• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2024 at 2:31 PM, 1Cool said:

Next you are going to tell me Stevens was better than Zeck.

Stevens IS better than Zeck.

Seriously, though, I think the question is not if Dave Stevens is a popular artist in the vein of Art Adams or even Neal Adams. In my mind, it's more like whether Stevens will command premiums the way that, say, Matt Baker does. 

People like Adams, but they obsessively track every obscure Baker cover, and drive the prices through the roof on all of them.

On 4/19/2024 at 4:43 PM, Brock said:

Stevens IS better than Zeck.

Seriously, though, I think the question is not if Dave Stevens is a popular artist in the vein of Art Adams or even Neal Adams. In my mind, it's more like whether Stevens will command premiums the way that, say, Matt Baker does. 

People like Adams, but they obsessively track every obscure Baker cover, and drive the prices through the roof on all of them.

To me DS is on the same ilk as Frazetta even though their styles are different 

Edited by littledoom

Dealers have boxes of Stevens books that have been sitting in their back issue bins for decades. Now they've just graduated to being wall books. At the local convention I visited last weekend you could throw a dart and find whichever Stevens book you were looking for. 

On 4/19/2024 at 2:31 PM, 1Cool said:

Stevens was good but I'd rather collect Hughes or Campbell if I'm looking for girl art.

I do feel like At least some Hughes books have started to rise in the past couple of months. Not everything, for sure, but I see upward movement on the “big” Hughes books, like Catwoman 51 and 74, Harley Quinn 1, Teen Titans 75, Zatanna 15 and 16, etc. I also think “tough” books in CGC 9.8 are climbing - Legionnaires 16 DCU variant, Sable 19, Chassis 1, Stargrazers 1, etc.

On 4/20/2024 at 7:10 AM, Ryan. said:

Dealers have boxes of Stevens books that have been sitting in their back issue bins for decades. Now they've just graduated to being wall books. At the local convention I visited last weekend you could throw a dart and find whichever Stevens book you were looking for. 

idk if that is a good thing or a bad thing lol :butbutbutemoji:

On 4/20/2024 at 8:39 AM, Brock said:
On 4/19/2024 at 1:31 PM, 1Cool said:

Stevens was good but I'd rather collect Hughes or Campbell if I'm looking for girl art.

I do feel like At least some Hughes books have started to rise in the past couple of months. Not everything, for sure, but I see upward movement on the “big” Hughes books, like Catwoman 51 and 74, Harley Quinn 1, Teen Titans 75, Zatanna 15 and 16, etc. I also think “tough” books in CGC 9.8 are climbing - Legionnaires 16 DCU variant, Sable 19, Chassis 1, Stargrazers 1, etc.

I tried looking up the "DIRTY PAIR" Hughes/Stevens/PlanetComics homage cover #1, and bupkiss in rise...

If it is a flash in the pan, isn't it usually all boats and really quick? lol I might be optimistic, but at current prices I wouldn't be able to "replace" so will still probably hold, but "who knows!?!" lol:shy: 

On 4/20/2024 at 6:10 AM, Ryan. said:

Sounds like you are in a good market for them. There are two LCSs from the 80s still operating here.  They have/had cases of 80s and 90s Marvel and DC that they bring out regularly from storage, but not stuff like Eclipse. There was low demand for it then in our market so they unfortunately do not have any in storage. They rarely have them in back issue bins as well, and when they do they are FN to VF at best.

The high prices being paid for Dave Stevens covers in 9.8 makes sense to me. They are not as easy to find in 9.8 as other 80s and 90s books that were considered more valuable for longer. There is a larger fan base for his work that most think, even with 20 something’s that have disposable cash. 

Classic and Good Girl covers in all genres have been seeing steady increases then popping. With the advent of slabbing the cover art becomes more important. This is not a new trend, there is just more money chasing them now.

Been hoarding DS covers for years.Multiple copies on many.

Regarding art Adams & Adam Hughes.Art Adams is fantastic in his own right.I loved his Longshot and work he did for ABC,BUT,he can't hold a candle to Dave.Dave is a legand.His second creation(after Aurora),made it to the big screen.

AH is the currenmt GGA master and I have been getting a lot of his covers.Older works were much better but he can still knock it out of the park.

Scott Campbell? He did some mighty fine work early on but some of the recent stuff just makes my eyes hurt.

Dave is quickly rising to the top ranks of comic book artists.But.like who you want.

By my own submissions, I think the Dave Stevens books for the most part are easy to find in 9.8 grade raw.  I've had all the mainstream books in 9.8 with most in the 5-10 copies per book range.  Except for one book, Jungle Comics #1 I've only found one copy in 9.8 grade.  Very soft inks and a brutal back cover to keep in grade.   

On 4/17/2024 at 1:53 PM, kimik said:

Fantastic. McFarlane is signing at the Calgary Expo next week. I have a couple of Spawn #1 newsstands that will be priced at market. Hopefully they sell.

I'm pretty sure you can not get  them cgc witnessed.

On 4/20/2024 at 7:10 AM, Ryan. said:

I still find them in $1 boxes at flea markets and such. Its still not known well on many titles yet.