• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neatstuff Collection - :) or :(

107 posts in this topic

To be honest I would rather buy a nice mid grade AF 15 for the money you paid for this lot.

That's you, Oak. But as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have been buying keys for a while now and am currently into hi-grade S.A. raws. That allows me more time with my books, which I don't get with the one-shot wonders. (and FYI - I am already on the AF15 list with something worth far more than 11K, and have a 6.5 in the upcoming CC event auction)

But more to the point - the Neatstuff boxes arrived today...

I love the sound of: "The boxes of comics arrived today." :cloud9:

To be honest I would rather buy a nice mid grade AF 15 for the money you paid for this lot.

That's you, Oak. But as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have been buying keys for a while now and am currently into hi-grade S.A. raws. That allows me more time with my books, which I don't get with the one-shot wonders. (and FYI - I am already on the AF15 list with something worth far more than 11K, and have a 6.5 in the upcoming CC event auction)

:popcorn:

Pass the popcorn, we may be here a while. ;)

I just want to know the ratio of Neat to Stuff...

Ha-ha!

Well, one man's neat is another man's stuff, so who knows, right?

OK - "deets":

1. Shipment arrived very quickly

2. Books well packed

3. There were 2 long boxes and 1 short box

4. I opened short box and pulled out 10 books - seemed like 5.0's/6.0's through the bags

5. I opened one long box and spot checked another 15 or so - same average grade

6. I started going through the long box methodically - looked closely at the first 25 (btw - books were mixed up - not sorted by title or grade)

7. I'd say the average was between 5.5 and 6.0. I graded one a 7.0, and didn't see a single 8.0, or anything remotely close - that was it for me - I got the picture

8. I called Ross and asked if he packed the books by grade, thinking maybe I was in the "5.5" section and hadn't yet gotten to the 8.0's (though I'd spot-checked through the box)

9. He said no - all mixed up

10. I asked for a refund

11. Luckily his office is close to (er, not far from) where I live

12. Driving the collection back to him tomorrow -promised a full refund by Tuesday

13. He was very nice about everything

Lesson learned: No matter how old one may be or how "seasoned" a collector, one can still react to a "too-good-to-be-true deal" like a young kid

It seems it was a no lose gamble for you, Rich...glad it's going smoothly and it's always fun opening boxes of comics:)

That's a nice way to look at it Sharon!

Even though my saner side knew this was the way it was going to go (as did most of you all), my crazy collector side really wanted that VF average!

Oh well, guess I can pay my mortgage for the next few months...

What a shame it didn't work out for you, at least you got the refund and have educated the rest of us as to the accuracy of these auctions. :foryou:
+1. I think we've all seen those auctions and wondered. Thanks for sharing your experience, I wouldn't have been able to return them so easily. One more reason I love the boards! :cloud9:

It seems it was a no lose gamble for you, Rich...glad it's going smoothly and it's always fun opening boxes of comics:)

That's a nice way to look at it Sharon!

Even though my saner side knew this was the way it was going to go (as did most of you all), my crazy collector side really wanted that VF average!

Oh well, guess I can pay my mortgage for the next few months...

:signfunny: