• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neatstuff Collection - :) or :(

107 posts in this topic

When you inspect the books, presumably with an eye towards whether to keep or return them, I'd definitely take a close look at the interiors of the key books too. From the sheer scale of some of the comic lots they sell, I find it very plausible that some grading-through-the-bags takes place.

it is no secret that I have been trying to build my inventory so I have been keenly interested in some of the neat stuff lots. However, and I don't presume to want to rain on anyone's parade, I have been told by a few past winners that the books are only casually graded (one friend told me when he contacted Ross about the wide error on grading, especially interiors, missing coupons, back cover damage etc, Ross said he "obviously didnt take out each book of hundreds and grade, only a few random to get a feel of the overall condition"). This info has kept me from bidding so I am very hopeful racer x will have a new perspective, but my gut tells me disappointment awaits but I hope not :wishluck:

Thanks Rick, that well spells out my concerns.

he "obviously didnt take out each book of hundreds and grade, only a few random to get a feel of the overall condition"

That could work fine for an "average GVG" lot. For an "average VF" lot... yikes.

Save the return address...

:wishluck:

When you inspect the books, presumably with an eye towards whether to keep or return them, I'd definitely take a close look at the interiors of the key books too. From the sheer scale of some of the comic lots they sell, I find it very plausible that some grading-through-the-bags takes place.

it is no secret that I have been trying to build my inventory so I have been keenly interested in some of the neat stuff lots. However, and I don't presume to want to rain on anyone's parade, I have been told by a few past winners that the books are only casually graded (one friend told me when he contacted Ross about the wide error on grading, especially interiors, missing coupons, back cover damage etc, Ross said he "obviously didnt take out each book of hundreds and grade, only a few random to get a feel of the overall condition"). This info has kept me from bidding so I am very hopeful racer x will have a new perspective, but my gut tells me disappointment awaits but I hope not :wishluck:

Kinda funny to take that approach if advertising the average condition as VF. Maybe if the books were post-1990, but seems iffy for SA books. hm

I was simply advise getting an iron clad and in writing agreement about return policy prior to sending any money out. It could be legit or "good enough" which is fine but $11,000 clams is a lot to deal with debating over how to return and on what terms. Shared cost in postage would be a start.

Ed

Most of what I saw is about a Fine by modern standards. I think that'd still classify as high grade, just not as high as people want these days. Yeah. to each their own. I'd rather go invest that money in a key of buy a collection from an individual for much less. If you are buying a collection in bulk, you are doing the seller a HUGE favor. I expect a huge discount in return. The time value of money comes into play.

DG

I would trust dolgoff for buying collections but sadly he mostly deals in low to midgrade material. I just have never had a bad deal with him. is neatstuff carbonaro? Think i met him @ SDCON back in 2000.

+1 on Dolgoff. I wouldn't classify what I've bought from him as "collections." But the runs I've bought off him have always hit the mark with respect to grading.

I would trust dolgoff for buying collections but sadly he mostly deals in low to midgrade material. I just have never had a bad deal with him. is neatstuff carbonaro? Think i met him @ SDCON back in 2000.

+1 on Dolgoff. I wouldn't classify what I've bought from him as "collections." But the runs I've bought off him have always hit the mark with respect to grading.

.....he also has no problem with appointments where one can get involved in putting a package deal together in person. If they are still in business, Koch and Levine used to do that also. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Most of what I saw is about a Fine by modern standards. I think that'd still classify as high grade, just not as high as people want these days. Yeah. to each their own.

Fine is not high grade, regardless of age

Most of what I saw is about a Fine by modern standards. I think that'd still classify as high grade, just not as high as people want these days. Yeah. to each their own.

:cry:

I have seen others on the board mention that 7.0 is not high grade either. Is there a consensus on where high grade begins?

I have seen others on the board mention that 7.0 is not high grade either. Is there a consensus on where high grade begins?

We had a long running thread on this,and came to consensus that 7.5 is the start of high grade.

I think most people would agree that 8.0 starts high grade, however 7.5 is not out of the question. There are varied opinions. I strongly disagree with calling a mid grade (ie 6.0) comic high grade just because it's a certain age.

HG for any particular book seems to be a half grade above whatever shape my book is in, For pre-bronze books, I'd call anything 7.5 or above HG.

To be honest I would rather buy a nice mid grade AF 15 for the money you paid for this lot.

That's you, Oak. But as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have been buying keys for a while now and am currently into hi-grade S.A. raws. That allows me more time with my books, which I don't get with the one-shot wonders. (and FYI - I am already on the AF15 list with something worth far more than 11K, and have a 6.5 in the upcoming CC event auction)

But more to the point - the Neatstuff boxes arrived today...

To be honest I would rather buy a nice mid grade AF 15 for the money you paid for this lot.

That's you, Oak. But as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have been buying keys for a while now and am currently into hi-grade S.A. raws. That allows me more time with my books, which I don't get with the one-shot wonders. (and FYI - I am already on the AF15 list with something worth far more than 11K, and have a 6.5 in the upcoming CC event auction)

But more to the point - the Neatstuff boxes arrived today...

:popcorn: