• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neatstuff Collection - :) or :(

107 posts in this topic

Shame it didn't work out. At least you'll get the refund if that's what you want. One thing about Neatstuff, is that they are A+++ communicators and honourable. Ross is great to deal with.

+ 1

What a shame it didn't work out for you, at least you got the refund and have educated the rest of us as to the accuracy of these auctions. :foryou:
+1. I think we've all seen those auctions and wondered. Thanks for sharing your experience, I wouldn't have been able to return them so easily. One more reason I love the boards! :cloud9:

+2

One thing about Neatstuff, is that they are A+++ communicators and honourable. Ross is great to deal with.

:golfclap:

I agree it's great they have a excellent return policy. Can Ross not grade or ? you think they would do better if there lot's were at the very least "close" on grading. I would think many collector's would like ready made "collections" if they were "close" in the grading range. Really to bad, great business model but not really catering to collector's just attempting to take advantage of newbies? hm

This is a very good point.

Taking a collection back after being caught out is not the same as grading well to begin with.

-- now if he offered to exchange the books for an average VF collection of the same number, selection and price ... hm

Taking a collection back after being caught out is not the same as grading well to begin with.

-- now if he offered to exchange the books for an average VF collection of the same number, selection and price ... hm

Agreed. While having a no hassle return policy is nice, didn't Danny Dupchak have one as well. It seems like ebayer sellers are regularly excoriated for grossly overgrading books around here, especially when it looks like the calculation is that enough buyers won't return to make the ones that do worth the hassle.

This looks like a collection that has few if any VF books being pawned off as an average VF lot with the hope that the buyer can't grade. And not a small lot for a couple hundred, but one "worth" over ten grand to the seller. Anybody can botch the grade on a single book, or miss a few things when evaluating a large lot, but completely misrepresenting the condition of 500 books is disreputable behavior regardless of return policy.

I bought a couple books from neatstuff in the early days of ebay and was unimpressed with the grading, but they had been won at a low enough price that I kept them - and had bid somewhat accordingly as the pictures indicated the books might not quite be in the condition advertised.

Certainly in the case of the lot being discussed, there were enough pictures to cast doubt on the "VF average" description, but it was still only a fraction of the entire lot.

I'd say the working assumption is still that the seller typically overgrades by 3-4 grades. Does anyone have a different experience?

I bought a couple books from neatstuff in the early days of ebay and was unimpressed with the grading, but they had been won at a low enough price that I kept them - and had bid somewhat accordingly as the pictures indicated the books might not quite be in the condition advertised.

Certainly in the case of the lot being discussed, there were enough pictures to cast doubt on the "VF average" description, but it was still only a fraction of the entire lot.

I'd say the working assumption is still that the seller typically overgrades by 3-4 grades. Does anyone have a different experience?

Ouch!

Thank you for the information. I have been considering buying a bulk collection for resale purposes at conventions. This just confirms what I have seen with my own eyes when browsing these lots Neatstuff offers: VG to fine books being sold at a premium.

I will pass.

But more to the point - the Neatstuff boxes arrived today...

I just want to know the ratio of Neat to Stuff...

(btw - books were mixed up - not sorted by title or grade)

This made me laugh :grin:

We bought 70 longboxes of Moderns (1997 - 2007) around 5 years ago from Neatstuff.

Described as Near Mint, Full Runs, bagged and boarded & IN ORDER.

They were:

Near Mint

Full Runs

Bagged & Boarded

Shuffled like a pack of cards :censored:

It was a great deal but an extra fortnights work sorting them out!

Agreed. While having a no hassle return policy is nice, didn't Danny Dupchak have one as well. It seems like ebayer sellers are regularly excoriated for grossly overgrading books around here, especially when it looks like the calculation is that enough buyers won't return to make the ones that do worth the hassle.

This looks like a collection that has few if any VF books being pawned off as an average VF lot with the hope that the buyer can't grade. And not a small lot for a couple hundred, but one "worth" over ten grand to the seller. Anybody can botch the grade on a single book, or miss a few things when evaluating a large lot, but completely misrepresenting the condition of 500 books is disreputable behavior regardless of return policy.

This.

It may sound harsh, but ive watched these auctions by neatstuff for almost 8 years ( waiting for the full auction description to load is fun! ) I must say almost every large lot that ive seen earlier than modern seemed a point or two off the " average" listed.

I dont like sellers that play the overgrading game hoping they get an uninformed buyer that wont ask for a return. This is exactly what it looks like. Nice guy or not....

It's sad because this "VF average" lot being returned because it's nowhere near VF average, will now be passed on as a second chance offer, still as VF average. :(

No doubt, this collection will be reposted with the exact same grade, just hoping for a sucker with money to burn to come along :tonofbricks:

12. Driving the collection back to him tomorrow -promised a full refund by Tuesday

13. He was very nice about everything

Lesson learned: No matter how old one may be or how "seasoned" a collector, one can still react to a "too-good-to-be-true deal" like a young kid

Sorry about the deal not being what you wanted. I'm glad to hear you are getting a refund.

I don't think he'd be bulking these out if they were truly high grade.

DG

Thank you for the information. I have been considering buying a bulk collection for resale purposes at conventions. This just confirms what I have seen with my own eyes when browsing these lots Neatstuff offers: VG to fine books being sold at a premium.

I will pass.

I would never buy in bulk from a retailer unless I knew they were so large that they didn't know what they had and they'd let me pick the books I wanted.

DG