• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

You're lumping different things into the category of "imagery." Some people like to conflate "imagery" and the term "appearance" as it applies to comic collecting, but I think the latter has a generally accepted historical meaning that doesn't include marketing or editorial content.

But agreed that CGC is inconsistent about the labeling. It would be nice if a large group of comics experts could come together and establish terminology that could be used industry-wide, similar to Overstreet's Grading Guide. I see many different categories that could be established to clarify a character's depiction/appearance history.

Imagery, in my terms, means the first time you see the character. Could be pinup, cameo, appearance, etc.

On 2/16/2018 at 11:49 AM, 1Cool said:

1st appearances should never be in a non-story pin up or promo.  You have books like X-Men Annual 14 being designated as Gambit cameo but a pin up is called the 1st appearance?  Just weak on so many different levels.

It's called "making money off of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons" lol

On 2/17/2018 at 3:30 PM, ygogolak said:

It's as clear as mud.

Cable

1st imagery - Marvel Age #82

1st comic story - Uncanny X-Men #201 (baby)

1st comic story as Cable - New Mutants #87

CGC Label:
UXM 201 - 1st appearance of Cable as Baby Nathan

New Mutants #87 - 1st appearance of Cable

Shatterstar

1st imagery - New Mutants Annual #6

1st comic story - New Mutants #99

CGC Label - New Mutants Annual #6

Darkhawk

1st imagery - Marvel Age #97 (cover image, not in story preview)

1st comic story - Darkhawk #1

CGC Label - Darkhawk #1

Gwenpool

1st imagery - Deadpool / Hawkeye #0 (cosplay / costume)

1st cover - Deadpool's Secret Wars #2 variant

1st comic story - Howard the Duck #1

CGC Label - Howard the Duck #1

DPSW says "Gwenpool cover"

Domino

1st imagery - New Mutants #98

1st comic story as real Domino - X-Force #8

Creator's opinion of 1st appearance - X-Force #11

CGC Label - X-Force #11

Batman who Laugh's

1st imagery / comic story - Teen Titans #12 / Metal #2

Creator's opinion of 1st appearance - Metal #2

CGC Label - ???

So, to apply the new standards to the old keys:

DC Comics Presents #26: 1st imagery of Raven, Starfire & Cyborg (in Robin's Dream)

New Teen Titans #1: 1st True physical appearance of Raven, Starfire and Cyborg

Its just new collectors trying to change established procedures for Cameos and 1st appearances. If enough money flows in they will change
the standards. Never before would you get $20-30 for MA 12 raw. Heck MA 82 just sold for $35.

Do I care? Nope I am more then happy to supply these new collectors with these books that I can find for nothing. Their trick will be convincing
the next generation of collectors that these inflated prices they are paying on books that are not difficult to find is worth it.

14 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Its just new collectors trying to change established procedures for Cameos and 1st appearances. If enough money flows in they will change
the standards. Never before would you get $20-30 for MA 12 raw. Heck MA 82 just sold for $35.

Do I care? Nope I am more then happy to supply these new collectors with these books that I can find for nothing. Their trick will be convincing
the next generation of collectors that these inflated prices they are paying on books that are not difficult to find is worth it.

Not really. You and I can argue back and forth about cameo, first, etc...

But when CGC puts in on a label, people gravitate towards that. And they are inconsistent.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:01 AM, ygogolak said:
On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:29 PM, fastballspecial said:

Not really. You and I can argue back and forth about cameo, first, etc...

But when CGC puts in on a label, people gravitate towards that. And they are inconsistent.

We are not talking about the same thing. CGC has been around for several years. They are not causing these swells in prices on a character's 1st cover, 1st shadow cameo, 1st cameo, 1st full app, 1st storyline issue and so on. 

These adjustments are coming from the new collector/seller/speculator base that has entered the hobby the last few years. In some cases they are gambling on what the slab might say later and in some cases just pushing up values of books like the Marvel Age books or some of the Venom cover ASM books that CGC has nothing to do with the increase in their values over the last few years. Its hard speculation. I know this because everytime a new update comes out or one of the speculators sites feature a book my copy I have for sale is gone the next day. Lobo 63 was the one I can think of recently.

Now I say all that above, but I dont intend it to be negative. It just reflects the change in our hobby the last 5 years or so. Again I personally could care less I have liquidated most of personal collection several years back opting for safer investments. Now I just enjoy chasing books for profit and fun. The new base has just become new customers for me.

Edited by fastballspecial

For those of you who "could care less" . . . 

Is it 'I Could Care Less' or 'I Couldn't Care Less'? (Video) | Merriam ...

Jan 13, 2017
If you don't care about something, do you say 'I couldn't care less' or 'I could care less'? The logical ...

On February 25, 2018 at 2:02 PM, divad said:

For those of you who "could care less" . . . 

Is it 'I Could Care Less' or 'I Couldn't Care Less'? (Video) | Merriam ...

Jan 13, 2017
If you don't care about something, do you say 'I couldn't care less' or 'I could care less'? The logical ...

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

(a particular pet peeve of mine)

Wow - not sure if this is a sign of the times to come or just a one and done but I sold a NM 99 CGC 9.6 for $130 which is double last GPA.   Could also have something to do with it being newsstand.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122995310238

Edited by 1Cool

With the 3 month old Thanos 13 hitting $60 with the first appearance of Cosmic Ghost Rider, sales for this book have spiked a bit....Can't see this lasting long since there is literally no connection to the new character.

Guardians Of The Galaxy 13

2 hours ago, cd4ever said:

With the 3 month old Thanos 13 hitting $60 with the first appearance of Cosmic Ghost Rider, sales for this book have spiked a bit....Can't see this lasting long since there is literally no connection to the new character.

Guardians Of The Galaxy 13

Re: Thanos 13, I've been a bit surprised how much less the Legacy Lenticular cover is going for vs. the regular cover (obviously the 1:25 Albuquerque significantly more). Given the whole hoopla around ordering restrictions for the Legacy Lenticulars, I would've thought there'd be less of those out in the wild, but lenticular has only really been selling for $10-15 (a few closer to $7!) whereas normal cover hitting $50-70 as you mentioned.

2 hours ago, CKinTO said:

Re: Thanos 13, I've been a bit surprised how much less the Legacy Lenticular cover is going for vs. the regular cover (obviously the 1:25 Albuquerque significantly more). Given the whole hoopla around ordering restrictions for the Legacy Lenticulars, I would've thought there'd be less of those out in the wild, but lenticular has only really been selling for $10-15 (a few closer to $7!) whereas normal cover hitting $50-70 as you mentioned.

I thought they relaxed the ordering restrictions because there was so much backlash from shops?

On 2/18/2018 at 3:27 PM, boomtown said:

So, to apply the new standards to the old keys:

DC Comics Presents #26: 1st imagery of Raven, Starfire & Cyborg (in Robin's Dream)

New Teen Titans #1: 1st True physical appearance of Raven, Starfire and Cyborg

Here is a screenshot of Batman Who Laughs CGC. Label says origin, so TT12 should be the first appearance.

laugh.jpg

44 minutes ago, Hollywood_Bob said:

Here is a screenshot of Batman Who Laughs CGC. Label says origin, so TT12 should be the first appearance.

I just don't get why Teen Titans #12 is regarded as the first appearance.  Didn't Metal #2 release on the same day and doesn't that story procede Teen Titans #12?  Doesn't make sense to me.

15 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I thought they relaxed the ordering restrictions because there was so much backlash from shops?

No they never did. And although Marvel announced a little while ago (after the release) that the Lenticulars would become open order, there was so much backlash from the shops that did up their orders to get them, Marvel went back on it within a day or two... 

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01/09/marvel-comics-withdraws-legacy-lenticular-variant-cover-sale/

And yes on BWL, believe it was mentioned somewhere that CGC was going to wait for the market to decide 1st app (and market has spoken it’s TT12) before noting on their slabs. But still haven’t. 

And with that, back to regularly scheduled Copper programming... :)

Edited by CKinTO
Typos