• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

I picked up A Dream of Flying trade in May of 1999 for $1 in Guerneville, CA, and sold it for $88 on eBay.

Did I buy that one? hm

I dunno. It was 1999, three years before our paths would cross "officially."

Probably not then... I remember buying a Miracleman trade from you... around the time I bought your Magneto #0 Gold. hm

9,585 of those bad boys have been graded.

10 at 9.9

672 at 9.8 (536 Blue, 3 Green, 130 Yellow, 3 Purple)

If my math is right (I sure as heck don't trust it), 14% of the books graded have hit 9.8+.

Actually, it's 6.8% receive CGC 9.8 or higher (Universal grades).

Has it always been 6.8%?

Let's check...

cgc98asm300.png

This graph represents Universal grades only.

a = January to June, b = July to December

I love Copper books, but I personally do not get paying premiums for newsstand versions.

I understand some collectors target and love them, but I've always like the artwork in the boxes, myself.

I do not pay attention to the difference, just go for the cheaper, best looking book I can get, but is there a substantial difference nowadays between the two?

It doesn't always translate to a price premium, but here's some of the reasons (they're not mutually exclusive) people would like to get a newsstand copy:

1. They're completionists. Plenty of collectors in every hobby want 1 of everything in their focus.

2. The hunt: In many cases, newsstand (especially in high grade) is more rare than the direct version. People enjoy the hunt, or the idea that they own something more rare.

3. They like the idea of owning comics 'off the rack' the, same way they used to buy them when they were growing up.

Some are obviously more rare than others, and some are more demand than others, and sometimes that results in a premium to varying degrees.

Yeah, I get it.

I even understand it.

It's just not how I "collect".

Nothing wrong with it, and it's cool that they enjoy it. But to me, I could take the $400 for say a newsstand slab, and spend that on a different I want.

Bought a large Bronze / Copper / Modern collection last week sight unseen, the collector seemed to only buy no.1's and / or comics with SHINY covers !

Some nice books I know about but lots of Indies I don't, and lots of duplicates as follows...

ASM no.375 - 29 copies!

X-Files no.1 (numbered) - 9 copies

The Matrix - 43 copies :sick: wasn't this supposed to be "rare" once upon a time?

Advs of Superman no.500 - probably about 100 copies (all sealed in white bags)

Dynamic Forces comics with COAs - things like Darkchylde, Tomb-Raider, lots of comics with half-naked women on them -100 or so

Lots of Predator & Aliens

Always find it interesting what people collected...

In closing, I do apologize to RockMyAmadues for my somewhat brutish remark of calling the initial post I responded to as "nonsense".I didn;t mean it in the context it was read in.

You should also apologize for calling him RockMyAmadues. He really hates that. 2c

If it works now, chances are the prices will only get higher, with time.

Copper age collectors are now dudes in their 30's to early 40's, who now have successful careers, homes etc....i.e.spending money to buy the titles they read as kids in the 80's.

*****Read into this statement as in 2015 , we now have a new generation of collectors who want to collect/pay good money for the books they had as kids.*****

That is KEY in forecasting that copper age willl continue to be a strong part of the comic book hobby/business.As they now have money(oppposed to being broke college kids in 1999 AND factoring in the strong nostalgia factor for their 80-90's childhood comics....the slow but steady pricing trend of heading upwards will continue.

You don't say. :grin:

If it works now, chances are the prices will only get higher, with time.

Copper age collectors are now dudes in their 30's to early 40's, who now have successful careers, homes etc....i.e.spending money to buy the titles they read as kids in the 80's.

*****Read into this statement as in 2015 , we now have a new generation of collectors who want to collect/pay good money for the books they had as kids.*****

That is KEY in forecasting that copper age willl continue to be a strong part of the comic book hobby/business.As they now have money(oppposed to being broke college kids in 1999 AND factoring in the strong nostalgia factor for their 80-90's childhood comics....the slow but steady pricing trend of heading upwards will continue.

You don't say. :grin:

You know the 80s ended over 25 years ago, right? :baiting:

What do you think happened to the books they had as kids? They probably still have them.

Most of the people who don't still have the comics they had as kids in the 80s and 90s probably no longer care about comics.

What do you think happened to the books they had as kids? They probably still have them.

Most of the people who don't still have the comics they had as kids in the 80s and 90s probably no longer care about comics.

That's a broad and generalized statement and therefor incorrect. People move, go to college, etc...if they can't store them at their parents place they probably sold them online or at a garage sale. Now they want some of them back.

That's a broad and generalized statement and therefor incorrect. People move, go to college, etc...if they can't store them at their parents place they probably sold them online or at a garage sale. Now they want some of them back.

I have all my comics from when I was a kid.

The problem is, they look like they were owned by a kid.

That's me. I sold most of my comics to buy a car in high school keeping only my favorites (mostly Byrne X-Men & NNT). when I started collecting again a few years ago, first thing I did was purchase the books I had as a kid AND the books I WISH I had as a kid (eg X-men 94, GSX1 etc.). Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

This was my experience and the experience of many of my friends. The market crash was emotionally disheartening and I've moved about 10 times in the last 25 years. The long boxes were one of the first things I shed :sorry: I did keep everything I truly loved, but my original owner G.I. Joe collection isn't worth much these days :whatev: I have noticed that many of the people that did save their books, sold off over the last two years. It seems that they lit out as soon as they were able to break even. hm

9,585 of those bad boys have been graded.

10 at 9.9

672 at 9.8 (536 Blue, 3 Green, 130 Yellow, 3 Purple)

If my math is right (I sure as heck don't trust it), 14% of the books graded have hit 9.8+.

Actually, it's 6.8% receive CGC 9.8 or higher (Universal grades).

Has it always been 6.8%?

Let's check...

cgc98asm300.png

This graph represents Universal grades only.

a = January to June, b = July to December

Where do you get such wonderful graphs? :)

That's me. I sold most of my comics to buy a car in high school keeping only my favorites (mostly Byrne X-Men & NNT). when I started collecting again a few years ago, first thing I did was purchase the books I had as a kid AND the books I WISH I had as a kid (eg X-men 94, GSX1 etc.). Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

My friend, you win the award for the most powerful and accurate statement in this thread

^^

If you dont know what it feels like reuniting with a NM copy of a memorable book, a book that your mom bought you as a little kid which you read cover to cover hundreds of times - NOT EVEN A KEY - a book which turned to shreds in the past 30 years, or one that you lost in the process of moving - You don't understand the concept of collectibles.

That book is priceless end of story

I have all my comics from when I was a kid.

The problem is, they look like they were owned by a kid.

+1

That's why we swoop back in and buy them in a CGC holder.