• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

The Platt run 55-60 has always been a good seller. I still own 5 copies of each that I purchased from the racks, well my pull box anyways :insane:

55 and 57 were always the big ones. It seems these books get hot and cold every 5 years or so.

Disregard anyone attempting to sway you, stating their opinion as facts.

Yes, this is always very good advice, no matter how many times it is mentioned.

Quick question, though...would "Results vary widely", with absolutely no definitions or examples of just how "widely" those results "varied", be considered an example of someone presenting their opinion as fact...?

hm

We wouldn't want people to be unduly swayed by mere opinion, after all, right?

The Valiant market was singlehandedly propped up by 5-10 guys from 1998-2002.

Seeing how far the key Valiant books had fallen from their mid-1990s highs, I'm not sure if "propped up" is the right description... unless you mean 5-10 guys set the (now historical) floor prices for certain Valiant books. It wasn't artificially inflated to pay $10 for a book that was once $100. The $100 was the inflate, and the $10 paid by 5-10 guys was the deflate. A book like Harbinger #1 just never went to $5 because there was always a buyer above $5.

Take away a few buyers of any book and the price will fall. It's just that Valiant had a focused, niche market where other similarly "propped up" books in the $10 to $35 range are just "generally sought" by a few people who probably don't know each other. lol

Most of those "propped up" Valiant books were only sold a few, or maybe dozens, of times per year (not hundreds or thousands of sales like most 1990s bubble books), so those 5-10 guys (myself included) were actually "actively competing" for those books on early eBay... we just didn't have to pay anywhere near the original high prices. Prior to CGC, eBay was basically 8.0 to 9.8 raw books all being sold as "near mint" with no one else's opinion but the seller. It was a gamble, even at the lowest prices, for some books due to the possibility of less than true near mint condition.

To my own detriment, I'm sure, I never returned those 8.0 "near mint" books. Most weren't worth the cost of return shipping or the arguing over grading techniques. I just included the experience in "averaging my buys" and lowered my expectations (and bids) on future books.

...and having been on eBay, continually buying Valiant since 1997, it's safe to say that every Valiant comic was available for $12 or less at some point after the 1994 bubble burst... except for one book... Unity #0 Red.

Make that two books: Chaos Effect Alpha Red.

I don't remember precisely, but the 2001 sale of Chaos Effect Alpha Red (CEAR) that was recorded on that archive page I linked showed it sold at $15. It must not have become a "big book" that early, though it is "bigger" than Unity #0 Red now. Fewer copies of CEAR have surfaced in the past 20 years than Unity #0 Red, however, I'm not sure the other qualities (besides scarcity) that make Unity #0 Red an awesome book (story, art, importance, Shooter, BWS) apply to CEAR. The CEAR is just "1990s scarce"... and that's about it. :grin:

Ah the days when we Valiant nerds ran amuke(?) and hoarded Harbinger 1's, 0 pinks, Unity reds and Chaos Alpha Red's. :luhv:

The only Chaos Alpha Red I owned was the one I bought off Dino for $100+. I probably over-paid but how many of you can say you bought something off the CEO of VEI? :whee:

Um.

Just about everyone on the Valiantfans board...?

;)

The real question is, how many people can say they held all 40 copies of the Magnus #0 first fan project?

"amok"

:whee:

I still have mine! Maybe I can get Dino to sign it now that he's a CEO. hm

Thanks for the spell check - amok. (thumbs u

Seeing how far the key Valiant books had fallen from their mid-1990s highs, I'm not sure if "propped up" is the right description...

You know I'm talking about us, right...?

You, me, Pete, Anthony, Dino, etc?

By "propped up", I mean, "made sure Harby #1 didn't sell for 99 cents."

I'm well aware that you drove up bids against me that caused me to pay more for books than I probably should have...and vice versa.

Hell, Greggy practically ran the tables on high grade Bronze on eBay during the same period.

Hitting refresh and watching the Cap 275s disappear. Kudos to whoever grabbed the CGC 9.8 for just over a $100. Well done you d*ck lol

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Comics-/63/i.html?_from=R40&_sop=1&_nkw=captain+america+275&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

**edit- looks like the only copies left are either Mile High, MCS or others who use stock photos. Insane

Edited by Lonzilla

Seeing how far the key Valiant books had fallen from their mid-1990s highs, I'm not sure if "propped up" is the right description...

That's true.

I probably would have "propped them up" even more if people had bid me to my max on a lot of those books.

I would OFTEN win books for below my max, even before automated sniping started.

So... I was willing to pay more, it's just that no one made me. lol

I'm well aware that you drove up bids against me that caused me to pay more for books than I probably should have...and vice versa.

Hell, Greggy practically ran the tables on high grade Bronze on eBay during the same period.

What's the old advice about investing? "Go where they ain't"? That's what some of us crazy kids were doing.

Greggy just gets to cash in earlier than we do because his books are older. :grin:

I'm still working on that overnight-get-rich-quick scheme I've been accused of... since 1997.

Hitting refresh and watching the Cap 275s disappear. Kudos to whoever grabbed the CGC 9.8 for just over a $100. Well done you d*ck lol

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Comics-/63/i.html?_from=R40&_sop=1&_nkw=captain+america+275&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

**edit- looks like the only copies left are either Mile High, MCS or others who use stock photos. Insane

More silly madness.

On a related note, why, why, WHY would anyone sub this??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-America-275-CGC-2-5-GD-Universal-CGC-1002843012-/201056774107?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2ecfeae7db

That's true.

I probably would have "propped them up" even more if people had bid me to my max on a lot of those books.

I would OFTEN win books for below my max, even before automated sniping started.

So... I was willing to pay more, it's just that no one made me. lol

Nice edit per my edit... :whistle:

I wasn't willing to pay more. I was angry that I hadn't bought more in 1991-92, and even angrier when I didn't cash in before everything crashed. Plus, Turok #1.

I *did* manage to sell a complete pre-Unity set to a store for $350 or so in 9/93...which was an absolute fraction of what they had sold for in the spring. If I'd just set up a table somewhere.

I think I bought back my copies from that store in 1997-98 or so for $1 each.

So, I wasn't about to pay a premium for any of these books...and I managed to assemble quite the hoards myself, as you know.

Still have my last 9.8 Harby #1 double signed by Jim and JJ. :cloud9: That was from the Mile High hoard. I wish I'd gotten to that Harby lot that John got a hold of, before he turned it into a project. :cry:

Did you bid on the Petrilak lot, or were you not interested because it was everything? I got an e-mail from someone within minutes of me being the high bid, asking for Turok #47.

What's the old advice about investing? "Go where they ain't"? That's what some of us crazy kids were doing.

Greggy just gets to cash in earlier than we do because his books are older. :grin:

I'm still working on that overnight-get-rich-quick scheme I've been accused of... since 1997.

You can still laugh at me for sitting on (so far) at least 6 9.8 Harby #1s while they were selling for $2500.

:cloud9:

Off to the longboxes for Cap 275 :grin: (thumbs u

Be sure to put "first Captain America" in the auction title so there will be something new to talk about. :gossip:

:kidaround:

I don't think anyone would buy that.

1st Bucky, though...

hm

More silly madness.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-America-275-CGC-2-5-GD-Universal-CGC-1002843012-/201056774107?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2ecfeae7db

W.O.W. :insane:

More silly madness.

W.O.W. :insane:

I have a friend who slabbed the 1st comic he remembered ever getting as a kid that he managed to hold onto, some random issue of Marvel Team-Up that was pretty beat up, came back a 3.0. He just wanted to preserve it. Other than for some sentimental reason I don't get it. But watch some nut job buy it

I'm just waiting for Legends #6 to take off again. It was a helluva book back when the "new" Justice League was hotter than Georgia asphalt in August, and it's wildly undervalued now.

If the "new" incarnation of the SS can get a bump, so can the "new" incarnation of the JL (which was far, far, FAR superior to Suicide Squad...leaps and bounds better. If you've never red Giffen and DeMatteis' JL run...you're missing out, man!)

There has been a lot of relaunches. This one more important then Morrison? Then Giffen? Too many relaunches I think for this book to shine.

Edited by Fastballspecial