movie or TV series, their back issues may climb as a result, although even then it's not a foregone conclusion. And even if it does bring some heat, it will likely only be for the first appearances or first story arcs, not the entire Valiant/Acclaim runs. Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Shadowman, Rai all debuted pre-Unity. The rest of the current Valiant properties had higher print run debuts, including for Archer & Armstrong, Eternal Warrior, Bloodshot, etc.

Admit it.

You missed me.

I have been nothing but laudatory. I think you're finally realizing I'm not trying to pick a fight. I want to think happy thoughts. Too much bad out there as it is. Heck, if I could get into any of the positions and get myself off the floor once I get down there I'd start taking Yoga.

You're overthinking things.

Admit it.

You missed me.

You're overthinking things.

Having to get up off the ground stresses me out. I had to do some pipe repair work under a sink (basically i rebuilt a pipe that had a hole corroded through it with plumber's putty, silicone caulk and duct tape -- i wonder how long it will be before that stars leaking again?) and I put it off for days as the thought of crawling around on my knees down there gave me agida. 150 pounds overweight, bad knees, crawling = bad combination.

anyway, isn't the black cover also going to be prone to scratches?

I think Solar #10 brings minimal profit at a 9.6 - I think.

*goes to check*

*EDIT* 5 sales, outliers of $30 (low) and $71 (hi) - average of $47 for sold copies of Solar #10 in eBay's records right now. So if you count the time involved, you might not see a profit there...

:shy::eek::sorry:

-slym

Edited by slym2none

I think Solar #10 brings minimal profit at a 9.6 - I think.

*goes to check*

*EDIT* 5 sales, outliers of $30 (low) and $71 (hi) - average of $47 for sold copies of Solar #10 in eBay's records right now. So if you count the time involved, you might not see a profit there...

:shy::eek::sorry:

-slym

And yet that is one of the coolest books of that period to hit the market. I sent one into Joeypost to see what he could do with it. It came back a 9.6 - which I have no complaints in landing that grade. But it is so clean and bright, I assumed it had a shot at 9.8 once 'blessed'.

One of my favorite Valiant books.

Here's one that's flying under the radar, or has been before but is catching on.

I had 3 guys come up to my booth at the last Baltimore Comic Con who were specifically looking for any/all of the Marvel 25th anniversary covers.

Further evidence of this new collecting trend , here's a Thor 373 9.8 with ******46 bids******, which closed at $62.77 plus $15 for shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THOR-373-CGC-9-8-/121553623960?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c4d291b98

I have a raw 9.4 copy, in my press right now...and it's a newsstand.

Slobber, slobber...newsstand 9.8 candidate?! Methinks so.

...(sorry, now back to restraining myself)....

Couple non color breaks on the back cover (which is totally white), it should press out as a 9.8 candidate.

Perchance, if ye doth want it verily so, I say that thee are truly welcome to my offering at a paltry fee.

Ummm, yeah....come to my booth at Carbo's NY con on March 7th and you can have it for a song.I should probably have it graded and sticker a $100+ BIN on it, but to hedge my bets at the show (I'm into the con for upwards of $800+ with 2 tables and traveling expenses), by increasing foot traffic to my table , I'll chalk it up as being part of my $10 inventory boxes and let her go for ten bucks....just take a look at my table and wall books when you pick it up....

Making money and making friends, that's what it's all about ;)

newstand copies of that issue are not going to be all that much harder to find. if anything, at that point in time more newstand copies might have been printed, although maybe not kept.

$63 doesn't seem like a huge amount of money. it has white pages too. it costs how much to get a book slabbed? sure, that's in the upward range of a price for a 9.8 of a generic book, but seriously, how many people are actually slabbing that issue? so if you want to buy it in 9.8 in a slab there isn't a ton out there.

also, the seller "sold" the same slab in december for $26. i guess whoever won that auction decided they didn't want it at that price.

Edited by the blob

Limited collecting dollars are going to the new releases, not the back issues. The current titles are pretty good reads for the most part and you don't need to read the back issues to understand what's going on. I know when I started buying Valiant's Magnus and Solar I had no desire to go back to the Gold Key books that preceded them.

Plus the fact that the pre-unity books are essentially two steps removed from the characters being published today, and the fact that two of the best pre-Unity titles, Magnus and Solar, feature characters that are no longer controlled by today's Valiant.

If one or more characters are ever featured in a popular movie or TV series, their back issues may climb as a result, although even then it's not a foregone conclusion. And even if it does bring some heat, it will likely only be for the first appearances or first story arcs, not the entire Valiant/Acclaim runs. Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Shadowman, Rai all debuted pre-Unity. The rest of the current Valiant properties had higher print run debuts, including for Archer & Armstrong, Eternal Warrior, Bloodshot, etc.

Eventually it will happen.

Marvel and DC universe properties are all taken, so if your Hollywood you look around and you see that these Valiant Comics once sold in the millions, plus had popular video games.

Another thing about these Valiant characters is they were created in the 1990s,so they are fairly modern compared to taking an old character from the 1930s like Doc Savage and trying to update them for a modern audience.

Hey if Rocket Raccoon can become big, then why not the Valiant Universe?

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Further evidence of this new collecting trend , here's a Thor 373 9.8 with ******46 bids******, which closed at $62.77 plus $15 for shipping.

There are books that were released yesterday that would sell for a higher price than 62 dollars and change if slabbed 9.8...