• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2024 at 12:52 PM, shadroch said:

I might price one at $10 and the others at $5. I sell at many non-traditional venues, so I'm curious how my pricing will align with that of the twenty or so other vendors. 

My supplier seems to have an endless supply of issues 1-6.

My LCS always told me Spawn 1 was his best repeat seller. Id buy them all if you get them that cheap. I sell them routinely at shows for $20 in NM and higher.

On 3/29/2024 at 5:18 PM, littledoom said:
On 3/29/2024 at 5:07 PM, the blob said:

I have 30 copies in a box somewhere. I should find them. Not a copper, but is Superman 204 really now a $10+ book? I have 50 copies somewhere....

Used to be a solid $5 seller based on the iconic Jim Lee cover

I look at the time for a newsstand copy never see one.

Last Saturday, I did the Tucson Comic and Toy Show. I had a $10 Spawn 1 on my display rack and two in my $5 box. No one asked about the wall book, and one was missing from the $5 box. I had a half box of Spawns and Turtles,priced aggressively, but I told anyone who came by I was offering 30% discounts for three books. I sold over 600 dollar box books, but most at a discount. I had all sorts of looks at a CGC Ultimate Fallout 4, but no one wanted to pony up $500. I had enough interest in my toys that I will bring more next time. Lugging boxes of plastic is easier than comic boxes.

On 4/6/2024 at 9:15 PM, fastballspecial said:

My LCS always told me Spawn 1 was his best repeat seller. Id buy them all if you get them that cheap. I sell them routinely at shows for $20 in NM and higher.

I remember waaaaaay back in the days of working at a LCS (we're talking 25 years ago) we would pay 10 cents a piece for Spawn 1's, and sell them for $10 each, and we never ran out of copies coming into, or selling out of, the shop. it was the easiest and fastest flip imaginable, with a seemingly never-ending supply to go with a never-ending demand. Price them above $10 and they'd sit, but at 10 bucks, they'd move all day long.

Going forward, I had a hard time paying more than $1 for a copy, because I'd seen so many of them over the years, I just couldn't justify the cost. Eventually that bumped up to about $3. Nowadays, I might be willing to spend $10 for a really sharp copy, but that would still make me grit my teeth. I walked into a LCS this weekend, and they had a raw, standard copy on the wall asking $60??? Looks like eBay prices are $20-$30, which seems crazy. 9.8 slabs are selling for under $150 these days, why not just go that route? Crazy stuff.

On 4/9/2024 at 8:18 AM, F For Fake said:

I remember waaaaaay back in the days of working at a LCS (we're talking 25 years ago) we would pay 10 cents a piece for Spawn 1's, and sell them for $10 each, and we never ran out of copies coming into, or selling out of, the shop. it was the easiest and fastest flip imaginable, with a seemingly never-ending supply to go with a never-ending demand. Price them above $10 and they'd sit, but at 10 bucks, they'd move all day long.

Going forward, I had a hard time paying more than $1 for a copy, because I'd seen so many of them over the years, I just couldn't justify the cost. Eventually that bumped up to about $3. Nowadays, I might be willing to spend $10 for a really sharp copy, but that would still make me grit my teeth. I walked into a LCS this weekend, and they had a raw, standard copy on the wall asking $60??? Looks like eBay prices are $20-$30, which seems crazy. 9.8 slabs are selling for under $150 these days, why not just go that route? Crazy stuff.

We are now seeing a generation of collectors that have no idea how many copies are out there of certain books. If you are at a show and you dont see ASM 300, Spawn 1 and Avengers Annual 10 its a really bad show. There are just alot of copies in general. 

On 3/24/2024 at 9:34 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

hm

image.thumb.png.2106ac99ce186419d79c2a34a6583f25.png

I own a CGC 9.8 copy of the green, silver, and gold covers simply because I like the covers and can remember when they were originally released. I don't expect them to ever really be worth much. Sometimes I buy a particular comic only for sentimental and nostalgic reasons. Because of the memories.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1809448056083976&type=3

Edited by Joel0109

On 11/3/2021 at 11:30 PM, littledoom said:

It’s not a DC or Marvel case it’s a Todd case. That Infinity Inc run which is drawn by Todd happens to be DC and someone for some reason wanted to contrast the hotness between DC and Marvel. I’m just here talking Todd. But if we’re going there All Star Squadron 47 and Crow 1. Both bananas, both not Marvel. Just quality Todd covers. 

In the when fall the might category....

Quoth the Joker; HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

image.thumb.png.15ad284f51c5fe368d46ae989afc93dc.png

Peeps has been buying these raw for more than than just a few years ago.

I'd say we need a "Copper's Cooling/Selling Poorly on Ebay" topic , but it would encompass too much :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 4/10/2024 at 12:53 PM, MAR1979 said:

In the when fall the might category....

Quoth the Joker; HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

image.thumb.png.15ad284f51c5fe368d46ae989afc93dc.png

I've sold raw high grade copies for $100 before...

On 4/10/2024 at 3:55 PM, littledoom said:

I've sold raw high grade copies for $100 before...

Yep's and they were flying off the shelves so to speak :) ,  As recently as Oct 2022 9.8's were commanding 400-450. IMHO $100 is an over-correction. To me it seems like it should be a $175-200 book but the market has spoken.

The one pictured is in the CGC serial range of a huge 9.8 run of All-Star Squadron. I'm wondering if it was Vanes' collection?

BTW littledoom: I was only using your post to demonstrate how much things have changed, nothing deeper and no malice or dig intended.

Edited by MAR1979

On 4/10/2024 at 3:57 PM, MAR1979 said:

Yep's and they were flying off the shelves so to speak :) ,  As recently as Oct 2022 9.8's were commanding 400-450. IMHO $100 is an over-correction. To me it seems like it should be a $175-200 book but the market has spoken.

The one pictured is in the CGC serial range of a huge 9.8 run of All-Star Squadron. I'm wondering if it was Vanes' collection?

BTW littledoom: I was only using your post to demonstrate how much thingd.s have changed, nothing deeper and no malice or dig intende

I just sold my All Star 47 CGC 9.8 on Ebay for $175. this week. I agree that this is a fair market value. 

On 4/10/2024 at 4:34 PM, comicartfan said:

I just sold my All Star 47 CGC 9.8 on Ebay for $175. this week. I agree that this is a fair market value. 

image.thumb.png.1dc43dbf5b7a0de33bc1e6fe87f07446.png

Is $103 then an outlier or Downward Sublimation to its new normal FMV?

Edited by MAR1979

On 4/10/2024 at 4:52 PM, comicartfan said:

Anytime it's an auction, it could be new high or a new low. But in my opinion, it isn't the market. 

It’s the new market value for people stupid enough to auction stuff on E-Bay.  Very, very few new highs being realized currently.

Edited by 1Cool

On 4/10/2024 at 9:27 PM, 1Cool said:

It’s the new market value for people stupid enough to auction stuff on E-Bay.  Very, very few new highs being realized currently.

Conversely; unless a rare book (or rare in grade) , only a truly stupid moe ron would purchase stuff at much higher price at shows/cons or other online venue's.

*by rare I mean Gold and Silver perhaps even some Bronze, certainly not high population Copper.

Edited by MAR1979

On 4/10/2024 at 9:55 PM, MAR1979 said:

Conversely; unless a rare book (or rare in grade) , only a truly stupid moe ron would purchase stuff at much higher price at shows/cons or other online venue's.

*by rare I mean Gold and Silver perhaps even some Bronze, certainly not high population Copper.

for a raw, book in hand, trust in condition, don't need to pay for shipping

On 4/9/2024 at 9:06 PM, fastballspecial said:

We are now seeing a generation of collectors that have no idea how many copies are out there of certain books. If you are at a show and you dont see ASM 300, Spawn 1 and Avengers Annual 10 its a really bad show. There are just alot of copies in general. 

let's stop harping on this while we have copies to sell please, i have to figure out how to pay for college for two kids (somehow my parents didn't seem to have this problem because it was my problem, but I don't want them saddled with excessive debt)

On 4/11/2024 at 12:26 AM, the blob said:

for a raw, book in hand, trust in condition, don't need to pay for shipping

Most definitely , however the conversation pertained to slabbed as in the 9.8 All-Star Squadron 47

On 4/11/2024 at 12:26 AM, the blob said:

let's stop harping on this while we have copies to sell please, i have to figure out how to pay for college for two kids (somehow my parents didn't seem to have this problem because it was my problem, but I don't want them saddled with excessive debt)

Not sure how much time you have but if close to a decade, Buffets advice of "put and keep putting everything you can into a solid S&P 500 fund and leave it there" worked for me.

Edited by MAR1979

On 4/11/2024 at 10:09 AM, MAR1979 said:

Most definitely , however the conversation pertained to slabbed as in the 9.8 All-Star Squadron 47

Not sure how much time you have but if close to a decade, Buffets advice of "put and keep putting everything you can into a solid S&P 500 fund and leave it there" worked for me.

That's all well and good, but I need to convert those comics into money to put in the S&P 500 first and badmouthing them ain't gonna help me! And no, on one I have 5 years and the other one is already in college. I do have a decade before I fully retire, I think, and all of my retirement money is already in the S&P 500.

Wow. I used to own a bunch of McFarlane DC pages and a couple of covers. One of the old school LCSs locally closed in the early 2000s and were selling off their backstock and OA for dirt cheap. I paid $10 per page and $40 for the covers. I promptly flipped them on eBay for a quick big win. I should have held onto a couple of the nicer ones.........doh!

On 4/9/2024 at 9:06 PM, fastballspecial said:

and demand is sinking.  ASM Direct Sales 300 in 9.8 will negatively breach 2k before end of year 2024.   2 years ago 9.6 were commanding near 2k.

Spawn 1 what a total frickin' joke. Highest 9.8 and above population ALL-TIME. The 9.8 and 9.9 numbers are staggeringly huge and still growing!!!  There are less grains sand on a beach than copies of Spawn 1 in 9.8+

Books CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
 1. Spawn 1 (5/92, Image Comics)
            1st appearance of Spawn (Al Simmons). 2nd Image "i" logo. Pull-out Spawn poster.
Universal 25,329 9.54 6 69 11,758 6,577 3,217 1,530 974 533 328 129 109 45 26 13 7 2 3         1     2
Edited by MAR1979

I wonder if the crypto bros that were buying ASM 300 CGC 9.8s from a LCS owner friend for $10K at the peak are still holding them?