• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,853 posts in this topic

Now, in the interest of ending this "debate" (which is long overdue), I'll make this simple since my previous post was conveniently ignored. Here are a few key points to consider:

Spawn #1 - First appearance of Spawn in story.

Malibu Sun #13 - (Was) the first appearance of Spawn in actual comic book format.

Rust #1 - First appearance of Spawn in a comic book.

Previews #3 - First appearance of Spawn outside of a comic book (not counting the trading card that I've heard mention of).

There is a place for each of these appearances in a collection, depending on personal preference. (A bit less for Malibu Sun #13, though, now that Rust #1 was discovered. But, it still has the cover going for it.)

Spawn #1 can be found anywhere, and in high grade. Naturally, fans will seek out an appearance that predates Spawn #1, particularly if it's not as common. This isn't anything new and it's been done before with other titles/characters. In the end, the market will decide.

Whether this post will have any positive impact, I don't know. Hopefully it will.

Until you get a firm publication date on Crusade of Comics Presents Spawn #1 then you can't say for sure that Rust #1 is now the first appearance of Spawn in a comic book. Some sites list January as the publication date of Crusade of Comics Presents, but it is impossible to know whether that is accurate or was simply done because the actual month was not known.

I opened up a copy of Crusade of Comic Presents Spawn and I cant find anything on a date. Was hoping I could help on this.

zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz

That Crusade mini comic came with the Spawn VHS, and was made way after Spawn #1. If I remember correctly, Todd didn't even do the art on the interior.

Now, in the interest of ending this "debate" (which is long overdue), I'll make this simple since my previous post was conveniently ignored. Here are a few key points to consider:

Spawn #1 - First appearance of Spawn in story.

Malibu Sun #13 - (Was) the first appearance of Spawn in actual comic book format.

Rust #1 - First appearance of Spawn in a comic book.

Previews #3 - First appearance of Spawn outside of a comic book (not counting the trading card that I've heard mention of).

There is a place for each of these appearances in a collection, depending on personal preference. (A bit less for Malibu Sun #13, though, now that Rust #1 was discovered. But, it still has the cover going for it.)

Spawn #1 can be found anywhere, and in high grade. Naturally, fans will seek out an appearance that predates Spawn #1, particularly if it's not as common. This isn't anything new and it's been done before with other titles/characters. In the end, the market will decide.

Whether this post will have any positive impact, I don't know. Hopefully it will.

Until you get a firm publication date on Crusade of Comics Presents Spawn #1 then you can't say for sure that Rust #1 is now the first appearance of Spawn in a comic book. Some sites list January as the publication date of Crusade of Comics Presents, but it is impossible to know whether that is accurate or was simply done because the actual month was not known.

I opened up a copy of Crusade of Comic Presents Spawn and I cant find anything on a date. Was hoping I could help on this.

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=528451

I recall buying the VHS and it being Todd talking about how awesome he is, and it had a good amount of Spawn content. I didn't like the mini comic since at the time Pearson didn't compare to Todd. Regardless, this was literally years after Spawn #1.

I don't think it was years as the facts and illusions set has a date of 1992 on it. The vhs comic set must have packaged after the August SDCC though because that's where the footage is from but I have no idea when the mini comic was published. It's something that definitely warrants further research for Spawn fans.

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=528451

I recall buying the VHS and it being Todd talking about how awesome he is, and it had a good amount of Spawn content. I didn't like the mini comic since at the time Pearson didn't compare to Todd. Regardless, this was literally years after Spawn #1.

I don't think it was years as the facts and illusions set has a date of 1992 on it. The vhs comic set must have packaged after the August SDCC though because that's where the footage is from but I have no idea when the mini comic was published. It's something that definitely warrants further research for Spawn fans.

Mini-Comic measuring 4x7.5 inches and published by Gladstone. It is released as part of the promotional VHS at the August 1992 San Diego Comic Convention, namely "Todd McFarlane's Comic Book 'Facts & Illusions'" and "Todd McFarlane's Lotus". The VHS recorded date is 1993.

Assuming this is correct, http://spawncollection.blogspot.com/2010/01/1993.html

We are debating Spawn...right!

The all art, no story Spawn. The millions of copies of nearly worthless comics (yes I have a bunch) The crappy cartoon and crappy movie Spawn! (And yes I watched them) The I can't believe there is still a comic about this character. And the idea that an add is a first appearance makes it more absurd. I love the debate but man let's choose a better character.

The all art, no story Spawn. The millions of copies of nearly worthless comics (yes I have a bunch) The crappy cartoon and crappy movie Spawn! (And yes I watched them) The I can't believe there is still a comic about this character. And the idea that an add is a first appearance makes it more absurd. I love the debate but man let's choose a better character.

There are truckloads of comics worth less than Spawn #1.

Back at the old LCS, we referred to the comic as Spewn :cloud9:

How do you really feel...? haha

Or, at least put it in the Spawn thread, which IMHO, ranks right up there with the Groo thread. :roflmao:

Or, at least put it in the Spawn thread, which IMHO, ranks right up there with the Groo thread. :roflmao:

:roflmao: