• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

If it works now, chances are the prices will only get higher, with time.

Copper age collectors are now dudes in their 30's to early 40's, who now have successful careers, homes etc....i.e.spending money to buy the titles they read as kids in the 80's.

*****Read into this statement as in 2015 , we now have a new generation of collectors who want to collect/pay good money for the books they had as kids.*****

That is KEY in forecasting that copper age willl continue to be a strong part of the comic book hobby/business.As they now have money(oppposed to being broke college kids in 1999 AND factoring in the strong nostalgia factor for their 80-90's childhood comics....the slow but steady pricing trend of heading upwards will continue.

You don't say. :grin:

You know the 80s ended over 25 years ago, right? :baiting:

Yes 25 years ago and 28 days to be exact.

Jim

*****Read into this statement as in 2015 , we now have a new generation of collectors who want to collect/pay good money for the books they had as kids.*****

What do you think happened to the books they had as kids? They probably still have them.

Most of the people who don't still have the comics they had as kids in the 80s and 90s probably no longer care about comics.

Not even true whatsoever. When I was a kid, my collecting heyday was between 84-86 (12-14 years old). At the time every year for Christmas my parents would give me a "subscription" (which meant buying me every title of every Marvel comic between those years at a comic shop). I don't have a clue whatever happened to all those books, probably traded them for SA whenever I could. By the time I was 17-18 I was setting up at shows selling off anything I could to have the perfect prom and send myself to University. The 'M" logo direct distribution price box is my nostalgic point, as they are relatively worthless but a few but bring me back to a wonderful time. Everything else is dollar signs to me now.

Jim

I still have all of my OO copies.

Most are bagged and boarded.

But I read them. Read them all like crazy. And it shows on many.

Man, I love comics....

Did you keep them at your parents or move them?

Or still live there? :baiting:

I have them all over the place, honestly.

Houses in several states, different boxes, one vault though, haha.

One day I will have to get them all together, but I'm not looking forward to it.

9,585 of those bad boys have been graded.

10 at 9.9

672 at 9.8 (536 Blue, 3 Green, 130 Yellow, 3 Purple)

If my math is right (I sure as heck don't trust it), 14% of the books graded have hit 9.8+.

Actually, it's 6.8% receive CGC 9.8 or higher (Universal grades).

Has it always been 6.8%?

Let's check...

cgc98asm300.png

This graph represents Universal grades only.

a = January to June, b = July to December

Where do you get such wonderful graphs? :)

He is Chartacus

10 at 9.9

If my math is right (I sure as heck don't trust it), 14% of the books graded have hit 9.8+.

Has it always been 6.8%?

Let's check...

cgc98asm300.png

He is Chartacus

I am Chartacus.

People do not understand what the marketplace in the late 90s was like - eBay was an arbitrage dream. You could buy books at shows and flip them almost instantly for 100-300% profit easily. And, conversely, you could do the same by buying something on eBay and moving it at a show.

eBay in the late 1990s was the wild wild west. It was awesome and scary at the same time. The end came from CGC and just volume. Hard to be the frontier when everyone moved in.

It was arbitrage heaven. I remember the late 90's and even early 2000's being a time when you could not only do as you've stated but you could buy collections using ebay and remarket them a couple of weeks later for very great returns. T

Don't even get me started on buying DVDs from Columbia House and selling them on Ebay and clocking fat stacks '99-'02. HTF DVDs, Criterion collection discs, etc. It was easy money.

So True. I made a lot of money off out of print dvds like Salo and Last of the Dogmen.

10 at 9.9

Has it always been 6.8%?

Let's check...

cgc98asm300.png

He is Chartacus

I am Chartacus.

Great. Now I've got a mashup of Spartcus and the 1989 Batman movie playing in the my head.

10 at 9.9

Has it always been 6.8%?

Let's check...

cgc98asm300.png

He is Chartacus

I am Chartacus.

I am Chartacus.

What do you think happened to the books they had as kids? They probably still have them.

Most of the people who don't still have the comics they had as kids in the 80s and 90s probably no longer care about comics.

People move, go to college, etc...if they can't store them at their parents place they probably sold them online or at a garage sale. Now they want some of them back.

We're talking about Copper Age collectors here, not the entire history of collecting. Collections were not thrown out by parents en masse like they were in previous generations and there was little financial incentive to sell a collection that didn't contain the absolute best books.

Also, we can't ignore the increase in the average age of collectors.

Of course there are exceptions, but that is exactly what they are - exceptions.

It is far more likely that the average Copper Age collector who actually grew up with Copper Age books is buying what they were unable to acquire (for whatever reason) or what didn't interest them when they were younger.

That's a broad and generalized statement and therefor incorrect.

Broad and generalized statements are only "incorrect" when presented as absolutes or applied to individual cases without consideration of specific facts and individuality. Or when they're complete B.S. not based on reality, obviously.

People do not understand what the marketplace in the late 90s was like - eBay was an arbitrage dream. You could buy books at shows and flip them almost instantly for 100-300% profit easily. And, conversely, you could do the same by buying something on eBay and moving it at a show.

eBay in the late 1990s was the wild wild west. It was awesome and scary at the same time. The end came from CGC and just volume. Hard to be the frontier when everyone moved in.

It was arbitrage heaven. I remember the late 90's and even early 2000's being a time when you could not only do as you've stated but you could buy collections using ebay and remarket them a couple of weeks later for very great returns. T

Don't even get me started on buying DVDs from Columbia House and selling them on Ebay and clocking fat stacks '99-'02. HTF DVDs, Criterion collection discs, etc. It was easy money.

So True. I made a lot of money off out of print dvds like Salo and Last of the Dogmen.

Awesome flick I watch at least once a year if I can.

That's a broad and generalized statement and therefor incorrect. People move, go to college, etc...if they can't store them at their parents place they probably sold them online or at a garage sale. Now they want some of them back.

I have all my comics from when I was a kid.

The problem is, they look like they were owned by a kid.

Damn kids.

People move, go to college, etc...if they can't store them at their parents place they probably sold them online or at a garage sale. Now they want some of them back.

We're talking about Copper Age collectors here, not the entire history of collecting. Collections were not thrown out by parents en masse like they were in previous generations and there was little financial incentive to sell a collection that didn't contain the absolute best books.

Also, we can't ignore the increase in the average age of collectors.

Of course there are exceptions, but that is exactly what they are - exceptions.

It is far more likely that the average Copper Age collector who actually grew up with Copper Age books is buying what they were unable to acquire (for whatever reason) or what didn't interest them when they were younger.

That's a broad and generalized statement and therefor incorrect.

Broad and generalized statements are only "incorrect" when presented as absolutes or applied to individual cases without consideration of specific facts and individuality. Or when they're complete B.S. not based on reality, obviously.

A lot of guys who collected as kids in the 80's, did not continue to collect as they grew older, into their teens and so on.....andin one way or another, their collections were disregarded, poorly stored , given away to a younger cousin etc., or unloaded.

I collected , as in going to comic shows, hanging out at my local comic shop with my childhood best friend, for a couple of years.I was around 10 when I really got into the joy of collecting.

By the time I hit 13, all that mess went out the window for me.The opposite sex,getting into music and skateboarding were the prime things that captured my interests.

Subsequently, I put my comics in a box, in a closet and forgot about them til I was old enough to legally drink.Started selling on ebay/at shows around that time for extra money and my collection was part of what was sold, gradually.The books that I had weren't worth much anyway, I had no keys and had collecting to read.I never paid "hot book" prices as a kid.

I had about 10 silver age books, the best of them was an Fantastic Four 67 and an Avengers 15 in around GD/VG.

This may not have been the 1950''s/1960's era when comics were thrown out by parents en masse but a lot of us simply outgrew collecting comics and as we have gotten older, nostaligia and outgrowing adolescent hobbies , drew us back into collecting.

....and there are plenty of variables to the "what happened to my 80's childhood collection, as well.

My personal collection is largely 80's Amazing Spiderman's and Daredevil's raw newwstand copies in VF/NM to NM+.Other than that, I have a collection of around 75 pre-code crime and horror books (only in FR to GD) just because I love those genres and cannot justify having more than a $100 into a single book.Same reason I won't pay $100 for a slabbed Miller Daredevil key, I'd rather have a cherry (enough) copy in NM.Occasionally I'll dig out my Millers and read them again........can't do that with slabbed copies which cost $100 or so per book.I like the feel and smell of cheap newsprint in my hand , there's no comparison between having reading copies and anything else, for me.

I have bought every single one of these books in the past 20 years.And as a 39 year old, I'm still buying for my personal collection.....hence my CopperAgeKids board name and ebay user ID ;)

I like this.